lo que vs. que

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I'm not sure if I understand the difference. Tengo hambre pero no sé lo que quiero comer.

This is a Fluencia sentence that I got wrong because I did not put the "lo" before the que. Why is it needed?

Thanks.

Rob

Sep 22, 2009
I'm not sure if I understand the difference. Tengo hambre pero no sé lo que quiero comer.

This is a Fluencia sentence that I got wrong because I did not put the "lo" before the que. Why is it needed?

Thanks.

Rob
That which I want to eat

Thanks.

Rob

Que can be "than" or many things. Lo is necessary to clarify it's the food you intend to eat. Sort of "that which I wish to eat". Imo.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
That s a good question. I would have said lo que quiero comer as well, but wouldn't know how to explain.

Interestingly, if you remove quiero, i don't think lo is necessary i.e Tengo hambre pero no se que comer....

Marianopolita will chime in soon I am sure.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
When you hear someone start a sentence with Lo que pasa es..." reach for your wallet.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks.

Rob

The Fluencia sentence translates as:

I am hungry but I don’t know what I want to eat.

1) Lo que means ‘what’ when it is not a question (in a relative clause)

2) que = that

3) qué = means what in a direct and indirect question (note the accent on the ‘e’ that means it is a question)

Using Africaida’s example which is grammatically correct but it s/b qué and not que.

No sé qué comer. I don’t know what to eat (an indirect question therefore qué)

The Fluencia sentence and Africaida’s sentence are slightly different.

Last edited:

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The Fluencia sentence translates as:

I am hungry but I don’t know what I want to eat.

1) Lo que means ‘what’ when it is not a question (in a relative clause)

2) que = that

3) qué = means what in a direct and indirect question (note the accent on the ‘e’ that means it is a question)

Using Africaida’s example which is grammatically correct but it s/b qué and not que.

No sé qué comer. I don’t know what to eat (an indirect question therefore qué)

The Fluencia sentence and Africaida’s sentence are slightly different.

Thanks. BTW, how do you do accents on DR1?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Do you use a computer/laptop, tablet or phone and are your items Apple, Android or, for the computer, Windows or the Apple OS?

I can help you with Android or Windows. My Apple days ended when I retired.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

If you are using a desktop computer use the alt key + code. See the link I attached.

If you are using an iPad set your keyboard languages to English and Spanish so you will get the Spanish accents on your keyboard.

I use both options - desktop and iPad.

Last edited: