Lifestyle development in Cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The owner of the property is the Wynn Group from Toronto. The work was suspended on both sides of the road as of late yesterday. Word is the Ministry of Environment has some questions.

And how much will those questions cost? $$$$ ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A lot of the Seawinds Condos on the west side of Cabarete was built within the 60 meter setback not long ago. Of course, many wealthy Dominicans as well as big politicos own there - so no problem!!!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
... from what I see on the photos... mother nature.....will have the final say on the new lifestyles thingy........Doc......

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Lifestyles usually builds a retaining wall. The beach lounging area with chairs, umbrellas, palapas and beds is raised and to access the beach proper one needs to descent a set of stairs. This set up makes it easy to ensure that locals with right of access to the beach (be they vendors or others) do not have the opportunity to interact with the guests. I would expect a "border wall" is in the plans for this location.

A wall will mitigate somewhat the effects of the surf.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Lifestyles usually builds a retaining wall. The beach lounging area with chairs, umbrellas, palapas and beds is raised and to access the beach proper one needs to descent a set of stairs. This set up makes it easy to ensure that locals with right of access to the beach (be they vendors or others) do not have the opportunity to interact with the guests. I would expect a "border wall" is in the plans for this location.

...I think that wall will have to be Trump style.....

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We were corralled into listening to their spiel, not for us, but some people like them. Both our children belong to the Disney vacation club, and our son and his wife have used it to go to Punta Cana. They stayed at Ocean Blue for free, had to pay for food though.  

Where were you corralled into listening to their spiel? How aggressive were they?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i believe that AE was staying in lifestyle hotel with her hubby after they booked some special offer. a part of the offer was having to sit through the "presentation".

personally i believe that where a simple "no" does not suffice to get rid of a pushy timeshare seller a polite "go and f**k yourself" will do the trick. i could never understood why people are not more rude in such situations.

coming back to cabarete development... why build so close to the ocean? i get that some buildings that are practically on the waterline today are old and were constructed before beach corrosion got them. but some areas are reclaimed by nature at a fast pace. is the investment going to pay off before the water takes it?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Most of the buildings in the Cabarete project are across the ocean from the main highway and are located at the entrance to ProCab. The Ocean Club part is right on the beach along with all of the other bars and restaurants on Cabarete beach. All will suffer the effects of the salt air, but especially the Ocean Club. As far as climate change is concerned, only time will tell.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The owner of the property is the Wynn Group from Toronto. The work was suspended on both sides of the road as of late yesterday. Word is the Ministry of Environment has some questions.

The Wynn Group, owned by 3 brothers, inherited from their father, owns roughly 20 slum apartment buildings around the city. One of their buildings tops the list of worst in the city with almost 1,000 City code violations in 2016 so it doesn't surprise me that they would be involved in questionable building practices in RD.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Maybe, maybe not. It may simply remove the surf erosion effect from one area to another. Seen it happen many times. Shift the problem to your neighbour and turn a blind eye to the problem. Either way it ain't Marco's problem. Btw , Lifestyles is an offshore registered company( BVI I think). Forget about trying to get your membership back through the resale group. They are like the mafia. You never get out alive. Lifestyles won't take American Express because they won't get paid by AMEX if the client complains about bad services. There is something surreal travelling in a Lifestyles stretch limo and viewing the poverty from Cofresi to Puerto Plata airport. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Most of the buildings in the Cabarete project are across the ocean from the main highway and are located at the entrance to ProCab. The Ocean Club part is right on the beach along with all of the other bars and restaurants on Cabarete beach. All will suffer the effects of the salt air, but especially the Ocean Club. As far as climate change is concerned, only time will tell.

ok, thanks for the clarification. i could not figure that out. on the other hand there were mentions of the clients having to cross the main road and on the other hand the 60 meter rule. and then the videos and pics showed "terenos lifestyle" on the water edge but there was no construction on that part to be seen.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

From what I've seen of the construction site, that appears to be exactly what they are doing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
ok, thanks for the clarification. i could not figure that out. on the other hand there were mentions of the clients having to cross the main road and on the other hand the 60 meter rule. and then the videos and pics showed "terenos lifestyle" on the water edge but there was no construction on that part to be seen.

The Ocean Club side was in the process of being excavated last I saw.

Someone mentioned a work suspension. Are they back at work again?

dom

Jun 1, 2011
wasnt there a building at the EXACT location just a few months ago, it was the pequeno refugio and was also at the same distance from the water, same as cabarete palace, all the cabarete bars etc, whats the big deal now, they are just rebuilding where something had been build alredy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
wasnt there a building at the EXACT location just a few months ago, it was the pequeno refugio and was also at the same distance from the water, same as cabarete palace, all the cabarete bars etc, whats the big deal now, they are just rebuilding where something had been build alredy

I think it has to do with new work permits and the laws regarding new construction, but I could be wrong.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The Ocean Club side was in the process of being excavated last I saw.

Someone mentioned a work suspension. Are they back at work again?

Yesterday there appeared to be no work taking place on the beach side of the road and just a few workers at the monstrosity the other side of the road.