Let's get Controversial..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mountainannie said:
Having acquired lots of warning points in only a few visits, I obviously would like to broaden the topics under discussion here. I would like to start talking about things like "attitude colonialista" - Puerto Rico, Haiti, Cuba, Costa Rico -- lots of things that are deemed out of bounds on this board. Don't see how we can have intelligent conversations when we are limited into thinking that this is some sort of desert island.

The board is for discussion of all things Dominican. Not all things everywhere ;) This is good policy and also good marketing. One does have to focus your offering, not so? Otherwise believe you me, we will drown in discussions of US politics... and who wants to discuss that all the time.

So, the challenge is to find other discussion forums for all the other topics that you want to talk about. They are out there...

Edited 'cause I forgot to say -- a topic such as "attitude colonialista" could do very well in the debate forum if we keep it DR related. Perhaps start that one and keep it on track. I for one could see myself participate. And a final comment, thanks for the introduction and the information about yourself. Its nice to know a little about people who post here.. a little context goes a long way.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
jrzyguy said:
but that would never work

btw...is there any gay activity up in sosua? i am having difficulty finding a travel buddy this year to B.C. and if i am going to travel solo...i might consider sosua...just to see something different.

Not my cup of tea, but I think a gay area could work. But, then, to be fair, I demand a hetero-sexual area as well
;)

More seriously, this is a suggestion that the powers that be could consider.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
joel pacheco said:
Keith R, I meant first AND last names...

Joel, why is it that you want to see full names? How do you think the board will benefit? This is not my experience generally of the internet and stuff that happens on the net. Visit a few technical forums and you'll see the strangest 'handles' that you can ever imagine.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Open Discussion

Well - then perhaps we could start a Chat Room that was for DR1 members only and just not publish it to the general public?

I applaud young Sr. Joel for wanting everyone's full name..... and credentials. I like to know with whom I am speaking.

Elizabeth Roebling

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some answers...

Chris said:
OK, at the risk of giving Robert heart failure.... these thoughts come from a sense that I have that the boards are just a smidgen less 'lively'. And it is moving on to a new year and I find myself in a 'pensive' mood...

1. We have a lot of 'tools' to use, ignore lists, buddy lists etc, etc. I have not once needed to use one of these tools - are they necessary? and do others find them valuable? Together with the warnings system, they leave me with a feeling of 'punitive' action if I would dare say anything wrong :nervous:

Some people use them, some people couldn't care less. I find them valuable.

99.9% of posters will NEVER get a warning point. It's a VERY valuable tool for admins and moderators and has helped us make a point on a few occasions and I'm happy to say "got the job done".

The warning system will be upgraded in the next few days, so that only the individual user can see if any warning points that have been applied. As I said, you should forget the warning points as they do not exist for 99.9% of posters on this board.

Chris said:
2. I get the sense that most of the 'controversial' happenings now happen before the posters are even aware of it. Kinda like 'hands-off' management. And believe me, I have an inkling that I've personally benefitted from this before, without even being aware. However, I think this may detract from the sense of 'liveliness' that the boards have. There is a sense of less participation (possibly not in the numbers, but in the feeling of the boards). I'm wondering if we do not need another forum, something like "the fighting cock pit" where the moderators could send those threads that really turn south in terms of the charter of their specific forum, but still have some merit - whether it is only amusement value. I know this may be more work for the moderators.

A 'fighting' forum like this will perhaps not detract from the overall quality of the boards as everyone will know that those are the treads that are destined to perish in shame... But, if the thread starter or a participant can rescue the thread, or the 'sinner' could perhaps even restate their points in a more acceptable manner, the moderator may be asked to 'repatriate' this thread? What do you think... Almost like a time-out to make sure good content remains on the boards and it would not be necessary to delete frequently... (Were any of you 'sent to the corner' as a child in order to take a little time-out?)

Sorry, I know the small majority would love this type of forum, but it will never happen in the current format. Car wrecks are needed to spice the forums a little, but multi-car pile ups we try and avoid. Plus it's a pain to moderate and takes lots of time.

The only time we would ever implement something like a "fighting forum" is if it was subscription based. If your willing to pay, we are willing to set it up. Anyone???

Chris said:
3. I would really like to see more threads like the one about Patwa or Creole. I found this fascinating and informative and gained a new respect for the knowledge base on these boards. This thread is a good example of what I'm trying to say in number 2... The thread went south and content needed to be deleted. And this was good content, although in a fighting mood! A little while in the 'fighting cock pit' and the thread could have all its content still intact - controversial or not.

This happens. This is why we have moderators. People also need to moderate themselves, it's a two way street.

Chris said:
4. Be a little kinder to Newby's ---- There are still newby's that find the boards overwhelming and do not want to post. Something that I hope for, is that the regular posters could refrain a little from the sarcasm about, say, a newby calling the DR the Dominican, and similar things. By all means, correct this, but perhaps we could lose the 'paternalistic' and sometimes downright sarcastic attitude. (Geez, I know it's hard!)

Yep, this can sometimes be an issue. It's not an easy one to tackle, but one we are VERY aware of and working to fix. We have started to tackle this by implementing some messages when people login. This doesn't happen overnight, it takes months to change these types of issues. It's basically a long process of small changes, with measurable results so we have some idea if what we are doing is effective. The trick is knowing what to change and how to measure that change.

Chris said:
5. The mods (and I do appreciate every one of you!) could perhaps be a little less punitive and a little more participative. OK, now, get into the Xmas spirit and don't flood my inbox with hate mail.... It is just a little feedback --- feedback is good?

Anyway, to conclude, even if all of these things stay the same, I still think DR1 is one of the best boards around.

The mods do a wonderful job!

Keep the posts coming. If you have other questions or comments regarding other aspects or sections of the site, not just the message board, feel free to post them.

Toronto2inDR

Jun 10, 2004
www.legendhomesnorthcoast.com
Curbs and sidewalks?that encourages people to walk around with out fear of falling or tripping with every step never mind getting all dirty with all the mud and dust. This would also help in cleaning up the streets because that mud wouldn?t then flow onto the road and then be carried all over the city depositing a layer of dust on everything.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Toronto2inDR said:
Curbs and sidewalks?that encourages people to walk around with out fear of falling or tripping with every step never mind getting all dirty with all the mud and dust. This would also help in cleaning up the streets because that mud wouldn?t then flow onto the road and then be carried all over the city depositing a layer of dust on everything.

FYI: This thread is about DR1, not the Dominican Republic.

if you could, what would you change about DR1?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
FIRST & FORMOST,I would hope that DR1 will follow the lead of the Dominican Gov.,

And give all the Moderators a 30% increase in "Celery",and "Benefits" in 2005!
As to "Name,Rank,and Serial Number" of each poster,"No Way"! Pay your "Dues"! You want to know if the poster is male or female,read their posts,it will soon become evident,age?,same thing! Send them an E-mail or a "PM"!Get to "Know" them before you "Catagorize" them.Those who want "personal details",are searching for "PEN PALS",and "Internet Buddies",not answers to questions about the DR! Who cares if the person who posts today's Exchange Rate is male or female,young or old,and lets not leave out "Black or White" while we are at it!
The "Mars/Penis" Forum, (Ops,I mean "Mars/"VENUS" Forum!!) Is open to,"Gays/Bis/Transgenders/Transvestites/hermaphrodites/Straights/and "AZB"!!,so no "special "Gay" site is needed!

Dr1 has evolved from a "Dodge City" atmosphere to something more regulated,and "civilized"! What was once tolerated,today is not!So be it!
Those "so called" "Fight Clubs",will all soon deteriorate in to profain name calling,and nothing more.Just go check out Yahoo's message boards!

The General Forum is more "tolerant" of personal criticisms than the other forums.In fact,when I see such on forums,it seems out of place!
Easy rule of thumb for posting "HERE"!
1,Dominican Related(Except for Formula I)
2,Leave your entire "Deck" of "Race Cards" at home.
3,This is NOT an International Political sight,"LEFT,or Right"! 4,Please wait for some responses before you make several posts in a row! We do "Hear" you!
5,Tell your friends about this "Cool" site.

and last but not least,(an un-solicited recommendation!)for those of you who love to cook,and or eat, real authentic Dominican Food,visit (aunt.clara@dominicancooking.com) Chrismas Food now being "Cooked"!:glasses:

Sep 20, 2003
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

I never said I wanted to see everyone's first and last name! I was simply making an observation.

Chill. :)

I don't really care to know everyone's name at all. Someone mentioned people's age and location being shown, I just noticed that Anna and I were the only ones to post under our real names. That's it.

For the record, I'm 35.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
mountainannie said:
Well - then perhaps we could start a Chat Room that was for DR1 members only and just not publish it to the general public?

IElizabeth Roebling

We have a chat room for members.

tomgallo

*** Sin Bin ***
Mar 25, 2004
joel pacheco said:
Anna, I guess we are the only ones to use our real names on the forum.

That is if Anna is your real name...

Nope!!! I also use my real name!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
welcome, newby

I've been signed up here for over a year - asked my first question on the board a year ago. Within the first month of posting after I got here, I was sent only "WARNING" messages from this board........ Makes a person feel all warm and fuzzy and welcomed. Of course, I didn't realize that it was a "marketing" forum. What are you selling? The Dominican Republic?

As what, exactly?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hey CC, although I was a lurker at the time, I remember how you 'kicked and screamed' when the style of the forums changed. And then I remember some time went by and you started talking about a "kinder and gentler CC" ;) So, stop defending the status quo and give this thing some running room so that we can get some hopefully new ideas from the posters. There may just be some good ideas that come up and change is a way of life. And do remember I said at the outset that DR1 is one of the best around -- maybe some fresh ideas could make it even better. And about Mars/Venus - it is so typically 'straight' that I don't know if gays would feel welcome there... Can we have some gay input on this? (I certainly would not even venture to guess)

OK, so Robert has put down a challenge for everyone that likes to 'fight' on the board with no holds barred. How much are you willing to pay to fight about DR issues? One dollar a month? Two? for a special 'fights only' forum?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
mountainannie said:
I've been signed up here for over a year - asked my first question on the board a year ago. Within the first month of posting after I got here, I was sent only "WARNING" messages from this board........ Makes a person feel all warm and fuzzy and welcomed. Of course, I didn't realize that it was a "marketing" forum. What are you selling? The Dominican Republic?

As what, exactly?

Geez, mountainannie, now don't start making things difficult here. I notice you are still around and taking part. I cannot tell you how many of my postings were 'disappeared' in my early days of posting on this forum - especially the political ones. The word marketing is my own and not by any stretch of the imagination from the DR1 management. I was trying to explain something to you.... but you missed it. This is not a 'marketing' forum, but it needs to market itself. Simple business economics, no?.

And Joel, my board name is a nickname of my real name.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chris said:
And about Mars/Venus - it is so typically 'straight' that I don't know if gays would feel welcome there... Can we have some gay input on this? (I certainly would not even venture to guess)

We have very few questions from gays. Mostly where to find gay bars ect. I try very hard to keep any and all bashing of gays out of there. If I miss any bashing just let me know. Me fix.

Annie, the warning system has been in affect for only the last couple of months. I've checked all your posts since you joined in 12/11/03 and it seems most people were helpful with your question about moving to the DR.
Would you like to see the whole link?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Chris said:
OK, so Robert has put down a challenge for everyone that likes to 'fight' on the board with no holds barred. How much are you willing to pay to fight about DR issues? One dollar a month? Two? for a special 'fights only' forum?

US$1 a month sounds fine to me. Open to all and billed annually (US$12).

Maybe posters with 1000 posts or more should get in free?
We have close to 40 posters with 1000+ posts.
I think if you last that long and contribute that much around here, you deserve a free pass. Providing the moderator let's allows you :)

Yes, I will still moderated as a death match board would die real quick.
Plus DR1 would still get the last word if things get too nasty or out of hand.

I'll even let you moderate the board Chris :)

Name for the forum? BBQ Pit, Supporters Forum?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Robert said:
Name for the forum? BBQ Pit, Supporters Forum?

Supporters Forum sounds too nice. BBQ Pit sounds more like it.

Yes let Christa moderate that one ;) Does it still have to be DR related?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mountainannie said:

As what, exactly?

You posted off topic comments after being warned and having others deleted. You continued to post more, so you got issued a few points.
You had been a board member for almost a year with many posts.
You cannot plead ignorance, you knew exactly what would happen.

2 points - On 11-22-2004
2 points - On 11-22-2004

These will be removed on 22-12-2004 (They last a month)

End of story, case closed!

Moving on....

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Supporters Forum sounds too nice. BBQ Pit sounds more like it.

Yes let Christa moderate that one ;) Does it still have to be DR related?

Supporters forum and you can talk about whatever you want :)

Those that have paid their dues (1000+ posts, also moderators) get in for free, others will have to pay.

Is it a deal?