let the riots begin.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It seems tomorrow will be a general strike day in DR (at least in santiago area). I would advice all locals to stay home and watch CNN or your favorite soap opera because I have a feeling it will get ugly tomorrow. People are fed up with the constant price hikes on everything and there seem to be no light at the end of the tunnel. I was just out of my office and the talk to the town is "huelga".
I am going to stay home and stack up on some of my favorite movies to watch, plus all the food to eat for the next 2 days.

Note: if you folks are coming to all-inclusive resorts, you have nothing to worry about as you will never come close to the real dominican lifestyle. The riots will take place very far away from the resort areas and you people will never know what is happening in the country. So don't cancel your trip, come and enjoy the sunshine.
have a nice day.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
The strike will be called off. People are not really in the mood for strikes, this ain't Venezuela (not yet).

Forget about that sancocho and buying those Presidentes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Among the small sampling of people I have talked with today, there doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for a strike in Sosua. People say there will be a strike, but in Santo Domingo, not here.
Vamos a ver. If I were a Dominican, I think I would be out on the road burning tires. There is a lot to protest.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago has had some stuff hapening down town where no one lives...Some "leader" was taken into custody. Plenty of troops and cops onthe street. I don't think this will fly...Not like before, when they bought 100s of pounds of those"U" shaped brads for stringing barbed wire and then spent a week twisting them so that no matter how they fell they would get your tires...Naw, these guys haven't touched the mass ofpeople, YET>>>>>>

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Off to Puerto Plata airport tomorrow (Tuesday) to collect some friends coming in. I will report back as to level of discontent on the streets tomorrow night!! If it happens, I'll be on their side - I totally agree to showing 'El Presidente de camposinos' what we think of his POLICIES????? - Grahame.

Amber

Jan 24, 2003
The report here in Nagua is lots of bombs going off as well as gunshots. The businesses are supporting the strike as well as most of the town, which is a lot to say since this has always been a town considered to be in agreement with anything the govt does. I, for one, am closing all my businesses and catching up on some movies. But I do agree that if history were to repeat itself, we have at least four more years before the "people" hit the streets if anyone recalls the riots in 1984, which I thankfully missed by still being in the states. As a Dominican/American I can only say we will never reach the guerrilla point, but unless the economy is managed a bit moe intelligently, we are in for some heavy duty smoking tires.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I'm sopposed to head to the campo tomorrow with a banned DR1'er. Do youy think it will be safe to travel? We are heading to the Bani area. Also another DR1'er is waiting for news if he shopuld come tomorrow on his flight. I have to send him a message and let him know in the morn so you have to let me know whats going on,

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
It's 7 am in Cabarete,

and I just returned from my morning exercise and can report that Cabarete and Sosua are nice and quiet as usual, just b-r-r-r-r cold!!!!!!
P.S. Fantastic sunrise today!!

Dec 9, 2002
Kiteman -

How can it possibly be b-r-r-r-r cold in Sosua, even if it is 7am!! It was certainly b-r-r-r-r cold in England at 7am this morning (around 4 hours ago) - it took me 15 minutes to clear the car windscreen before I could drive to work.

Kiteman

Aug 25, 2002
Well, Dominican Babe,

it is certainly not as cold as England, but relative to here....very chilly! As a matter of fact, I am wearing a jacket and cap now while I'm nursing a cup of hot coffee (and warming my hands) in the office! BTW, some of my employees from Puerto Plata are dragging in now ( all with heavy jackets, I might add) and report that all is quiet there also. Radio says that protesters will "meet" in the Central Park in Puerto Plata tonight, for whatever that's worth......

stan chapman

Nov 28, 2002
Cold??

You woosies don't know what cold is. We were camping last week, -30C. 3 weeks 6 days & counting. Stan

CMS

Jan 28, 2003
Some streets are closed in Santo Domingo as police are trying to keep traffic away from the crowds. (Tiradentes near Kennedy)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Stan,
Some of us DO know what cold is ............. that's why we live here & then our blood gets thinned. I hate the idea of returning to cold old England in Mid-May!!!

"She that must be Obeyed" has just returned from shopping in town (Puerto Plata) - All quiet with no problems driving on the streets, so it seems to be 'Business as usual' - Grahame.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If this is a "STRIKE" I want one everyday!!!!!!!

No "traffic" this morning on the way to work! Nothing on Channel "27",(It's Like "Dominican CNN"!) Watch IT! My wife said that the "Strikers" don't get up early,to watch for more "activity" in the "PM"! CRIS

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There was no visible action is santiago yesterday. In fact, I totally forgot about the strike and went about my business as usual. I drove all over santiago in search for a good deal on new apartments. I encountered no traffic, even on major intersections. I was amazed at my finding until someone reminded me of the possible strike. That's when all became clear to me. In short: no action anywhere in decent neighborhoods.
It was a bit disappointing as I was hoping to see some action, tire burning and gunshots. No big deal, I guess dominicans are used to abuse. Now I understand why Missing_dr prefers dominian women over mexican. Hehehehehe