Libraries

cork

Aug 23, 2003
someone's home

Although a good idea, I would hesitate using anyone's house since we are talking letting transients and school child in.

Possible ideal location would be on the highway at the car wash same side as supermercado Sosua. There is a german meat market there and a bar with patio seating. There are at least 3 vacant units there, one says closed for vacation (dated 2001)

cork

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Theft Concern...

There are people here in this country who if given the opportunity will take anything they think they might be able to sell for a few pesos. I have seen used books sold on streets of Santo Domingo. Just something to take into consideration. You have to watch people very close here.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As promised...

Santo Domingo
Helen Kellogg Library
opening times

(Monday closed)
Tuesday 2:30 - 5:00
Wednesday 9:00 - 11:30; 3:00 - 5:00
Thursday 9:00 - 11:30
Friday 9:00 - 11:30
Saturday 9:00 - 11:30
Sunday 10:00 - 11:30

Address: Ave. Independencia 253, between Osvaldo Baez and Danae. Behind the Anglican Church.

Used books sold on the first Saturday of each month.

sami

Aug 7, 2003
there are two small book facilities in Cabarete......Dolphin Dive Shop....English and French. Bill's Books ...opposite the Windsurf Resort. Good selection in several languages. Enjoy

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Gregg said:
are there any libraries in the PoP or Sosua area?

we will be moving to Sosua soon (!!!!) and we would like to know what our options are for accessing good ol' printed reading material called BOOKS.

looking for public, private or academic libraries that we can access.
books in Spanish or English. general fiction and non-fiction, not periodicals.

if NO, NO and No... then would anyone be interested in starting a private library just like in the old days with Benjamin Franklin?

thanx
I have plenty and bring down suitcases of books all the time. So do a lot of others like Marys. I just wish she would check with me before bringing the dupes:)

We share btw:)

Scott

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Perhaps A Book Exchange Would Be Better....

A website is created...members sign up....they can then input titles of books they have. A member can go to the site, sign in, click on a title, send an email to the owner. On a certain day of the week...say Thursday at 7pm...all exchanges would take place at a specific location (same location all the time) for example a pub/restaurant in say Sosua...since most of you seem to be from Sosua. So, it would be a get together and an exchange of books. That minimizes the management of the project. It provides a social affair.

It would be on the honor system...that you would return the book...within a reasonable time. There could be a membership fee collected...say per year. Failure to return a book could result in termination of membership.

So you have one guy setting up the website....could be an extension of DR1...or not. But a link on DR1 to it. This guy takes the membership fees and manages the project. Fees can be paid in person at the exchange meeting place. It may be best if this person were someone known within DR1 for sometime or known by the owner of DR1.

Hope this helps.

Gregg

Apr 26, 2004
book exchange idea good

Snuffy said:
A website is created...members sign up....they can then input titles of books they have. A member can go to the site, sign in, click on a title, send an email to the owner. On a certain day of the week...say Thursday at 7pm...all exchanges would take place at a specific location (same location all the time) for example a pub/restaurant in say Sosua...since most of you seem to be from Sosua. So, it would be a get together and an exchange of books. That minimizes the management of the project. It provides a social affair.

It would be on the honor system...that you would return the book...within a reasonable time. There could be a membership fee collected...say per year. Failure to return a book could result in termination of membership.

So you have one guy setting up the website....could be an extension of DR1...or not. But a link on DR1 to it. This guy takes the membership fees and manages the project. Fees can be paid in person at the exchange meeting place. It may be best if this person were someone known within DR1 for sometime or known by the owner of DR1.

Hope this helps.

thanks Snuffy. good idea. pretty close to a private library but no need to house the books...

please keep the ideas coming.

i will commit to working on this project when i arrive in Sosua.
looking for spring timeframe to get it going.

sure we can do something workable that would expand the selection for many others. the more the merrier they say!