line ups at Claro in POP

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I went by Claro in POP the other day to get a new sim card. The line up at 9:30 was out the door and looked insane. Frustrating, as since I suspended my phone number when I lost the sim card, I can only get a new one at the main office in POP.

Does anyone have recommendations for a time when the line up is not so busy? It used to be in the past that it was fast if you got there first thing, but obviously my old strategy didn't work.

Thanks in advance,

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
9:30am is not first thing in the morning regarding anything Dominican related, here or abroad.
If the curfew is lifted at 5am, I can assure you that the first person on line, is there at 5:05am with a cafecito in hand.
Before 7am would be recommended, preferably on a Wednesday.
Avoid Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays at all costs.

Reactions: Taylor

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As well, always maintain a mental note of the person in front of you, and behind you in the queue .
Interlopers will always try to mingle in, especially if an off-guard friendly foreigner is involved.
Sad, but true.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The Claro counter in Player is never open. And their useless app makes it near impossible to add a new credit card

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Try their web page. For some unknown reason I do not possess their app anymore.

But I have only tried with a local debit card, that was easy peasy. No guarantees though, though online systems here seems to be improving in spite of dirty luz

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The Claro counter in Player is never open. And their useless app makes it near impossible to add a new credit card

FWIW, I was told by Claro you cannot register an international card with the app. Only national cards or bank debit cards.

@Taylor, you can go to just about any Claro authorized distributor to get a sim card. It doesn't have to be a Claro office.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
@ JDJones

Normally yes, but because I suspended my account when I lost the phone, I could only get a replacement in the big CLARO office.

Ended up going another day at 9:30. Only a 30 min wait, half of it outside the other half inside. Pretty standard, they have organized it somewhat and put in a shade structure and separated the lines in payments and customer service. Of course a few line cutters came in, but mostly everyone followed the rules.

Reactions: JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
FWIW, I was told by Claro you cannot register an international card with the app. Only national cards or bank debit cards.

@Taylor, you can go to just about any Claro authorized distributor to get a sim card. It doesn't have to be a Claro office.
No I was able to but after the card was changed to rfid the card number changed and I have been unable to add the new one

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012

FYI, I have two credit cards from U.S. Banks that I use with Claro. I had no problem registering them on the Claro app. but that was a couple years ago, so maybe their policy has changed. At any rate, my cards still work whenever I buy prepaid credit with the app.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
FYI, I have two credit cards from U.S. Banks that I use with Claro. I had no problem registering them on the Claro app. but that was a couple years ago, so maybe their policy has changed. At any rate, my cards still work whenever I buy prepaid credit with the app.
I have never had a problem with them using my international card in a Claro Service Center or distributor. The counter person in the Claro service center was the one who told me I couldn't use my international card on the miclaro website.

That was about 3 years ago. I did try to register it on the website about 3 months ago and it wouldn't accept it. Kinda wacky.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Was there the other other day, two and a have hours waiting outside and yes a couple inconsiderate fu********* as****** cut in line all the way up front, some of these people have no shame at all. I had a few words with one of them but it didn't seem to bother him at all,as soon as they let the next 4 or five people in i was going to push him out of line but he left by then. Only about 3 people working, don't go there unless you absolutely have to.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I went 15 minutes before they open, If I remember correctly they open at 8 and only had 4 people in front of me. I was in and out quickly. I was upgrading my hot spot.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I went 15 minutes before they open, If I remember correctly they open at 8 and only had 4 people in front of me. I was in and out quickly. I was upgrading my hot spot.
When one goes early to any office here one has a very good idea of how long they will have to wait. Go after they're open and it's a crap shoot.

Reactions: Garyexpat

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Many businesses and especially the banks need more counter staff to keep the process moving. Sadly, that does not seem to be a priority for the businesses or the staff working who keep doing things the old inefficient snail's pace way and the lines just keep getting longer as a result. The only difference is that most of the wait is now outside in the hot sun instead of inside where there might be air conditioning. Outside with adequate distance is the safer option but a lot less appealing to most. And that distance thing is such a foreign concept to most people, they can't help themselves and bunch up needlessly. One square meter of shade probably results in lots of infections over the course of a day outside a bank or busy business.