Life in the Tropics

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Ok, I see what you mean now ... you are not running ALL the water from the Cistern THROUGH it ... but Filtering the water, and putting it BACK into The Cistern ?.. sort of like a Continuous Filter ?
2 weeks sound a lot more real... yeagh, i dont think i can change filters every 2 weeks with a whole house unit ..
As they are in Cannisters and require shutting down the whole House .

I have a feeling the Chlorine Floaters may also be dropping the PARTICULATE to the Bottom.. Sort of like when you SHOCK a Pool , and then Vacuum it ?? So those Particles never actually get put through this Filter ...
But that makes sense now .. the Cistern water being Cleared up by being Constantly Re Circulated through a 1 micron ..

How far OFF the bottom are you sucking the water from ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Ok, I see what you mean now ... you are not running ALL the water from the Cistern THROUGH it ... but Filtering the water, and putting it BACK into The Cistern ?.. sort of like a Continuous Filter ?
2 weeks sound a lot more real... yeagh, i dont think i can change filters every 2 weeks with a whole house unit ..
As they are in Cannisters and require shutting down the whole House .

I have a feeling the Chlorine Floaters may also be dropping the PARTICULATE to the Bottom.. Sort of like when you SHOCK a Pool , and then Vacuum it ?? So those Particles never actually get put through this Filter ...
But that makes sense now .. the Cistern water being Cleared up by being Constantly Re Circulated through a 1 micron ..

How far OFF the bottom are you sucking the water from ?
The filter only captures the incoming water from the street, not recirculating the water in the cistern.

But over time the old, dirty water in cistern is pumped to the house, replaced with the incoming filtered water.

It's not a direct whole-house filter, but the water going to the house is filtered first.

The cistern outlet is 9" off the bottom of the cistern.

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I really like it here.  I don't want to grow old in the US, that's for sure.  If you end up in the hospital they will stick a tube up your behind to keep you alive as long as possible to rack up a big bill.  Living here could be considered "roughing it" for some, I guess.  It's not for wimps and whiners.  I've since learned to stop my mind from asking those questions that used to keep me up at night, like why the plumber asked the maid for a knife instead of a screwdriver as he used it on a screw and broke the tip off.  And why someone made a ring on the nice wooden coffee table with a wet glass and then tried to scrape it off.

One thing I'm very happy to see go from my old life is my mailbox.

We should do a whole thread about mailboxes. When ever I get back to Tennessee whether it has been 90 days or 4 years there is a stack of mail hat has been coming into my mother's house constantly. They (my mother two brothers, a sister and a sister in law cannot understand that I am not dedicated to that stack of mail from insurance companies and Alarm Companies and all the rest. Oh yes the good old mailbox!
Der Fish