Living in the Dominican Republic? Here's how to be a better expat

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I feel badly for that girl. She was pleading with him not to record her because she correctly knew he was going to publicly humiliate her. As if selling her body and her dignity wasn't bad enough.
That rat would be lucky to score 500 pesos back home in her barrio for the same ___ and she knows it.

Reactions: Big

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I agree with most of what she says :devilish:

Maybe the delivery could have been better and it probably does not apply to DR1 posters but I understand where she is coming from.
Sounds to me (tho I didn't bother after the opener/ drivel) this brod has an inferiority complex.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Sounds to me (tho I didn't bother after the opener/ drivel) this brod has an inferiority complex.

How ?

You speak the language, we may disagree on many things, but you do have a good grasp and appreciation of dominican culture (the good, bad & ugly). It s not based on the amount of time you have been here but a conscious or unconscious effort to do so. What's wrong with that ? At the end of the day, it makes living here more pleasurable.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Go to Washington Heights and see how Dominicans assimilate. That is IF you speak Spanish because many will not speak English. Having said that I have assimilated, speak Spanish and feel as comfortable having a few beers at the local colmado (and sometimes more so) or at one fo the finer restaurants.

So you compare yourself to a newly arrived poor and barely educated immigrant moving from a third world to a rich country ?

There are totally different dynamics. Many of their children do assimilate. One of my closed friend and the first Dominican I have ever met in my life, is a Dominican from the Bronx and now a very successful Chemical Engineer.

Reactions: Michael DR

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Article written by a Dominican living on the north coast of DR. Let's all do better in this beautiful country! :)

Are you the Dominican living on the North Coast who wrote this article by any chance ??? :cool:

Reactions: Michael DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Relax, it's just a Dominican blog writer who lives in NY and comes to the island to visit once in a while posting content to draw looks to her online presence.
She even posted it twice for maximum exposure.

I'd bet even money she a "one post and gone" contributor.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree with the no haggle recommendation. No one likes to get ripped off and I'm no exception. But when we're talking about paying 10 pesos instead of 5 for a banana, as I did the other day, it just isn't that important. Will I go back to the guy that ripped me off for 20 pesos? Does it really matter?

I will search for other items that I might agree with. I think this is worth of serious discussion, even if it was written by a wokie.
Then you will have to tell my wife , who is Dominican, she should not haggle over everything. (Good luck with that!)

The article was written by a clueless liberal with a lack of perspective on life in the DR.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Go to Washington Heights and see how Dominicans assimilate. That is IF you speak Spanish because many will not speak English. Having said that I have assimilated, speak Spanish and feel as comfortable having a few beers at the local colmado (and sometimes more so) or at one fo the finer restaurants.
Dominicans assimilate like everyone else. I guess the Chinese aren't assimlating in Chinatown and Russians in Brighton Beach. The Heights is slowing changing and more and more live in Northern NJ, Long Island where less Spanish is spoken. Your level of English depends on your time in the US and sometimes your age. It is sort of like the gringos on the North Coast.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Relax, it's just a Dominican blog writer who lives in NY and comes to the island to visit once in a while posting content to draw looks to her online presence.
She even posted it twice for maximum exposure.

I'd bet even money she a "one post and gone" contributor.
Moraima Capellán Pichardo is a Dominican-born, writer, visual creator, organizer and yoga teacher. After living in Brooklyn, New York, Moraima returned home and is based in Cabarete, Dominican Republic.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Then you will have to tell my wife , who is Dominican, she should not haggle over everything. (Good luck with that!)

The article was written by a clueless liberal with a lack of perspective on life in the DR.

She lives in DR and is Dominican-born :rolleyes:

Me thinks your wife is not an expat, is she ?

Reactions: ElNaranjo

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

:)It's in your wife's blood. She will never stop. But for me, I try to ask myself, who needs it more?

Totally agree with your assessment of the alleged author. It's obvious she has been taught all that BS and is unable to think for herself. Hopefully she grows up.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Moraima Capellán Pichardo is a Dominican-born, writer, visual creator, organizer and yoga teacher. After living in Brooklyn, New York, Moraima returned home and is based in Cabarete, Dominican Republic.
Moraima is the person who wrote the article. I don't know how long she has been back, but I'd guess not that long, based on her writing.

It was posted here by domincanabroad, a new poster on DR1. She is Gerry Isabelle, the person I was referring to, Sweetie. :)

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My wife is from Jarabacoa. Don't tell her not to haggle. It is part of the culture here.

Thank you. I don't think she expressed that Dominican should not haggle over everything but Expats.

I personally disagree with the author on that one, I am not going to haggle over 10 pesos but the fact of the matter is that many sellers will double their price as soon as they hear a foreign accent. I don't live in the barrios and make 15k DOP a month but I don't see why I would pay double for the same avocado/pineapple because I can afford it. In fact, for larger items, I send a Dominican friend to inquire about the price so that I have a base to haggle to.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I have to wonder as to the term 'expat'. As in no longer a patriot? Perhaps for Snowden who had to flee to Russia, fearing for his safety in the US. Imagrant is a better term if you're planning to stay. And since you left your homeworld, leave the attitude with it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
:)It's in your wife's blood. She will never stop. But for me, I try to ask myself, who needs it more?

Totally agree with your assessment of the alleged author. It's obvious she has been taught all that BS and is unable to think for herself. Hopefully she grows up.

Oh, if you disagree she can not think for herself ? Is that how it works ?

Only conservatives were gifted with a brain?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I agree with the no haggle recommendation. No one likes to get ripped off and I'm no exception. But when we're talking about paying 10 pesos instead of 5 for a banana, as I did the other day, it just isn't that important. Will I go back to the guy that ripped me off for 20 pesos? Does it really matter?

IMO, you are mentioning two totally different things above... paying 10 pesos instead of 5 pesos for an item is a 100 % price difference (so while perhaps a small amount of money, the difference is huge), but as in your second example, you don't mention what is the price point for the item where you paid 20 pesos too much... If the original price was 5 pesos or 5000 pesos, there is a big difference and a totally different thing...