lists Scams to beware of DR that has happen to you...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
My favorite one is your at the gas station and you tell the guy to put in 1500 peso and he puts in 1050 and tries to pocket the 450... this has happen many times to me...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My favorite one is your at the gas station and you tell the guy to put in 1500 peso and he puts in 1050 and tries to pocket the 450... this has happen many times to me...

I am SHOCKED that YOU could be beaten on that one....

Never for me..... but I watch carefully... out of the car if necessary

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My first month here, I had a flat in Santo Domingo and took it to a tire store off Independencia not far from immigration. While working on it, they showed me a crack in a tailpipe, and offered to fix it for RD$500.

Fixed they did. They stole my catalytic converter I found out later.

• Haha
Reactions: Dubcreator

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
My friend drives a Honda CRV. He went to the gas station in Charamicos and got some gas. The gas jockey told him that his gas cap was missing. Miraculously, the gas jockey had an original one on hand and he sold it for 500 pesos. What are the odds??? One of the best scams ever.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was a rookie here . trust me everyone got scam a few times if you live here long enough
Before I moved to the DR, I was taken for RD$2500 by a street money changer. He was damn good at what he did, and took advantage of my greed. At the time the rate was like 28. He offered 31.

I should have known better.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was a rookie here . trust me everyone got scam a few times if you live here long enough

ONCE - count'em ONCE - the pump jockey got for 50 pesos

live here long enuff........it was early on in 11 yrs

when I asked for cinquo ciento of gasolina....
might have given me away !!!!!!

hahaha

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What ever happened to the proceeds of Dominican Kids, that got brushed under the rug?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I was working much in Canada and international places so depended heavily upon a Canadian Realtor to help me with domestic purchases and maintenance.

And an American developer..... both overcharged thousands of dollars on everything that was done.
Such as the metal stairwell to the top of the roof....100% markup...I find out from the metal fabricator 5 years later when he quoted me 50% less to build another in another location.
Between my two friends and me we got scammed for over 200K USD ..... the apartments we had built to ''standard'' ...virtually collapsed.
The fault was totally ours..... we put trust in them..... Some Canadians are really trusting folk.... but not stupid.
The Legal firm was the most prestigious in this country ... so they used their Firm Name to provide credibility.
Other than that I have traveled this country and know what to expect to pay in most zones for services....I have never been disappointed nor scammed..... if so, it wasn't much or enough to notice.