Living in the Dominican Republic? Here's how to be a better expat

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
She was taught that BS. It makes no sense. Wokies are not that gifted.

What is a Wokie ? Please explain.

What makes no sense ? The writing makes observations on what she observed living in Cabarete, a tourist town...It may not apply to you but certainly apply to some expats, especially in tourist towns.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
What is a Wokie ? Please explain.

What makes no sense ? The writing makes observations on what she observed living in Cabarete, a tourist town...It may not apply to you but certainly apply to some expats, especially in tourist towns.

A wokie (not to be confused with a wookie unless said wokie doesn't ever shave) is someone who ascribes to the woke philosophy, to wit:

1. White supremacy is a or the major problem in the western world.
2. American cops target black and brown individuals to shoot (this of course is contrary to statistics).
3. Systemic racism is keeping the black (and possibly brown) culture(s) down. Again, this is contrary to the myriad of opportunities that all people are given.
4. Whites should stop acting so white. Whatever tf that means.
5. Math is racist.

I'm sure there are more but those are the more obvious ones. The observations the alleged author made are filtered thru her woke-colored glasses. She sees what she wants to see.

Again, there is some truth to what she says in a couple of points. But she loses people, as shown by comments other than myself, when she goes overboard on the wokieisms.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A wokie (not to be confused with a wookie unless said wokie doesn't ever shave) is someone who ascribes to the woke philosophy, to wit:

1. White supremacy is a or the major problem in the western world.
2. American cops target black and brown individuals to shoot (this of course is contrary to statistics).
3. Systemic racism is keeping the black (and possibly brown) culture(s) down. Again, this is contrary to the myriad of opportunities that all people are given.
4. Whites should stop acting so white. Whatever tf that means.
5. Math is racist.

I'm sure there are more but those are the more obvious ones. The observations the alleged author made are filtered thru her woke-colored glasses. She sees what she wants to see.

Again, there is some truth to what she says in a couple of points. But she loses people, as shown by comments other than myself, when she goes overboard on the wokieisms.

You sound clueless and just despise the fact the people of colors righteously fight for social justice and a better world for ALL. Advances were made but it is still not perfect, but I guess you can't or refuse to see that and rather belittle the ones pointing that out or the ones disagree with your sanctimonious views.

Thankfully, you could call your haitian kid wokie if, God forbids, he ever complains about being called bruto or mono :rolleyes:

By the way, I am a Math head, so were my parents.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
You sound clueless and just despise the fact the people of colors righteously fight for social justice and a better world for ALL. Advances were made but it is still not perfect, but I guess you can't or refuse to see that and rather belittle the ones pointing that out or the ones disagree with your sanctimonious views.

Thankfully, you could call your haitian kid wokie if, God forbids, he ever complains about being called bruto or mono :rolleyes: Good luck with that !

By the way, I am a Math head, so were my parents.

What social justice? Were you refused anything in the USA because you are black? Were you beaten by cops because you are black? Again, stats back up that black on black crime is so much more relevant than anything else for the black community (outside of single moms).

I'm raising my kid to be responsible, get a job, and support his family. Not to whine on about some perceived injustice.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What social justice? Were you refused anything in the USA because you are black? Were you beaten by cops because you are black? Again, stats back up that black on black crime is so much more relevant than anything else for the black community (outside of single moms).

I'm raising my kid to be responsible, get a job, and support his family. Not to whine on about some perceived injustice.

This is how I was raised and the way I raise my children, what makes you think otherwise ? One doesn't prevent the other. Your bias is showing.

We are not whining but pointing out the facts. No one denies that Black communities is free of problems and that the problems is always "others". If it wasn't for "whiners", Apartheid/slavery etc would still exist.

Back to expats in DR :(

Reactions: Michael DR

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This is how I was raised and the way I raise my children, what makes you think otherwise ? One doesn't prevent the other. Your bias is showing.

We are not whining but pointing out the facts. No one denies that Black communities is free of problems and that the problems is always "others". If it wasn't for "whiners", Apartheid/slavery etc would still exist.

Back to expats in DR :(

What "facts?" You don't point out the fact that black on black crime dwarfs anything else. You don't point out the fact that police are statistically more likely to shoot a white person over a black person. You don't point out the fact that 13% of the population commits' over 50% of the violent crimes. You don't point out that facts that kids raised by single moms are more likely to fall thru the cracks and end up in prison.

Please, tell us some facts! Show us where blacks are not permitted to go or work.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I was there and saw it first hand. The biggest difference was that the Dominican food was higher in quality than here.
I had a friend in San Cristobal who grew up there and later in life moved to S.C. He b
So you compare yourself to a newly arrived poor and barely educated immigrant moving from a third world to a rich country ?

There are totally different dynamics. Many of their children do assimilate. One of my closed friend and the first Dominican I have ever met in my life, is a Dominican from the Bronx and now a very successful Chemical Engineer.
I was 2nd generation born in U.S. to a lower middle class family. 2 of my 4 grandparents, possibly 3 but my grandfather on my dad's side died before I was born, learned English. It was a different time but people realized that learning English was essential. "poor and barely educated immigrant" what a stereotype. I ran a business with 5 offices in Manhattan 95-97 and had many Dominican employees, some laborers who spoke no English and many office staff that were bilingual. Many of them worked 2 jobs and still attended classes, mostly at a community type university. Of the ones that didn't speak any English, most made no effort to learn. Since getting a visa to the U.S. is not an easy task for a Dominican I would say most I know came from middle to upper class Dominican structure. I believe that there has to be an incentive to assimilate and in some ways the states makes it too easy not to do so.
Anyway, I have Dominican friends from all social/economic structures. The fact still remains that for many not just in N.Y. but Miami, where I moved to from N.Y. do not make much of an effort.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Dominicans assimilate like everyone else. I guess the Chinese aren't assimlating in Chinatown and Russians in Brighton Beach. The Heights is slowing changing and more and more live in Northern NJ, Long Island where less Spanish is spoken. Your level of English depends on your time in the US and sometimes your age. It is sort of like the gringos on the North Coast.
I agree with a lot of what you say and your comparison to gringos on the north coast is spot on except for the fact that they are, for the most part considerably older than new visa arrivals in the states. Obviously when a grandparent gets a visa and moves over I would not expect them, except for a few to learn English.

Reactions: Tom F.

LTDan

Apr 29, 2021
SDQ
Article written by a Dominican living on the north coast of DR. Let's all do better in this beautiful country! :)

kind of reminds me of when I log on to the internet and I see a total BS article that says "Twenty things that Europeans find annoying about Americans"

Reactions: windeguy

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
What "facts?" You don't point out the fact that black on black crime dwarfs anything else. You don't point out the fact that police are statistically more likely to shoot a white person over a black person. You don't point out the fact that 13% of the population commits' over 50% of the violent crimes. You don't point out that facts that kids raised by single moms are more likely to fall thru the cracks and end up in prison.

Please, tell us some facts! Show us where blacks are not permitted to go or work.
You know that liberals do not like facts. They deal in "feelings".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thread moved to Living Forum at request of the OP.

I realize the article addresses race in DR, and it inevitably became part of the discussion here.

In view of our policy not to discuss race, I ask that what’s already been posted be the end of it. I have not deleted anything.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Let s see....

371 civilians having been shot, 71 of whom were Black, in the first five months of 2021. So, since Blacks are 13% of the population out of 371 civilians, it should be 48....You don't see an imbalance, but I am sure you will find that justified.

50 % of marriage end up in divorce, why do you feel the need to single out Black single moms ?

So, yeah, I tell my kids if they ever gets arrested for a routine stop to not make any sudden move and cooperate. Why ? Because many people like you, I inherently convinced that they are inherently violent even though they essential live privileges' life of middle class/upper-middle kids whether in the US or DR.

Many associations are working hard in Black communities to remediate Black on Black crime, gun violence, teen pregnancy, addiction and so on. ...But you chose to ignore it to fit your narrative and please you.

Minority are not asking for permission to go or to work everywhere but the same access to jobs, promotions or even bank loans to buy a house. If you think they are the same for us, you live in an utopia that sadly doesn't exist.

Now, keep on "saving" Haitian kids and put me on ignore. Mèsi.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You misunderstood my point. Yes, we have good and bad experiences in life. My point was to learn from them and often times one can learn more from a negative experience than a positive one.

I can't disagree on that and might add that we tend learn better from the negative ones, but it has nothing to do with political views. Being liberal does not mean, we are striving to live like in communist Cuba (at least not on my part, having spent times there).

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I can't disagree on that and might add that we tend learn better from the negative ones, but it has nothing to do with political views. Being liberal does not mean, we are striving to live like in communist Cuba (at least not on my part, having spent times there).
STOP THE PRESSES!!!! Africaida and I agree on something........actually I am sure that if we ever met we would get along fine, at least if we didn't talk politics. Have a great day!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last 4 posts deleted, off topic/not DR related.

I left Africaida’s post because she responded at the same time that I posted my warning, so didn’t see it.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thread moved to Living Forum at request of the OP.

I realize the article addresses race in DR, and it inevitably became part of the discussion here.

In view of our policy not to discuss race, I ask that what’s already been posted be the end of it. I have not deleted anything.

In fact, the article barely mention race, the target audience is gringos which would include me. Gringa morena but still viewed as a gringa (which is fine by me).

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Thank you. I don't think she expressed that Dominican should not haggle over everything but Expats.

I personally disagree with the author on that one, I am not going to haggle over 10 pesos but the fact of the matter is that many sellers will double their price as soon as they hear a foreign accent. I don't live in the barrios and make 15k DOP a month but I don't see why I would pay double for the same avocado/pineapple because I can afford it. In fact, for larger items, I send a Dominican friend to inquire about the price so that I have a base to haggle to.
Well said, atleast you have one good point. Although I also don't make 15k a month, why should I pay more in general just because I'm white and maybe able to afford it?
I remember when I first came here, one of my wife's(she is Dominicana born and raised in Sosúa) friends came over to our house and she told my wife she should donate stuff to her, just because "you are married to a gringo".
That's what kind of annoys me about the general perception and also that point that the writer is pointing out. Just because I'm white and a foreigner doesn't mean that I'm a millionaire and that I can throw away my money to everyone that stops me.
So sadly a lot of people abuse that, and that is really annoying.
But then if for example I buy 20 platanos and the total cost is really 295 pesos and I pay 300 and they don't give me 5 pesos back, that doesn't bother me at all.

Or like in Playero, although that is a totally different issue there when they aren't able to return the complete change if they should return like 29 pesos but they only return 25, that bothers me in one sense because they have put that into a system to doing so to everyone. And when you start calculating how many people go there each day and then understanding that it is pure profit and that it ONLY benefits the already wealthy owners, then that is annoying.

So I do as you do, something that sadly my wife doesn't understand. For example, instead of taking my car myself to the shop to get it fixed, I tell my father in law to take it or someone else of my Dominican friends. Just because I know that if I go instead of charging me 5000 pesos for the job, they will charge me 10000 pesos or even more.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Let s see....

371 civilians having been shot, 71 of whom were Black, in the first five months of 2021. So, since Blacks are 13% of the population out of 371 civilians, it should be 48....You don't see an imbalance, but I am sure you will find that justified.

50 % of marriage end up in divorce, why do you feel the need to single out Black single moms ?

So, yeah, I tell my kids if they ever gets arrested for a routine stop to not make any sudden move and cooperate. Why ? Because many people like you, I inherently convinced that they are inherently violent even though they essential live privileges' life of middle class/upper-middle kids whether in the US or DR.

Many associations are working hard in Black communities to remediate Black on Black crime, gun violence, teen pregnancy, addiction and so on. ...But you chose to ignore it to fit your narrative and please you.

Minority are not asking for permission to go or to work everywhere but the same access to jobs, promotions or even bank loans to buy a house. If you think they are the same for us, you live in an utopia that sadly doesn't exist.

Now, keep on "saving" Haitian kids and put me on ignore. Mèsi.

Why would I put you on ignore? Makes absolutely no sense. I truly despise injustice. If you can point it out, I will stand besides you.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well said, atleast you have one good point. Although I also don't make 15k a month, why should I pay more in general just because I'm white and maybe able to afford it?
I remember when I first came here, one of my wife's(she is Dominicana born and raised in Sosúa) friends came over to our house and she told my wife she should donate stuff to her, just because "you are married to a gringo".
That's what kind of annoys me about the general perception and also that point that the writer is pointing out. Just because I'm white and a foreigner doesn't mean that I'm a millionaire and that I can throw away my money to everyone that stops me.
So sadly a lot of people abuse that, and that is really annoying.
But then if for example I buy 20 platanos and the total cost is really 295 pesos and I pay 300 and they don't give me 5 pesos back, that doesn't bother me at all.

Or like in Playero, although that is a totally different issue there when they aren't able to return the complete change if they should return like 29 pesos but they only return 25, that bothers me in one sense because they have put that into a system to doing so to everyone. And when you start calculating how many people go there each day and then understanding that it is pure profit and that it ONLY benefits the already wealthy owners, then that is annoying.

So I do as you do, something that sadly my wife doesn't understand. For example, instead of taking my car myself to the shop to get it fixed, I tell my father in law to take it or someone else of my Dominican friends. Just because I know that if I go instead of charging me 5000 pesos for the job, they will charge me 10000 pesos or even more.

That would 20K for me, being a foreign woman who knows nada about cars 😪

I was trying to buy an ATV, you should see the total porquerias I was shown for 300-500 K pesos, it was insulting. If I dare point out that it is junk, they argue with me. I test drive it for 10 secondes (because they that bad) and they still argue with me. I am like at what point, did you understand that I was trying to commit suicide on a motor ?

The best one is the one that tried to convince me to rent one (brand new) for a year for the affordable price of.....800 USD/month and got mad when I told him that it made no damn sense.

I have stories for days, but that s part of life in paradise 😁