Life is Good

CristoRey

#TheGoodLife
Apr 1, 2014
Cheaper than Thailand ? Not if you using Santo Domingo in the equation
Local Purchasing Power in Santo Domingo is 33.82% lower than in Bangkok
Cheaper than Thailand?
Not sure about that.
I know it's a heck of a lot cheaper than Amsterdam was back in 2006.
Certainly closer to home (Florida) than Thailand.
The hospitality is a big one reason too.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I love how they repair things that are broken in DR. In developed countries you cannot get a stove or a fridge or a microwave repaired, but in DR everything is recycled and lives on and on. And I love how you can find craftsmen and women in places like Villa Consuelo who will make you furniture, curtains, anything and everything Skills like cabinetmaking that we have almost lost and you can find some amazing workmanship. And I love how you find a guy who will alter your clothes for a few pesos on every street corner, always within a few hours.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
A couple people have hit on something good with the freedom. I was surprised to hear a younger Dominicano once tell me there was more freedom here than in the USA. At first I didn't believe him but as I have spent more time here I now see his point. The USA has more rule and regulations than we could use in 3 lifetimes. They have them here too, but many are ignored by most people. It seems that here in the DR most people, gringos and natives live by the rule "don't hurt anyone." Exception? Of course but they are an overwhelming minority.

CristoRey

#TheGoodLife
Apr 1, 2014
I love how they repair things that are broken in DR. In developed countries you cannot get a stove or a fridge or a microwave repaired, but in DR everything is recycled and lives on and on. And I love how you can find craftsmen and women in places like Villa Consuelo who will make you furniture, curtains, anything and everything Skills like cabinetmaking that we have almost lost and you can find some amazing workmanship. And I love how you find a guy who will alter your clothes for a few pesos on every street corner, always within a few hours.
Here in Santiago you will find craftsman offering the same types of products and services in La Joya.

NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Very good point. Interesting thread on Dominican ingenuity here...https://dr1.com/forums/threads/dominican-ingenuity.127355/

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Trip to Thailand from POP several years ago to attend wedding. POP to Mia then Newark. 7 hours. Newark to Japan. 18 hours. 4 hour layover. 12 hours to Bangkok with layover and 2.5 hour flight to north area. Over $17K plus expenses and a lot of air time. Brother in law still in Thailand, cost of living very similar to the D.R. travel is a no go for them.

Wife and I sometimes talk about leaving the D.R. and we can go just about anywhere. But it always comes down to; where?
Despite some frustrations here, we always manage to get things done. We would most likely have those same frustrations anywhere else.
Washing machine broke yesterday. New guy in town picked it up today to repair.
Progress.

Reactions: Auryn

CristoRey

#TheGoodLife
Apr 1, 2014
Trip to Thailand from POP several years ago to attend wedding. POP to Mia then Newark. 7 hours. Newark to Japan. 18 hours. 4 hour layover. 12 hours to Bangkok with layover and 2.5 hour flight to north area. Over $17K plus expenses and a lot of air time. Brother in law still in Thailand, cost of living very similar to the D.R. travel is a no go for them.

Wife and I sometimes talk about leaving the D.R. and we can go just about anywhere. But it always comes down to; where?
Despite some frustrations here, we always manage to get things done. We would most likely have those same frustrations anywhere else.
Washing machine broke yesterday. New guy in town picked it up today to repair.
Progress.
The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I felt the same way back in 2016.
Decided to stay and I think it was
one of the best decisions I've ever
made although I must admit, it did
take a little moving around the country
before I found the balance I was looking for.
Good luck with ya repair.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
1. Cost of living but only for the part of housing. Most other things are more expensive. However, as the cost of housing is usually the biggest expense, that balances the total to become lower than it would be elsewhere.
2. Weather: I spent my childhood in a very cold climate, being sick every winter. I do not miss dark winters or snow...
3. Call me weird, but I do actually like almost any food items / meals available here
4. Rich nature.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
And I love how you can find craftsmen who will make you furniture, curtains, anything and everything Skills like cabinetmaking that we have almost lost and you can find some amazing workmanship. And I love how you find a guy who will alter your clothes for a few pesos on every street corner, always within a few hours.

Yes, fully agree! Our furniture was originally a set of pieces of c**p, similar you would get from IKEA, but they are not from Ikea. When they started to break down, my wife asked an old neighbor of ours to take them down to the bones, replace whatever structure was wrong and we gave them the new fabric to put on... Excellent results, we'll never sell those pieces of furniture... Everything my wife's sister has is custom made, they purchase nothing from stores (we don't either, anymore) but rather have everything made via people they know... My wife's sister also kindly sends all these contacts to my wife and then we can do the same... Nothing has been even remotely bad quality... Same with clothing, my wife knows this elderly lady who fixes or resizes anything you take to them... Has used them for years...

Buffness

“Empty vessels make the most sound”
Oct 9, 2014
.. listing why we like living here or what is good about the Dominican Republic.
Landing at PUJ at 6am ... from an overnight flight ....after a business trip....cool Dominican morning sunrise☀️....only a few people disembarking....quiet airport...no queues(yet)...no tourists (yet)....greeted with warm smiles and “ Welcome back home Don Buffness” by Passport Control and Aduana.😁...and making it back home in time for family breakfast with miesposa...and kids ...makes you feel blessed to call DR home !🇩🇴🇩🇴

Reactions: josh2203

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Thinking about this I come up with more.

Our car mechanic comes to our house when needed. If he can't fix at his shop, takes it to Santiago. Last time he had to take it to Santo Domingo. Provided us a loaner.

We don't have a bank account in the D.R. Our money guy gives us a good rate, takes our U.S. checks and delivers to our house.

A past employee that was with us for years and we supported his education. Has his own electrical, solar business. If I need him, here within 2 days. He is like a son and tells me that I taught him everything. I actually did knowing about this stuff. What was interesting.... he learned. He moved on. Almost. We still have learning problems that need to be solved.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A man walks into the dining room at the hotel. Gives a gentle nod to some of the close by tables and says “Saludos” to these strangers. Strange? Not in the DR. Got to love it.

Reactions: Lafcadio

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You walk into a Phamacy and say you need
An aspirin or two. Or some other generic pill. Not the six pack package of 100
Pills each bottle sold to
You at Walmart....just one or two of the pills I need now. They sell it to you without the BS. Done deal.

Reactions: bob saunders

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Same thing with spices. My GF needed a bit of some exotic spice. Got a 2 inch by 2 inch packet
for a few cents
Not $6.95 USD jar you won’t use again until
Next Christmas.