Legal or Illegal Hotel ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
We have a person in our residential neighborhood who is operating a Hotel.
Seems like a nice enough man, he seems as though he is marginally from some other island, but speaks fluent English.
This hotel brings in cheap tourists who stay a few days to raise hell drunk around the pool.
I think the place started as apartments but he needed to make some money, so I applaud him for making an adjustment except......

He allows the guests to play loud music through huge amplified speakers outdoors (loud and crappy music - like you would likely hear in barrios). But even if the music were good it is not acceptable to be heard 1/4 mile away and all night until 3, 4, or 5 AM. I walk the dogs at 7 AM and it is even sometimes still blaring.

I doubt the guy has a permit to operate as a hotel, and may or may not be paying the taxes required of a hotel, something which I would like to check.
Several neighbors have complained and yet he refuses to take action to lower the music.

Where do we begin to go to check on his permits to operate as a hotel and who will actually follow up on noise complaints.

I am not sure if a hotel is a legally permitted use in this residential development ?

I am usually live, let live but when others insist on infringing on the rights of others and refuse to act after multiple complaints by multiple neighbors and even a couple police visits then sometimes I will stick my nose in, though in reality I prefer not to

Sep 22, 2009
We have a person in our residential neighborhood who is operating a Hotel.
Seems like a nice enough man, he seems as though he is marginally from some other island, but speaks fluent English.
This hotel brings in cheap tourists who stay a few days to raise hell drunk around the pool.
I think the place started as apartments but he needed to make some money, so I applaud him for making an adjustment except......

He allows the guests to play loud music through huge amplified speakers outdoors (loud and crappy music - like you would likely hear in barrios). But even if the music were good it is not acceptable to be heard 1/4 mile away and all night until 3, 4, or 5 AM. I walk the dogs at 7 AM and it is even sometimes still blaring.

I doubt the guy has a permit to operate as a hotel, and may or may not be paying the taxes required of a hotel, something which I would like to check.
Several neighbors have complained and yet he refuses to take action to lower the music.

Where do we begin to go to check on his permits to operate as a hotel and who will actually follow up on noise complaints.

I am not sure if a hotel is a legally permitted use in this residential development ?

I am usually live, let live but when others insist on infringing on the rights of others and refuse to act after multiple complaints by multiple neighbors and even a couple police visits then sometimes I will stick my nose in, though in reality I prefer not to
To me CB, this would require a cita in the appropriate division of the fiscalía for starters. I don't think any licensing authority would just divulge permit data to anyone with an inquiry. Imo

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Medio Ambiente is where I would go for violations of loudness laws. They can confiscate the equipment.

Reactions: Fulano2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Maybe a talk with the local police informing them that he doesn't play Johnny Cash music BUT you are so inclined to play some of that music.for them. :unsure:

Sep 22, 2009
Call police noise laws violations They will confiscate equipment, I’ve seen it.
Confiscation of equipment is something you mainly see in the larger city areas like Santo Domingo or Santiago where the municipality can generate some bonus income. Trust me they are not going to nab your neighbor's stuff just because John Q Gringo is upset over some reggaeton. They will suggest you take it to the fiscalia, medio ambiente part, as Winded and I mentioned up

Reactions: Conchman

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Confiscation of equipment is something you mainly see in the larger city areas like Santo Domingo or Santiago where the municipality can generate some bonus income. Trust me they are not going to nab your neighbor's stuff just because John Q Gringo is upset over some reggaeton. They will suggest you take it to the fiscalia, medio ambiente part, as Winded and I mentioned up
My apologies I thought this was North Coast forum ..I seen in Cab police come twice then confiscate in back of pick up , you be judge why .

Reactions: Michael DR

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The PN came and confiscated the equipment from a parada near me that was playing music too loud. They were given a couple warning first.

On another occasion, I had to get Medio Ambiente to get another establishment to stop blasting their music. Try the PN first. That was much easier and faster. The official from Medio Ambiente was in Sosua.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It isn't just the music but groups of drunk teens or early 20s shouting all night and holding karaoke around the pool. The owner was a US resident at some point, and I do not fault him for trying to make a living, I applaud that.
But creating a menace and destroying people's peace to make $50/night per room from drunken Dominican guests is rude. Fortunately I live far enough away where it can't be heard if I shut my doors. But I hear it on my patio or around my pool.
And the people who live near by, some with young children, who maybe can't sleep must be livid. And I'm sure it keeps dogs from sleeping.

At some point the hotel will become too much for those adjacent neighbors and they will reach a breaking point.

This is why many people prefer gated communities - there aren't defacto flop hotels being created inside.

Reactions: Mariahboater

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It isn't just the music but groups of drunk teens or early 20s shouting all night and holding karaoke around the pool. The owner was a US resident at some point, and I do not fault him for trying to make a living, I applaud that.
But creating a menace and destroying people's peace to make $50/night per room from drunken Dominican guests is rude. Fortunately I live far enough away where it can't be heard if I shut my doors. But I hear it on my patio or around my pool.
And the people who live near by, some with young children, who maybe can't sleep must be livid. And I'm sure it keeps dogs from sleeping.

At some point the hotel will become too much for those adjacent neighbors and they will reach a breaking point.

This is why many people prefer gated communities - there aren't defacto flop hotels being created inside.
And there is something unique about noises in the night. A friend of mine owned a solid brick house one block away from a school yard where they played basketball under the lights at night. The THUMPING of the basketball drove him nuts. He complained to just about anybody other than the Supreme Court,LOL. Nothing he could ever do about it.