License Plate Renewals

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just thought I'd check this morning. Marbetes have indeed arrived in Puerto Plata but are not being issued for reasons posted above. A&P had no idea when they would be able to issue because of course it isn't their call. Keep checking the newspapers for info re Congressional decision on this.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Narizes Largos Protest

...Looks like President has given in to pressure of transportistas....
.... or to the grumbling of luxury car owners who were supposed to pay up to 96,000 RD$ in car tax annually.

Janin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just to update - I got my new marbete in Puerto Plata this morning. There were 9 in front of me and I had marbete after half an hour, so on average it is taking 3 mins per applicant, much quicker than Rentas Internas which used to average 6 mins per person. The young lady in charge at A&P is very bright - if you have a non-standard case i.e. your cedula number isn't on matricula, then as long as you can provide cedula number of owner named on matricula you'll get your marbete. None of the bureaucratic shenanigans Rentas Internas used to produce when confronted with a non-standard case.
The issue window is in the parking lot (i.e don't go inside A&P) & the young lady will talk to you via headset microphone she wears so don't be put off if voice seems to come out of nowhere.

The half hour wait passed very quickly for me because there was 'entertainment' - one rabid PRD supporter addressing the queue followed by an equally rabid PLD supporter plus audience participation including from me. :) The rabid supporters were members of the line but they stepped out to 'perform' and field hecklers - all done loudly, emphatically and with much arm waving. Then they stepped back into line and became obedient supplicants at the glass window.............you gotta love this country. :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Not in cases when placas & thus new matricula was last issued they failed to transfer over cedula number of previous owner.......................;)

Check your manual of DR bureaucratic screw ups. It is number 546..........:)

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Misunderstanding?

....they failed to transfer over cedula number of previous owner.....

I don't understand.
Whenever I had a 'traspaso' done the previous owner's name and cedula number would not appear on my new 'matricula' but my name and cedula number only.

Janin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't understand.
Whenever I had a 'traspaso' done the previous owner's name and cedula number would not appear on my new 'matricula' but my name and cedula number only. Janin

Indeed, but I never bothered with the traspaso. My legal ownership is proved through the sale contract. The original owner's name appears on previous matricula. Since when jeep has had 2 further owners before me (it's an old jeep!) and they never bothered with the traspaso either. As one of those had left the country the traspaso would have taxed the cerebral cortex of the issuing authorities so...............I went the easy route. Entiende?

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Not Recommended

....I went the easy route. Entiende?

Yes, I do.
But you went the illegal way, too and evaded tax.
Law requires you to do the transfer and pay the appropriate tax (this is why many don't do the traspaso).
And according to the 'matricula' you are using somebody else's vehicle.

janin

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Traspaso

....It would have to be the person who's name is on the matricula doing the traspaso to your name.

The seller only signs at the back of the document.
Then it's the buyer's obligation to have the matricula put in his/her name and pay the fees that come with it.

Janin

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Whooowhee, you're a flirtin' for a hurtin'!

It's a long time coming then, I've had the vehicle 9 years. I did go through the whole process with a previous vehicle just so that I would know how it was done and in those days it took 18 months...............I'll never be selling this vehicle (19 years old), the intention is to run it into the ground so I decided I had better things to do with my time.

Sorry you had a nasty story with yours. I've known for years what the risks were so it was a decision made eyes wide open. And of course I've never needed to use vehicle as collateral so...........you get my drift I'm sure. ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Law requires you to do the transfer and pay the appropriate tax (this is why many don't do the traspaso).
And according to the 'matricula' you are using somebody else's vehicle.

janin

Sorry, missed this earlier. Yes the law requires but the administrative proceedures of DGII don't allow. The local DGII knows all about this but both they and I have come to conclusion that it isn't possible. Person named on matricula (dealer) retired & then died, his heirs live in US. Thus 2 previous owners weren't able to do traspaso either (well, maybe the first one could have done, but didn't; second one couldn't have done & has now left DR). Fortunately with DGII approval I am able to renew marbete, even accept new matricula when placas last issued, insure car etc etc. All I can't do is resurrect a dead man to sign back of form; the signature of previous owner is there but he wasn't on matricula. So...........impasse. If we wasted energy trying to track down family of dead dealer either the jeep or I would be in our graves before it got resolved. As DGII said to me 'thank goodness you have the cedula number'. Now the law says dead men don't have cedulas but local DGII thinks differently................:)

And interestingly when I originally tried to get it sorted they wouldn't even take a regalo for a quick fix. Probably because they knew it was unfixable. So we live with it and I don't bother worrying about it particularly since the 'owner' on matricula is unlikely to have further use for his jeep. ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Since posting yesterday about getting my marbete in Puerto Plata I have had a number of PMs on this subject mainly asking where and checking out false info they had read in Sosua 'News'. I am having some difficulty seeing why such questions would warrant a 'private' status :confused: so I will respond here since I also only need to do so once. Just remember please when you are PMing that if the responses are likely to help others and not just you, then let's have a bit of altruism.

First question: no you do NOT go to Banreservas for the marbete despite what it says here
Sos?a-News
I didn't believe people were being told this so I went to check for myself.

Second question:The DGII website has a complete list of the places you can go to
DGII - Direcci?n General de Impuestos Internos
Click where it says Click aqui para renovar, then click on help button - where the question mark is. Up comes a list of all the offices of Asociaci?n de Ahorros y Pr?stamos where you can go plus the 2 banking outlets. I believe there may be additional locations in SD.

Third question: why didn't I go to DGII offices in Puerto Plata? Answer: no I'm not trying to avoid them, traspaso or no traspaso ;). I call in regularly to see a friend who works there. But even she could not sell me a marbete because I only have one vehicle. DGII are still doing marbetes but only for companies with fleets of vehicles - I think 10 vehicles upwards but you'll have to check that one for yourselves.

Fourth question: where is A&P in Puerto Plata? Answer on Beller, the one way street going out of town which is parallel with 12 de julio (the one way street going into town). A&P is situated opposite the building which houses the British Hon Consul's office and opposite the Juvenile Tribunal and is not far from Roma II.

Finally, please try not to worry. This is not an intrepid adventure into the Amazon to discover a little known tribe of cannibals. :) It is a simple straightforward proceedure carried out quickly and efficiently and is nothing to get all wound up about............really. If you're really stuck I did ascertain that the delightful young lady at PP's A&P speaks English so no, you don't need anyone to go with you.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
No tengo cedula

I was trying to renew my marbete and went to the website. the first question of course is for a cedula number. I have applied and been approved for residency but I technically don't have the card yet. Is it possible to complete the process using only my US passport (which is all I had when buying the car and getting it in my name to start with) or do I need to get my butt into SD and get the cedula issued before I can proceed?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Whose cedula number is on the matricula? Or maybe I should start with: is there a cedula number on the matricula? You could always try taking a photocopy of front page of your passport, plus the original passport along to A&P together with matricula & copy & seeing if they accept it. Try typing in to box on website the cedula number which shows on your matricula & see if your vehicle comes up.

Technically the last date for getting marbetes is Oct 31st. - I don't know where you are in the system or whether you'll have your cedula by then? Try the suggestion above re copies of passport etc & if that doesn't work then try and get your cedula. You will be able to get marbetes after end October but there will be a late fee and you're more likely to get a 'friendly' AMET stop if you're not displaying a current marbete after that date.

jimhe

Mar 26, 2006
Simple but brilliant

I did not even notice that a Cedula number was listed on the document until you mentioned that. I entered and it brought up my car as being owned by me. I don't know what number that really is but it is certainly not my cedula number. I won't ask. I will just finish up the process.

thanks

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I did not even notice that a Cedula number was listed on the document until you mentioned that. I entered and it brought up my car as being owned by me. I don't know what number that really is but it is certainly not my cedula number. I won't ask. I will just finish up the process.

thanks

I knew that a cedula number was listed on my car matricula. I don't have a cedula though. I just taught it was a mistake from the DGII. Well, I went to their site entered the cedula number and the placa number and my name appears as the owner of the car(CRV) and the owner of the car I had before (Toyota). It seems the new owner of the Toyota did not put the matricula under her name but I recall having signed a sale contract and the back of the matricula too (traspaso).

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I did not even notice that a Cedula number was listed on the document until you mentioned that. I entered and it brought up my car as being owned by me. I don't know what number that really is but it is certainly not my cedula number. I won't ask. I will just finish up the process. thanks

I love a quick learner. :) Just go along with copies of front page of your passport & matricula & have original of passport with you. You should be just fine. All the A&P people will do is check that your matricula is in database in the way you just did. And it's there, so no problem.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
This is the first time.........

.........we have renewed via the internet...........We have 3 vehicles in personal names and one in a company name........

It was very easy to pay online and it says that they will "deliver" them directly to our house...........WE'LL see.............

We made 4 copies of the internet "order" with the approval number which shows the name, vehicle ID# and the amount paid and says "2007 marbete"....

We'll keep a copy in each car until we get them..............

Was very easy though.........

Heythere

Feb 24, 2005
I got my new 2007 marbete - placa sticker yesterday at Banco BDI in Multicentro on Churchill. You need a photocopy of your Matricula (ownership). I also handed in a copy of my insurance but I'm not sure if it was required.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
They are in over at Sosua as well now opposite the police station. Copy of cedula and matricula was all that was required.