lifestyles cabarete= boom or bust?

D

drstock

Wow... Cabarete must be a horrible part of the North coast.
Why would Lifestyles invest in Cabarete?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Some people here are not describing the Cabarete where I enjoy living. Yes, a by-pass would be great, but the plan of a few years ago was scuppered by "environmentalists". Of course, the main street is in need of improvement (it was a part of that by-pass plan), but there are now several reasonably priced car parks along the main street and I have never spotted a dead animal! The wind on the beach is very rarely a problem - it's usually a pleasant break from the Dominican heat. And I see many families of all nationalities enjoying the beach.

Last edited:
C

Cdn_Gringo

I would rather stay at a super8 in yonkers

I'm not saying the LS Cabarete (or any other affiliated LS resort) is the greatest option for everyone. Membership in the LS program has its advantages as 90,000+ members have confirmed with their hard earned dollars. Those who are members know, those who aren't don't.

The rooms were constructed to dampen the sounds from outside. Glass, walls, doors. It's not completely sound proof, but certainly tolerable and the bedrooms are not located on the street facing side of the buildings. After you stay there for a couple of nights, maybe your Super8 comment can be seen as something other than sour grapes. Membership has it's privileges.

A

AlterEgo

I'm not saying the LS Cabarete (or any other affiliated LS resort) is the greatest option for everyone. Membership in the LS program has its advantages as 90,000+ members have confirmed with their hard earned dollars. Those who are members know, those who aren't don't.

The rooms were constructed to dampen the sounds from outside. Glass, walls, doors. It's not completely sound proof, but certainly tolerable and the bedrooms are not located on the street facing side of the buildings. After you stay there for a couple of nights, maybe your Super8 comment can be seen as something other than sour grapes. Membership has it's privileges.

I agree. We stayed at LS in POP one time, our only complaint was being team tagged by the guys selling memberships. We’d go back. As far as a Super 8, or Yonkers for that matter, never been to either.:laugh::laugh:

E

El Rey de Mangu

Oh, it definitely is a nice facility. It's an over-sized monstrosity, though for the dilapidated Cabarete, dope-smoking surfer crowd that frequent places like 3-Michelin-Star Kahuna Bar

C

Cdn_Gringo

Why would Lifestyles invest in Cabarete?

Lifestyles didn't really invest in Cabarete. They do not not own the resort, just manage it and fill it with their existing members. The buildings and amenities were constructed by the foreign owners to reflect the Lifestyle brand. Rooms not booked by members can be had from regular travel company sites at non-membership prices (often deeply discounted) and without the extra membership services.

Lifestyles brings to Cabarete a large existing pool of potential guests, the vast majority of whom are not there to partake of the local drinking/dining establishments. Sure, some will purchase a drink or two at a bar, very few will dine at a local restaurant, even fewer will buy anything at Janet's save a bag of chips or a chocolate bar. Lifestyles provides everything you need and most of what you could want without ever leaving the property - which as we have already determined is exactly what the vast majority of AI tourists to this country want.

W

windeguy

Some people here are not describing the Cabarete where I enjoy living. Yes, a by-pass would be great, but the plan of a few years ago was scuppered by "environmentalists". Of course, the main street is in need of improvement (it was a part of that by-pass plan), but there are now several reasonably priced car parks along the main street and I have never spotted a dead animal! The wind on the beach is very rarely a problem - it's usually a pleasant break from the Dominican heat. And I see many families of all nationalities enjoying the beach.

Fascinating the bypass road did not happen for environmental reasons, yet the illegal settlement of thousands of people in La Cienaga on public wet lands is allowed to remain. Oh well, they paid off the leadership of the town to get a paper saying they have the right to be there while that leadership fills in more wet lands and takes in more money for those "papers". A bit like the beach shack businesses in Sosua, but on a much larger scale is La Cienaga. Out of sight and out of mind.

If that one small part of Cabarete near Lifestyles bothers someone to walk through, why not stay in another part of Cabarete and walk to Dicks with your kids from the opposite direction? Problem solved.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Lifestyles didn't really invest in Cabarete. They do not not own the resort, just manage it and fill it with their existing members. The buildings and amenities were constructed by the foreign owners to reflect the Lifestyle brand. Rooms not booked by members can be had from regular travel company sites at non-membership prices (often deeply discounted) and without the extra membership services.

Lifestyles brings to Cabarete a large existing pool of potential guests, the vast majority of whom are not there to to partake of the local drinking/dining establishments. Sure, some will purchase a drink or two at a bar, very few will dine at a local restaurant, even fewer will buy anything at Janet's save a bag or chips or a chocolate bar. Lifestyles provides everything you need and most of what you could want without ever leaving the property - which as we have already determined is exactly what the vast majority of AI tourists to this country want.

Once again, superior insight. Lengthy, but great posts!

W

windeguy

Cdn_Gringo, I was not aware Lifestyles was only leasing the grounds in Cabarete. Who are they leasing from?

C

Cdn_Gringo

They are not leasing the property in Cabarete. Lifestyles has an administration agreement for the property. The exact details and scope of the agreement(s) are not in the public domain and as far as I know not detailed in the company documents that Shareholder members can request to examine.

Lifestyles owns nothing as a corporate entity. Everything is owned by private interests and administered by contract with Lifestyles.

Cabarete is privately owned by a consortium of foreign investors (maybe a previous thread about the construction of the buildings and the environment permit hurdles) mentioned who this group is. At Cofresi, The Tropical resort is owned by someone else, Cofresi Palms another entity, all the Presidential, Royal and Crown Suites as well as all the individual Villas are owned by private individuals or investor groups. These have all been contracted to be built and administered solely by Lifestyles directly for a period of at least 20 years from the date of completion.

The exact details of the various contracts differ. Private owners of these facilities may use their property for a period usually not exceeding six - eight weeks per year. The rest of the time, the properties are available for other members to use. Each year an owner receives a "dividend" payment from Lifestyles for the use of their property. Usually at the end of the initial administration contract (20 years) the owner has recouped all or most of their initial cash investment. As far as the DR is concerned each property or accommodation unit is owned by someone other than Lifestyles.

The current legal dispute surrounding the completed high-end Villas on the parcel of land know as Costa Esmeralda at the Cofresi location centres around who actually owns the land on which these villas were built. The villa investors were informed that they would hold the title for the land under their villa, but the Dominican group who originally entered into a contract with Lifestyles is disputing Lifestyle's claim that they sold the land and only leased the property to Lifestyles. So at the moment, The entire Costa Esmeralda site with those gorgeous villas sits empty and unused by anyone while the case works its way through the courts.

Last edited:
B

Big

post #10

C

Cdn_Gringo

Sr Big,

With the cost of Shareholder and Chairman's Circle memberships costing upwards of $100K USD your "low roller" and "muscle shirt" reference is just more smoke. We may see some Cheap Caribbean Travel clients staying at the resort dragging their knuckles on the ground as they move from place to place, but I assure you the vast majority of Lifestyle members do not fit into that characterization and the top tier members certainly do not although some probably do wear muscle shirts from time to time. I will admit I have stayed at Cabarete as a member once to see for myself the new digs. I am not in a rush to stay there again, but would without hesitation if I was bringing guests who wanted to experience something different from past visits.

Last edited:
B

beeza

Occasionally Groupon do an offer at Lifestyles in Cofresi for $100 per night for a couple, so I decided to try it out and take the Missus. We got the VIP wristband which entitled us to the top tier bars and international drinks.

Our room was adequate. A decent size, a little tired in terms of decor, but clean and everything worked.

The food was OK. But only OK. Nothing to say wow about.

But the downside was having to attend one of their sales meeting as part of the Groupon deal. No matter how much we said no, they kept trying their hard sell. I'm sure that those of a weaker disposition would eventually cave in and sign over their life savings. Although they did show us some of the luxury villas on offer and they really did have that wow factor.

B

Big

Sr Big,

With the cost of Shareholder and Chairman's Circle memberships costing upwards of $100K USD your "low roller" and "muscle shirt" reference is just more smoke. We may see some Cheap Caribbean Travel clients staying at the resort dragging their knuckles on the ground as they move from place to place, but I assure you the vast majority of Lifestyle members do not fit into that characterization and the top tier members certainly do not although some probably do wear muscle shirts from time to time. I will admit I have stayed at Cabarete as a member once to see for myself the new digs. I am not in a rush to stay there again, but would without hesitation if I was bringing guests who wanted to experience something different from past visits.

The entire lifestyle resort is in fact more smoke. They are constantly being sued by their clientele. Their whole business model takes advantage of the less educated traveler. The lawsuits are all factored into their business concepts. Taking advantage of people and selling them something they don't want and cant afford is not a new concept, car dealers have been doing it for decades. Its just sleazy. I am sure there are some people of means that stay at the resorts but the majority are lower, middle class working blue color people who are not business savoy and jump at the fantasy of living like Royalty only to discover they are being soaked for an overpriced room and drinks.

E

El Rey de Mangu

The entire lifestyle resort is in fact more smoke. They are constantly being sued by their clientele. Their whole business model takes advantage of the less educated traveler. The lawsuits are all factored into their business concepts. Taking advantage of people and selling them something they don't want and cant afford is not a new concept, car dealers have been doing it for decades. Its just sleazy. I am sure there are some people of means that stay at the resorts but the majority are lower, middle class working blue color people who are not business savoy and jump at the fantasy of living like Royalty only to discover they are being soaked for an overpriced room and drinks.

I would say that Big, in fact, describes what is, most likely, 85% of the target market. His assessment of the vacation time share business is accurate. "I know you and Jim Bob don't need a presidential suite right now, but you will sleep well knowing we can put in you in one when the time comes". I don't need this job, I do it because I love the palm trees and gorgeous beaches. It was my dream job.

C

Cdn_Gringo

The abdication of personal responsibility is just more sour grapes. Lifestyles doesn't tie you to a chair and force you to sign a contract. Anyone with two working legs can stand up and leave the sales pitch anytime they want. They can't get your money if you don't give it to them. Granted some may not be well suited to negotiate an expensive long term service contract but whose fault is that ultimately.

People pay too much for a new car these days for exactly the same reasons you outline.

I've been a member for 14 years, long before I moved to the DR full time. This type of club membership only makes sense, if you are going to use it often. It is not particularly well suited for the family that takes one or two trips a year. It's not ideal for someone who wishes to travel to a different country every time although through resort affiliations, there are a whole whack of resorts worldwide one can book themselves into.

The membership locks in your vacation pricing for the term of the membership. So the prices I pay in service fees for accommodations are those that were in effect back in 2005. Today's pricing is significantly higher as one would expect. If you are satisfied staying in a room purchasing access to villas may not be your priority. If you do not need or wish to be picked up by the Lifestyles jet, that may be a needless perk that doesn't appeal to you. There is a membership for everyone with a graduated list of perks and benefits. It's like the "make your own salad" concept back home. You add to your plate what you want, it gets weighed and you are charged accordingly.

If you wish an in villa butler/concierge you can have that. If you wish to dine at swanky restaurants without having to worry about noisy children, you can have that too. It's not for everyone but for those who wish to vacation often in the DR it can be sound decision if amortized over a long enough period of time and one is astute enough to bargain hard for only those benefits that are of use to them at a price that makes sense.

Sure some people have no business spending money they do not have for things they will not use. But whose fault is that really? If you can do basic math, and you have a reasonable knowledge of how much it costs to book a 1 week trip for the type of accommodations you would like to occupy, then it's pretty easy to determine if the cost of a particular membership level is a good deal or not.

For me, the Club has fulfilled their obligations under my membership when it is humanly possible for them to do so. I can reasonably expect to receive the service I paid for and should not expect a level of service that I did not pay for.

From my other posts it should be pretty clear why the club is structured the way it is. All the owners of the suites & villas expect to get paid. All the members expect to receive the benefits they are entitled to. All of the guests expect to be well looked after. The nonmembers who arrive believing they will enjoy the perks that I do because some travel website site makes mention of VIP perks should have realized that that definition of VIP in no way approaches what VIP means for top tier members.

90,000 members with various levels of entitlement can use Cabarete if they wish to travel to the North Coast and cannot secure a reservation at Cofresi. Lifestyles Punta Cana is there for those who find traveling to PC easier or cheaper. Lifestyles Cancun for those who wish to travel to Mexico. Lifestyles can keep Cabarete afloat when a different entity might not be able to accomplish the same result over the long term.

It is certainly not unheard of for business disputes to end up in court, but one just has to look at who seems to end up on top most of the time. If some purchaser make a mistake and sign a bad deal, that doesn't automatically translate into everyone getting taken to the cleaners.

But enough already. You have your opinion and others have theirs. You seem to have been able to avoid joining the Club and that's your prerogative. Just because it's not something you are interested in doesn't make it automatically a bad deal for everyone. I will admit my membership was much more valuable to me when I lived in a place with snow up to my shoulders 6 months out of the year but I still go to Lifestyles five or six time a year when I don't feel like making my own bed or cooking my own meals. My wife ensures that we get our moneys worth every year.

Last edited:
B

Big

Taking advantage of people even if they are able bodied adults is not who I want to do business with. Many of the people who got the pressure/con/sale trifecta suffered serious financial setbacks. Glad it worked for you however.

H

Harleysrock

i used to stay at these places, it's not exactly high rollers that go there in my opinion. I went for the buffets lol but i would rent a car every time and hardly spend anytime at the AI in whatever Country.
If i still liked that, I think the Cabarete one would be awesome bc it is so close to everything unlike most of the ones where it's a lot more tough to leave.

I won't support that company as I know they are shifty as **** but I really do hope it helps Cab!

E

El Rey de Mangu

The abdication of personal responsibility is just more sour grapes. Lifestyles doesn't tie you to a chair and force you to sign a contract. Anyone with two working legs can stand up and leave the sales pitch anytime they want. They can't get your money if you don't give it to them. Granted some may not be well suited to negotiate an expensive long term service contract but whose fault is that ultimately.

People pay too much for a new car these days for exactly the same reasons you outline.

I've been a member for 14 years, long before I moved to the DR full time. This type of club membership only makes sense, if you are going to use it often. It is not particularly well suited for the family that takes one or two trips a year. It's not ideal for someone who wishes to travel to a different country every time although through resort affiliations, there are a whole whack of resorts worldwide one can book themselves into.

The membership locks in your vacation pricing for the term of the membership. So the prices I pay in service fees for accommodations are those that were in effect back in 2005. Today's pricing is significantly higher as one would expect. If you are satisfied staying in a room purchasing access to villas may not be your priority. If you do not need or wish to be picked up by the Lifestyles jet, that may be a needless perk that doesn't appeal to you. There is a membership for everyone with a graduated list of perks and benefits. It's like the "make your own salad" concept back home. You add to your plate what you want, it gets weighed and you are charged accordingly.

If you wish an in villa butler/concierge you can have that. If you wish to dine at swanky restaurants without having to worry about noisy children, you can have that too. It's not for everyone but for those who wish to vacation often in the DR it can be sound decision if amortized over a long enough period of time and one is astute enough to bargain hard for only those benefits that are of use to them at a price that makes sense.

Sure some people have no business spending money they do not have for things they will not use. But whose fault is that really? If you can do basic math, and you have a reasonable knowledge of how much it costs to book a 1 week trip for the type of accommodations you would like to occupy, then it's pretty easy to determine if the cost of a particular membership level is a good deal or not.

For me, the Club has fulfilled their obligations under my membership when it is humanly possible for them to do so. I can reasonably expect to receive the service I paid for and should not expect a level of service that I did not pay for.

From my other posts it should be pretty clear why the club is structured the way it is. All the owners of the suites & villas expect to get paid. All the members expect to receive the benefits they are entitled to. All of the guests expect to be well looked after. The nonmembers who arrive believing they will enjoy the perks that I do because some travel website site makes mention of VIP perks should have realized that that definition of VIP in no way approaches what VIP means for top tier members.

90,000 members with various levels of entitlement can use Cabarete if they wish to travel to the North Coast and cannot secure a reservation at Cofresi. Lifestyles Punta Cana is there for those who find traveling to PC easier or cheaper. Lifestyles Cancun for those who wish to travel to Mexico. Lifestyles can keep Cabarete afloat when a different entity might not be able to accomplish the same result over the long term.

It is certainly not unheard of for business disputes to end up in court, but one just has to look at who seems to end up on top most of the time. If some purchaser make a mistake and sign a bad deal, that doesn't automatically translate into everyone getting taken to the cleaners.

But enough already. You have your opinion and others have theirs. You seem to have been able to avoid joining the Club and that's your prerogative. Just because it's not something you are interested in doesn't make it automatically a bad deal for everyone. I will admit my membership was much more valuable to me when I lived in a place with snow up to my shoulders 6 months out of the year but I still go to Lifestyles five or six time a year when I don't feel like making my own bed or cooking my own meals. My wife ensures that we get our moneys worth every year.

No need to take a defensive posture. You are clearly part of the 15%. From the quality of your writing and depth and breadth of your knowledge evidenced in your posts, most likely the 5%.

E

El Rey de Mangu

i used to stay at these places, it's not exactly high rollers that go there in my opinion. I went for the buffets lol but i would rent a car every time and hardly spend anytime at the AI in whatever Country.
If i still liked that, I think the Cabarete one would be awesome bc it is so close to everything unlike most of the ones where it's a lot more tough to leave.

I won't support that company as I know they are shifty as **** but I really do hope it helps Cab!

Cab needs a face-lift and a new demographic. I don't think the timeshare rental model is the path to that.

J

jd426

Dont have the time nor inclination to read this in any detail, as it will never affect me . Assuming this is some kind of TIME share deal though ?
oone thing I do know .. All of these types of Schemes, and they are Schemes . Most of the money goes immediately to HUGE Commissions , and there is nothing left for anything else. So you will still be saddled with all future bills in one way or the other .. if it be MAINTENANCE Fees or other overprices Services when needed
.. this is what makes it a SCAM.. the money never went to the UNIT or Time allotment of that Unit ( ie a "share") you thought you " purchased" ,but rather it ALL went into peoples Pockets .. And then with your CONTRACT , they BORROWED Money which then has to be paid off in installments .
Its like buying a Fancy Car , and then you find out that 75 % went to the salesman and co
, and you then STILL have payments for LIFE to pay off the car and the Maintenance on it .
In effect a LOAN for life ..one you cant even stop , even when you DIE , your family can then keep paying it if they want to " keep" the unit ..
"Time share" , " vacation club" its all a scam

Last edited: