Living in the Dominican Republic? Here's how to be a better expat

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Maybe they got tired of chasing the "good girls"
I have noticed that in Sosua....as advancing age slows the chasing down to a slow amble...these old guys find it easier to be chased, and it seems to be always caught..........

• Haha
Reactions: melphis

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Technically, you don't have to be a citizen to be an immigrant. Agree that you no longer a "guest" though, once citizen, it's your adoptive country.
Correct, you can be anything from an illegal immigrant to a naturalized citizen (with a legal resident being in between).

Reactions: Africaida

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I rest my case, no taste.
I agree that Dominican food in general has little to no taste here on "The Island that Spice forgot".

You might just really like bland food, but I won't presume things like you have proven prone to do now in various threads.

Now lets get back to the mostly clueless points of the article in question.

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
I agree that Dominican food in general has little to no taste here on "The Island that Spice forgot".

You might just really like bland food, but I won't presume things like you have proven prone to do now in various threads.

I see now that, in your mind, you need to be right and have the last word, so have at it.

I did a little search for your Winde Apartments and had a good laugh reading the comments LOL. Not much right happening there... :p

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016

Care for some salt on your ketchup & mayonnaise covered deep-fried thingy?
Seriously there ARE some TASTY dishes here! Cooked plátanos that taste like winter cakes, etc

Reactions: Michael DR

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see now that, in your mind, you need to be right and have the last word, so have at it.

I did a little search for your Winde Apartments and had a good laugh reading the comments LOL. Not much right happening there... :p
I see now that, in your mind, you have to be correct. In the case of Dominican food, your opinion is that it is good or great. That is an opinion and is not something that can be called correct or incorrect. I personally find little to be amazing about DR cuisine. I do eat some DR foods and supplement that with other non-Dominican restaurants and home cooking to get the missing spices that I crave from time to time.

At the moment, our Winde Apartments are full, so you are right. not much happening here!

Darn, I fed the troll again..

Reactions: Garyexpat and Big

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Care for some salt on your ketchup & mayonnaise covered deep-fried thingy?
Seriously there ARE some TASTY dishes here! Cooked plátanos that taste like winter cakes, etc
I didn't say that I dislike all DR foods. Just that they don't use any real spices. Ever see a Dominican eat a Habanero let alone a Jalapeno or have that as an option in their restaurants? I can't understand how green plantains (frito or mangu) and boiled yucca ever got to be food items.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I didn't say that I dislike all DR foods. Just that they don't use any real spices. Ever see a Dominican eat a Habanero let alone a Jalapeno or have that as an option in their restaurants? I can't understand how green plantains (frito or mangu) and boiled yucca ever got to be food items.

I never noticed that but you're right. However they do sell them in Ole and Jumbo. Once I bought some at Jumbo and couldn't finish them, they were so hot.

I prefer Mexican over Dominican any day.

Reactions: windeguy

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I never noticed that but you're right. However they do sell them in Ole and Jumbo. Once I bought some at Jumbo and couldn't finish them, they were so hot.

Road potholes complaints down. 19 years of electric and water issues not resolved. Let's bitch about the food.

• Haha
Reactions: ALLOR925

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

There are several hot peppers that grow here and are used frequently used in a liquid to put on your food. There are pretty damn hot. I have tabasco peppers ready to pick right now, and yes they are caliente. I have some finger peppers as well.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Have to agree, been in Mexico for years....not sure why super deep fried is in fashion here and not there............

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I worked at a real Mexican restaurant in Baltimore over 30 years ago. Then, living in Tucson was like living in northern Mexico. Great stuff all around.
I was a member of a multi-cultural immigrant settlement society in Canada for about ten years. We had potluck dinners every month. Lots of people from El Salvador and Honduras, and a few Mexicans but none of their food was as hot as the Indian and Thai food. We had a lot of fun in that society.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
A wokie (not to be confused with a wookie unless said wokie doesn't ever shave) is someone who ascribes to the woke philosophy, to wit:

1. White supremacy is a or the major problem in the western world.
2. American cops target black and brown individuals to shoot (this of course is contrary to statistics).
3. Systemic racism is keeping the black (and possibly brown) culture(s) down. Again, this is contrary to the myriad of opportunities that all people are given.
4. Whites should stop acting so white. Whatever tf that means.
5. Math is racist.

I'm sure there are more but those are the more obvious ones. The observations the alleged author made are filtered thru her woke-colored glasses. She sees what she wants to see.

Again, there is some truth to what she says in a couple of points. But she loses people, as shown by comments other than myself, when she goes overboard on the wokieisms.
Not to mention equity over equality!

Reactions: bob saunders

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are several hot peppers that grow here and are used frequently used in a liquid to put on your food. There are pretty damn hot. I have tabasco peppers ready to pick right now, and yes they are caliente. I have some finger peppers as well.
I have tasted Dominican hot sauce. About a 3 out of 10 with too much vinegar.

The peppers I have purchased and made my own hot sauce.

Reactions: bob saunders

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I have tasted Dominican hot sauce. About a 3 out of 10 with too much vinegar.

The peppers I have purchased and made my own hot sauce.
I have a background were my family eat a lot of indonesian, javanese food.
Over here, they sell a lot of different kinds of ready made “sambal”, 10-15 in each supermarket. They all have that light vinegar taste, not as bad as Tabasco, but when you have been used to homemade sambal is nothing better and healthier.
The only thing is you can only used for four or five days.

3-4 fresh good peppers (jalapeño, madame juliette, or the small ones you can have from own patio.
2-3 garlic
Half red onion
Piece of red pepper
Half tomatoe (to make it more liquid)

large pieces. Fry them in enough oil, 3-4 sooons, on low-medium fire.

let it cool down.

in the foodprocessor(https://www.coolblue.be/nl/product/...MI3uX1iqij8QIVzrLVCh2kiwOzEAQYGCABEgKmnvD_BwE)

than fry it again on low fire, 4-5 minutes, and Bob is your uncle.