'Living in the DR - ways to save money and world's resources'

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Lots of people have British accents, even some who are not British at all. :) (Actors routinely adopt various accents.) I have no idea what kind of accent Yan might or might not have, nor was I questioning his statement that he hails from England ... I was simply commenting on his style of writing, i.e. his usage and grammar, and it wasn't meant to be a criticism either... simply an observation.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Americans use the subjunctive ; brits rarely.
No I am British; raised in England.
Subjunctive is dying out in Holland too.
Yanandu

Lots of people have British accents, even some who are not British at all. :) (Actors routinely adopt various accents.) I have no idea what kind of accent Yan might or might not have, nor was I questioning his statement that he hails from England ... I was simply commenting on his style of writing, i.e. his usage and grammar, and it wasn't meant to be a criticism either... simply an observation.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Yan is taking critisims better than most!
After being beat down by a lot of posters ,he has never said anything ill,still sitting at his computer and one lightbulb
smiling and typing away
maybe just maybe he is a wise old man lol
..... but an easy target for humorous replies
Manu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
It's daylight. I have my o2cool fan only burns 10 watts.
Amazon.com: O2-Cool Model 1054 10" Indoor/Outdoor Fan: Home & Garden
Good life here!
Down to the beach soon.
But guys and gals must tell you the good news!
Andy and Erke have opened a new bar / restaurant in LT!
Beer 50 pesos a grande (1 dollar 30 cents ) and excellent food!
( Robert no commercial relationship with them )
Have to be very careful with Robert.
If you have me on ignore you miss all the good news!
Yanandu

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm saving all the human, dog and cat poop, sun drying it, and will use for BBQing.

No more charcoal purchases.

:D

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Come on Major, everyone knows you make shoes out of used tires.
Must re-cycle!
Yanandu.

Duct Tape Shoes .... I am merely offering "inexpensive" alternatives to the discerning connoisseur of "the cheap lifestyle". Also, I offer things from easily obtainable materials (Everybody's got Duct tape right!!)

I used to sometimes wear the tire sandals when I "lived" in SE Asia (Viet Nam). I also had a set of "black pajamas" to blend in and "explore" some of the villages at night, as well. Good thing my government taught me the Vietnamese language before I went over. Otherwise, I might not be here now.

Survival lifestyle ... been there, done that!!

;););)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

Yep, I have noticed the same thing.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I'm saving banana peels.

No more toilet paper.

$$$ saved.

1. Plus all that Potassium is good for the rectum. It makes it taut(as Fat Bastard would say in Austin Powers).

2. Watch where you walk. That brings a new definition to slipping on a banana peel.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Yanandu,

I really admire your lifestyle, and I suspect that some others do as well. Your weekly menu (yes, I do like that menu), the nice place to live with A/C, flat-screen TV and pool, transportation at your disposal (moto), plenty of leisure time ... you seem to have it made.

In this thread that you started, there ARE people who are interested in gardening, solar water heating, fish farming, and more. You have such an opportunity to share knowledge on how to live a solid low cost lifestyle. Something many people want to know. I would have thought that you would take a stand in this thread on such things.

I have to tell you though, there are people on this board that are from many places (not all USA), are many shapes sizes and colors. Some are older and MORE experienced at life than you and me. There are people here who live on less than you do, and probably live better. We have people here who volunteer their time, energy and money to people on this entire island. And also live among the people, not just in a tourist area. There is much knowledge ... here. But you have to ask questions and listen in order to know that.

I see in some of your posts, in other threads, about how you think others here live a lifestyle of gluttony. So, I need ask YOU a question. There are millions of people in this world who have much less than YOU. They would consider YOU rich and privileged. YOU eat 3 meals a day, and they are lucky to eat 3 per week. YOU have meat everyday. YOU have a nice residence, with pool, A/C, flat screen TV. For many, this is a luxury. I'll bet YOU even have a refrigerator. And YOU drink clean water ... I could go on. Like ... that rich, powerful country that YOU come from, and the advantages of education that it gave YOU. All of these things might be considered "unfair advantages", by some.

But how can YOU consume so much, when they have so little? What would YOU say to them? Do YOU do anything for them? Do YOU know any of those people? Do YOU really care?

If you think I'm inaccurate about YOU being rich and privileged, and about YOU choosing to have so much when others have so little, and about YOU being exactly what you accuse others of being, I have a suggestion which might help. Shouldn't take much more than a day trip to do this.

I invite you to hop on your moto and head west. just keep heading west ... When you see a couple of customs agents, just wave and say "g'day mate" and continue going west. Shortly after that, you will meet people who may want to have a conversation with YOU about how much YOU have. And about how much YOU consume. I would be interested in your answers to them.

And if you are really serious about the problems in the world, you have the power to make a difference .. starting with YOUR lifestyle, and maybe a little volunteer work. Too much leisure time is not good, my friend!!

Major
:cool:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
This might be a stupid question, but everyone mentions "grande" beers. exactly what size are they? every time I've been to D.R. the beers (bottles) have been the standard 12 oz size (about 354 ml), or else the big ones from the grocery which were maybe? probably? a liter. What is a "grande" at a bar/restaurant?

It's daylight. I have my o2cool fan only burns 10 watts.
Amazon.com: O2-Cool Model 1054 10" Indoor/Outdoor Fan: Home & Garden
Good life here!
Down to the beach soon.
But guys and gals must tell you the good news!
Andy and Erke have opened a new bar / restaurant in LT!
Beer 50 pesos a grande (1 dollar 30 cents ) and excellent food!
( Robert no commercial relationship with them )
Have to be very careful with Robert.
If you have me on ignore you miss all the good news!
Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
I am wary of upsetting people who live very good lives - but quite different to mine. I could maybe adapt to life as a subsistence farmer and take far less out the World. I try to be generous to these people. In my youth I tried to help the people of South Africa by way of political demonstration. Yes, I'm rich and privileged, sure thing.
I bunked much my school and attended university ; just sometimes. But although I had friends who were superb at politics and went on to hold high government office and really reduce poverty etc. somehow my attempts in that direction were not that adept.
Now if I maintain my income and lifestyle I can give back something; maybe not much; for sure. The odd som of money to Red Cross etc. Unfortunately even if I arrive in Haiti with a digger, terrace a mountain, grow food etc. for the local people and recruit appropriate experts that could lead the communities to sustainability there are powerful forces such as US multinationals etc. that promote destitution.
Would I win? Doubtful.
I believe in the idea of 'enlightened self interest' with some reservations. I also look at the missionaries etc. here who though generous often do more harm than good. So I try and tread lightly. Try not to waste money; look after the planet; support local people with my purchases; raise awareness of the DR's problems such as infant mortality.
Immersion in the lives of local people can promote envy and a loss of identity for the people as subtly they become 'westernized' and even I recognize much in the West is decadent ; persuit of big cars, houses, planet destroying practices such as eating large quantities of beef etc. etc. promoted on websites etc. as somehow 'desirable'.
But hopefully I go forward in humility. And have the consolation I do as little harm as possible in life.
Postuminously after 100 years one my ancestors has had his book reprinted. Describes life in British India and the problems of the people there.
The same problems persist - rich and powerful tend to dominate what we can do.
Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
This might be a stupid question, but everyone mentions "grande" beers. exactly what size are they? every time I've been to D.R. the beers (bottles) have been the standard 12 oz size (about 354 ml), or else the big ones from the grocery which were maybe? probably? a liter. What is a "grande" at a bar/restaurant?

About a pint more or less.

Yanandu

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
I am wary of upsetting people who live very good lives - but quite different to mine. I could maybe adapt to life as a subsistence farmer and take far less out the World. I try to be generous to these people. In my youth I tried to help the people of South Africa by way of political demonstration. Yes, I'm rich and privileged, sure thing.
I bunked much my school and attended university ; just sometimes. But although I had friends who were superb at politics and went on to hold high government office and really reduce poverty etc. somehow my attempts in that direction were not that adept.
Now if I maintain my income and lifestyle I can give back something; maybe not much; for sure. The odd som of money to Red Cross etc. Unfortunately even if I arrive in Haiti with a digger, terrace a mountain, grow food etc. for the local people and recruit appropriate experts that could lead the communities to sustainability there are powerful forces such as US multinationals etc. that promote destitution.
Would I win? Doubtful.
I believe in the idea of 'enlightened self interest' with some reservations. I also look at the missionaries etc. here who though generous often do more harm than good. So I try and tread lightly. Try not to waste money; look after the planet; support local people with my purchases; raise awareness of the DR's problems such as infant mortality.
Immersion in the lives of local people can promote envy and a loss of identity for the people as subtly they become 'westernized' and even I recognize much in the West is decadent ; persuit of big cars, houses, planet destroying practices such as eating large quantities of beef etc. etc. promoted on websites etc. as somehow 'desirable'.
But hopefully I go forward in humility. And have the consolation I do as little harm as possible in life.
Postuminously after 100 years one my ancestors has had his book reprinted. Describes life in British India and the problems of the people there.
The same problems persist - rich and powerful tend to dominate what we can do.
Yanandu

" ... if I maintain my income and lifestyle I can give back something..." No different than what others want, and actually do here.

"... there are powerful forces such as US multinationals etc. that promote destitution." DR1 is a website about about the Dominican Republic. Not the USA. Your opinion may receive the welcome it deserves on a US oriented website. There are other websites where one can discuss politics, religion and race ... and they would even welcome your "viewpoints and opinions".

"... I recognize much in the West is decadent ; persuit of big cars, houses, planet destroying practices such as eating large quantities of beef etc. etc. ..." You and I, and many others here, are really not that different in our "relative wealth and consumption". And we, each of us, have our own point of view on how life should be lived. In common, we are all interested in the DR -- not necessarily geopolitical issues. You have traveled the world and you did choose to move here, right??? No one took away YOUR free choice.

" ... Postuminously after 100 years one my ancestors has had his book reprinted. Describes life in British India and the problems of the people there. Wonderful! I would love to read it (I like reading about historical FACT.). But since this IS a website related to things about the DR, I am not asking you to put up a link where I can buy it. (A PM with this info would be nice.)

"The same problems persist - rich and powerful tend to dominate what we can do." True in MANY MANY places ... including in India.

I hope we can continue to focus on living well in the DR ... okay?

Last edited:

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
The vast majority of the information in my posts is about the practical business of living. Is there an economical fan out there?
... Postuminously after 100 years one my ancestors has had his book reprinted. Describes life in British India and the problems of the people there.
I just make the point that the problem of poverty and living among it has persisted through the centuries. There are no easy answers. But to claim that experience in other countries has no bearing on DR - I can't go with that.
I can't go with the idea that our life here is somehow removed from geopolitical issues.
But when say McDonalds sells in DR then there are global issues with this company and relevant to living in the country.
Yes, I see no need to discuss the problems of a small farmer raising wheat in Outer Mongolia.
So, yes I share information on the food I eat, overheads, location etc. hoping it may help others. Also general prices etc.
People can dispute. When I do then I try to make a link to somewhere they can check.
This is about living well and hopefully not consuming in such a way that it overly destroys the planet.
Yanandu

I have no problem with agreeing to differ.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
... But to claim that experience in other countries has no bearing on DR - I can't go with that. (Never said that ...)
I can't go with the idea that our life here is somehow removed from geopolitical issues. (Never said that either... only that there are more appropriate places to discuss US political impact. Many here are already aware of history, and have made their decisions accordingly ...)

... This is about living well and hopefully not consuming in such a way that it overly destroys the planet.
Yanandu

I have no problem with agreeing to differ.

"This is about living well and hopefully not consuming in such a way that it overly destroys the planet." Noble, and I agree. So, let's continue to have a discussion about living well (and inexpensively) ...

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Well I went on a nice trip yesterday on my bike. Actually I have ridden bigger bikes but I enjoy this one just as much.
On really rough roads handles well and during training a long time ago found a smaller bike is easier to manage in in a problem situation.
Sunday may be a time for indulgences.
Invited for a beer at Andy and Elke's new bar. Maybe schnapps as well.
This is about living well and hopefully not consuming in such a way that it overly destroys the planet."
Seem to have found some common ground...... Amazing
Halfway upgrading bedroom insulation.
Yanandu

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
I am looking for ideas to grow sustainable Tilapia growing. We cannot afford for commercial feeds available in the market. Back home we we know some of the alternatives. But I do not know the spanish equivalent for those things. If you have any suggestions it will be more helpful. for
Hi
Has anyone out there tried fish for a living?

Tilapia Farming at Home

On a small scale nearly free supply of fish!

Yanandu