Leonel 2012???

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Maybe we should start the campaign here in DR1 for these two to step up to our demand, for a promising government and void of corrupted principals!
Uniting two warriors (Guerreros as in their last name, Wilton the flame and JL the general of the war *guerra as his last name)

Are their last names giving us a hint?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I agree !!! Count me in... (mandame la gorra, el poloche y las calcomanias porfa ;) )

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
By the way, what happened to Fukuoka after the earthquake ?
Anyway, "a son de guerra"... DR1's new anthem :)

May 12, 2005
Yes Pichardo, 16 years of the PLD is the best option out there right now. For the long term health of the country competent political parties are needed so issues can be debated.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
E' pa atras que vamos! Watch this video, Juan Luis Guerra is protesting about the amount of unaccomplished promises by PLD governments.

La guagua va en reversa = The bus is backing out.... ( the country)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9x_Zmt4S01s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you are telling now that he is going to run as candidate for this political party???

JJ

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
E' pa atras que vamos! Watch this video, Juan Luis Guerra is protesting about the amount of unaccomplished promises by PLD governments.

La guagua va en reversa = The bus is backing out.... ( the country)

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9x_Zmt4S01s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And you are telling now that he is going to run as candidate for this political party???

JJ

I know is very challenging for you to actually do it, but READ the post and try to understand it before you respond to it...

Wow! Talk about a single track mindset... :tired:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I know is very challenging for you to actually do it, but READ the post and try to understand it before you respond to it...

Wow! Talk about a single track mindset... :tired:
Challenging for me? yes...
Next time I will take more time to understand before to respond. I don't know much about polity but of something I'm pretty sure and is that PLD Eh pa' fuera que va!

JJ

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Challenging for me? yes...
Next time I will take more time to understand before to respond. I don't know much about polity but of something I'm pretty sure and is that PLD Eh pa' fuera que va!

JJ

Who do you suggest for president?

Please don't tell me Hipo, he for sure would bankrupt the country this time.

I can see it now $1 USD to $80 RDP

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Who do you suggest for president?

Please don't tell me Hipo, he for sure would bankrupt the country this time.

I can see it now $1 USD to $80 RDP
Well, Hipo might no be the best option for the country but right now he is the one with more posibilities to kick out of the government house the "Come solos".
I'm not a professional in economy sciences or an expert in politics, the only thing I see is that I started driving taxis back in 90s in the side as I used to work for many years as seller but when Leonel got in office all my numbers went down. ask any Taxi driver and they will tell you that back in 96 things was much better than now.
Every single week day I used to make RD $ 600. / 700. hundred Pesos and on weekends 100. /1200.
Go ahead get a piece of paper and a pen and make a survey to see how much they earn now after the danm 1996 when the ugly purple color got in power.

Votar against this people is the only choice we have no matter who!

JJ

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, Hipo might no be the best option for the country but right now he is the one with more posibilities to kick out of the government house the "Come solos".
I'm not a professional in economy sciences or an expert in politics, the only thing I see is that I started driving taxis back in 90s in the side as I used to work for many years as seller but when Leonel got in office all my numbers went down. ask any Taxi driver and they will tell you that back in 96 things was much better than now.
Every single week day I used to make RD $ 600. / 700. hundred Pesos and on weekends 100. /1200.
Go ahead get a piece of paper and a pen and make a survey to see how much they earn now after the danm 1996 when the ugly purple color got in power.

JJ

From my wife's perspective it is the opposite, and she is unpolitical. When the PRD is in power you have to bribe everyone to get any government business done. The education system bad as it is under the PLD, was and is worse under the PLD. The PLD at least tries to put someone with some education and knowledge into their reward jobs. Not so with the PRD. From a personal perspective the big difference I notice is at the airports and customs- under the PRD they are all thieves, and looking for a bribe. This is very rare under the PLD - MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
<b>ask any Taxi driver and they will tell you that back in 96 things was much better than now.</b>

JJ

<b>ask any Taxi driver and they will tell you that back in 96 things was much better than now.</b>
This just means that the transportation system improved tremendously.

The only reason why the PLD are called "los comes solos" by the other political parties is because the PLD restricts them from making themselves too rich through corruptions and stealing government funds.

You by willing to see the coutry bankrupt or not advance for the sake of taxi drivers to make more money is a perfect example of "COME SOLOS"

I am curious to know if these taxi drivers were making more money when Hipo was bankrupting the country?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
From a personal perspective the big difference I notice is at the airports and customs- under the PRD they are all thieves, and looking for a bribe. This is very rare under the PLD - MUCH MORE PROFESSIONAL.

In 2007 when my wife landed at MIA was missing her laps top power cord, someone took it from her bag at STI, PLD was in office by the time. thieves allover DR airports, be concerned of your belongings when going thru Dominican customs no matter what government is ruling the country.
What a shame for us!!!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
This just means that the transportation system improved tremendously.
If "motoconchos" taking place of Taxis mean progress? Then yes! transportation system have improved during the last 15 years.

JJ

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Has the standard of living of ordinary Dominicans improved during the Fernandez presidency? Now please don't misunderstand me, I don't ask this question to in anyway suggest that the ordinary Dominican benefited during the Hipo/PRD administration either. But, when we, and I include myself in that 'we', argue for the "status quo" and assert that things are better with LF and the PLD, it begs the question: 'better for who?"

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Has the standard of living of ordinary Dominicans improved during the Fernandez presidency? Now please don't misunderstand me, I don't ask this question to in anyway suggest that the ordinary Dominican benefited during the Hipo/PRD administration either. But, when we, and I include myself in that 'we', argue for the "status quo" and assert that things are better with LF and the PLD, it begs the question: 'better for who?"

Well in the time that I've been coming to the DR , since 1997, most of the Dominicans I met at that time are much better off now. There are several that aren't but that is due to financial mismanagement.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
If "motoconchos" taking place of Taxis mean progress? Then yes! transportation system have improved during the last 15 years.

JJ

You have to remember now that if you are talking about Santo Domingo, the implementation of the Subway and its bus system is probably cutting a chunk of the passengers' taxi routes.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
You have to remember now that if you are talking about Santo Domingo, the implementation of the Subway and its bus system is probably cutting a chunk of the passengers' taxi routes.

Nope, I'm talking about Santiago where I'm from.
Last time I was there found two new motoconchos stop in my mom's neighborhood at the same spots where I used to make the taxi line.
My ex-coworkers say people is not calling taxi like they used to do before, they are calling a moto-guy on the cellphone to bring them to make a connection with a carro publico. Economy is so slow now that frequent taxi customers only call for service when going to a special event; hospitals, discotheques,weddings,airports etc. etc.

JJ

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Just a few observations

1. Current economic situation is fairly bad, but about what could be expected. The DR has little choice in this; oil prices, global downturn, increase in drug-related crime, increasing food prices, DR-CAFTA and IMF make for a difficult time.
  2. Over the years I too have seen many improvements in the DR; roads, metro (doubtful as its effectiveness might be in terms of return on social capital); less corruption on the airports.
  3. There still remain many, many problems like those mentioned under 1 which could be better served with a continuation of current policy under experienced management.
  4. Tentatively, I believe that maintaining the current govt may be better. Not because they are much better than the other guys (except Danilo maybe) but because it will save us from the reshuffeling of jobs, the replacement of somewhat experienced civil servants with ones that are new to the job.
  5. The rift inside between Vargas and Meija will assure their party will loose the coming elections anyway; as both command too many votes for the one to win without the other.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
  1. Tentatively, I believe that maintaining the current govt may be better. Not because they are much better than the other guys (except Danilo maybe) but because it will save us from the reshuffeling of jobs, the replacement of somewhat experienced civil servants with ones that are new to the job.
Good point.

I'd like to see Domingo Brito make a solid run.