lists Scams to beware of DR that has happen to you...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I was on my way into Puerto Plata from Sosua and two guys in a little sedan alongside. I felt a bump but kept driving. Then again a second bump and then they began pointing. So I pulled over and the guy said something fell off your car and look there's liquid dripping. I thing they had throw a plastic jug with water.
He wanted be to go to his friends garage but funny thing is I was on my way to a mechanic anyway.
There was nothing wrong just a scam. Probably best never to pull over for a Dominican pointing at your car if it's still moving. And never ever follow them to a garage or other place.
Looked at buying a car once and met the guy in La Sirena. Told me the car was perfect. OK let's test drive it. 100 yards out of the parking lot all the lights went out and car shut down. Decided I'd walk back - he called me later offering it for $1,000 US less. Told him no gracias incluso si es gratis

That's a funny story .... sorry to say this be there is no honor code here... also anyone says I"m a man of god you need to watch your pants pockets

Reactions: David B

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
my rule of thumb is always be on point and check everything ... never let your guard down.....

one more thing to watch is when buying pre cut cheese from the supermarkets they put little pieces of cheese under the nicely full cut cheese another words the scapes under the bottom to get more weight....its a small thing but why nickle and dime me

Reactions: David B

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Before I moved to the DR, I was taken for RD$2500 by a street money changer. He was damn good at what he did, and took advantage of my greed. At the time the rate was like 28. He offered 31.

I should have known better.
I had something similar in Santo Domingo 17 years ago. I needed some pesos and was heading towards a bank. A guy stopped me and asked me if I wanted to exchange some money. He offered me a really good rate, much higher than the bank and I changed up US$300 into pesos. The guy started counting the money into my hand and I saw the first note that was a 1000. Just then another guy tapped my on my shoulder and asked me if I wanted a taxi. I said no but he tried to distract keep me long enough so the the money changer switched from 1000's to 50's whilst I was not looking. As I turned around he put another 1000 on the top of the pile so I would not notice the 50's underneath. Before I even had time to check the money both had run away. I was left there with about 2500 pesos in my hand and I just stood there cursing myself for being so gullible! I must admit, they played it extremely well so for their effort, I gave them 10 out of 10!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right Black Knight - always stay on point

Another thing I am deliberate about is to frequent the same establishments.... I don't vary much

The long term patronage pays off, I find... and chances of getting 'skinned' drop dramatically

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Before I moved to the DR, I was taken for RD$2500 by a street money changer. He was damn good at what he did, and took advantage of my greed. At the time the rate was like 28. He offered 31.

I should have known better.
How exactly?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
When having you car repaired after a accident..body work is very tricky here...check everything, mostly other customers................

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
yes but on flip side I got flat back tire in sosua immediately Dominicans come riding up on moto an push me with their feet to garage, kid works hard fixes rear flat (not easy) I’m thinking what’s THIS gonna cost me? was only 200 pesos ! 5 bucks ! i cudda been gouged. beware, but lotta good also

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Did you have to compensate those who pushed you to the garage. I find it hard to believe that the pushers didn't have their hands out.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
When I started reading this thread, I thought for myself, scammed, not so much. Then the memories from back then the early years from 1998 started to surface :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, last years I can not remember anything. Shit has happened like Claro not registering payments and gas station double charged credit card, but investigation revealed this due to technical errors not fraud. Money returned.

I remember once in Cabarete when the ATM close to Villa Taina/beach entrance gave me a false 1000 peso bill which was rejected at a bar later on.

Me very pissed off went inside the bank only wearing shorts, no shirt. Was adviced by gunpoint to leave the building:ROFLMAO:

Another one : Grabbed by the balls at 5pm outside my surf spot in public at Vela after rejecting a blow job from a drug addict.
She emptied my pocket money without my notice with her other hand. Noticed shortly after and run back, she was nowhere to see. Went to the police station and filed a claim that she had robbed substantialy more money than she did.

Police happily knew her, and went away to get their reward on their motos. Guess she had a tough time to explain where all the money was.

Yes, a lot of stories, but all more than fifteen years old. Times were wild then in Sosua/Cabarete. And I am more street wise.

Last time I were «scammed» I went to the mechanic in Cabarete recommended here at DR1 to check the AC in my CRV.
Big mistake, they mounted a non original fan that did not fit, I lost all the cooling liquid in Callejon because they did not screw the cap on properly. When I had added liquid and could go back, they wanted to sell me cheap cooling liquid which I did not see fit. But they charged me enough for the job, I should have known when the owner magically knew the price for original fan without checking when I wanted a quote for the job.

Ordered radiator to be filled up with drinking water and went home to do the job myself changing the liquid with proper stuff.
Bought a proper radiator cap another place and not the cheap replacement they gave me.

Then I went to my preferred machanic for serious stuff and got to change the fan with something that fit, original.

He laughed initially and called the other mechanics , they were amused at looking at the job/fan.

Now I only get ripped off if choosing the wrong mechanic or person to help me. I consider that my fault, bad research.