Local Drivers License

jong

New member
Jan 2, 2002
2
0
0
I was wondering what was the easiest way of obtaining a DR drivers license

Thanks
 

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
3,668
218
0
First, you must have a Residence and Cedula. Banco de Reservas will sell you the forms. You will need a blood test "Type" and take a written test (In spanish). The people are very helpful if you don't understand certain Q's. You are then issued a "Temporary licence". 30 days later you go back for a simple driving test and will be issued a permanent one.
 

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
21,843
188
0
34
yahoomail.com
Eddie says to get a Cedula and a Residencia like they are no big deal,they are a big deal! There is not a big reason that I know of to get a dominican drivers license. I have been driving here for 6 years without one! Been stopped maybe 15 times for varios "offenses" showed my USA<Massachussetts> license and went on my merry way! Why do you feel the "need" to have a dominican license? Criss
 

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
8,216
35
48
www.
If you have a foreign license it will be valid for 90 days. If you go in an out of the country at least every three months, then you have no need to get a Dominican license. If you will be here for more than 90 days you should go through with the process.

Note that there is no need for you to become a Dominican resident (cedula and residencia). What you need to do is go to the corresponding foreign consulate and get a certificate that your driver's license is legal. Then you need to legalize that certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Relations (Cancilleria) on Independencia Avenue. Then you take that to the Direccion General de Transporte Terrestre (DGTT) at the Ministry of Public Works and they will change your foreign license for a Dominican one.

Why bother? If you are involved in a crash, the insurance will not pay as you will be driving illegally. That is if you have been in the country more than 90 days. For more information, call Tel. 565-2811 Ext. 7013
 

Virgil

New member
Jan 2, 2002
1
0
0
Do they (DGTT) KEEP the foreign license??

Dolores: "What you need to do is go to the corresponding foreign consulate and get a certificate that your driver's license is legal. Then you need to legalize that certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Relations (Cancilleria) on Independencia Avenue. Then you take that to the Direccion General de Transporte Terrestre (DGTT) at the Ministry of Public Works and they will change your foreign license for a Dominican one."

"Change your license"???

Does that mean that they (DGTT) KEEP the foreign license when they give you the Dominican one?

That would not be good!

Is this process any different for Dominicans (who have a foreign license) versus foreigners?

__Virgil
 

Marc

New member
Jan 1, 2002
362
0
0
www.haugen.ca
Eddie's way sounds less painful...

Dolores said:
If you have a foreign license it will be valid for 90 days. If you go in an out of the country at least every three months, then you have no need to get a Dominican license. If you will be here for more than 90 days you should go through with the process.

Note that there is no need for you to become a Dominican resident (cedula and residencia). What you need to do is go to the corresponding foreign consulate and get a certificate that your driver's license is legal. Then you need to legalize that certificate at the Ministry of Foreign Relations (Cancilleria) on Independencia Avenue. Then you take that to the Direccion General de Transporte Terrestre (DGTT) at the Ministry of Public Works and they will change your foreign license for a Dominican one.

Why bother? If you are involved in a crash, the insurance will not pay as you will be driving illegally. That is if you have been in the country more than 90 days. For more information, call Tel. 565-2811 Ext. 7013
 

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
2,262
2
0
www.sfmreport.com
Why do people complicate things?

I lived in the DR for 6 years. I now visit many times a year. I have never needed or wanted a DR Drivers license. Just give the Cop a few bucks and be on your way. That is if you stop for a cop!
 

DominicanDean

New member
Jan 3, 2002
2
0
0
No good reason?

Eddy said:
First, you must have a Residence and Cedula. Banco de Reservas will sell you the forms. You will need a blood test "Type" and take a written test (In spanish). The people are very helpful if you don't understand certain Q's. You are then issued a "Temporary licence". 30 days later you go back for a simple driving test and will be issued a permanent one.
No good reason? Well have an accident and when they check your passport and you have been in the country for more than 45 days without a drivers license just see what happens next!
Even if you have insurance it could be a big hassle maybe waiting in jail or if lucky a little 'fine re:bribe' Think about it!
 

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
8,216
35
48
www.
No, at DGTT they will not take your foreign license. That will continue to be valid when you travel abroad. It will also be valid for the first 90 days you are in the DR. Afterwards, the one valid is the Dominican license.
 

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
2,262
2
0
www.sfmreport.com
Why your passport?

DominicanDean,
Why would they check your passport. I never carry mine. When I arrive in SD I lock it up and never touch it until I leave. I know that the "Law" says you must carry it with you at all times but I have never been haassled for not having it. I just explain that it is too Valuable to carry around!
Some people just like to complicate their lives I guess!
 

da_rottweiler

New member
Jan 4, 2002
81
0
0
ezinfocenter.com
Local Driving License

I recently purchased a Legal DR Drivers License.

in Puerto Plata (like most cities) there are certain connected Dominicans whom will actually sell you an Official Drivers License.

I paid RD$1,000 up front,went two days late to the Rentas Internas in Pto Pta,had my photo taken,finger prints taken,left their offices,and in another 45 minutes,paid another RD$1,000,and got my brand new original drivers license.

With this liicense you are more legal then having a cedula !

I have now acquired my own International Credit Card,a Loan to buy my condo, and also a car loan,ALL without having a guarantee !

The number on the Drivers License is the same number as if you had a cedula - but I dont have a cedula,but all the authorities think I do !

Good Hunting !
 

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
2,138
56
0
licenses for sale

If anybody is interested in obtaining a drivers license the easy way, simply get your documentation in order and send me an e-mail. I will give you free instructions on how to get one without ever taking a test. This will all be done inside the DMV office. All legal, and cheap.

TW
 

Paul Thate

New member
Jan 11, 2002
342
0
0
Re: Why do people complicate things?

Tony C said:
I lived in the DR for 6 years. I now visit many times a year. I have never needed or wanted a DR Drivers license. Just give the Cop a few bucks and be on your way. That is if you stop for a cop!
you were lucky during your 6 years
if you had an accident then your insurance company would not have covered you. thats why people bother.
now coming back as a tourist you should be ok.
 

Paul Thate

New member
Jan 11, 2002
342
0
0
Re: licenses for sale

golo said:
If anybody is interested in obtaining a drivers license the easy way, simply get your documentation in order and send me an e-mail. I will give you free instructions on how to get one without ever taking a test. This will all be done inside the DMV office. All legal, and cheap.

TW
when you have your documentation in order then you get it in the DMV for only a few hundred pesos
no problem.
 

Paul Thate

New member
Jan 11, 2002
342
0
0
drivers license

I just did it , no test
excanged my old one for a dominican
You will need to buy 2 forms from the banca de reserva 350 pesos
need a letter from your embassy to authenticate your license
then you need to go the the chancelery to authenticate the
ambassies signature
thats 200 pesos plus another 100 pesos same day service (bribe)
a photo copy of your cedula
a blood test 5 pesos. and an eye test in the DMV ofice another 200 odd peso
and thats all.