Local Volunteers-North Coast (Spending real time vs. $'s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
There have been numerous threads recently about foreign "volunteers" who (according to popular opinion) don't really contribute anything all that useful. (Especially in the long term sense).

I would like to get some recommendations for some valuable and useful volunteer options/programs/ideas locally for an ongoing basis.

I don't have a lot of extra money to contribute, but I do have time, energy and (English)teaching skills. Ideally, I would like to work with children on a volunteer basis on the weekends and evenings whenever possible.

Can anyone recommend anything along these lines on the North Coast?

I have researched and viewed various volunteer programs that you need to pay to be a part of, but this is not what I am looking for. I am looking for something that I do not have to necessarily pay "to be a part of", but somewhere that values and can use some actual volunteer TIME, care and skills.

p.s. I have nothing against contributing some $$'s when I have some extra funds available, but in my current situation I do not at the moment. However I think time, effort and energy offered can be worth just as much as actual $$'s.

dcblue

Jul 21, 2008
Maybe check out the dream project in Cabarete. Although there website talks about paying to volunteer - I think some of the payment is really for food and housing. If you are already in the area (and paying for your own food and housing), I can't imagine they would turn you down. Or at the very least, they could point you in the right direction.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What skilz do you have?

Labor here is abundant.

Skills aren't.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If you are in Las Terrenas, or are willing to relocate there .. I know that the Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi

has summer camps and some ongoing programs and runs a community library. They bring in foreign volunteers, and ask a contribution for those who stay at their house but there are no paid staff so you don't actually pay to volunteer. They also make use of longer term volunteers who come down.
The only drawback is that LT is not a cheap place to live, but, of course, no where on the north coast is a cheap place to live, what am I thinking

any way, they are a good group.... Jose and Annette are dedicated and competent.. Jose is a Professor at the U of MD (distance learning) and Annette also has a Master's degree so they are both really qualified. Jose is Dominican American and moved back here five years ago. Very dedicated to helping the people there.

Just get in touch with them and let them know what you want to do and I am sure that they will find something for you if they can.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I speak, read & write English, French and Spanish. I'm a teacher.

And as mentioned I would really like to work along with kids if possible.

Dcblue, thats for the recommendation, I will check it out when I am down there next week.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Bob - Thanks for the tip I will check it out.

Mountainannie - I am going to be living and working in the Sosua-Cabarete area. But I will contact that foundation you mentioned and see what I can do to help perhaps on some long weekends and take a trip down there! Thanks!

I want to do something that is actually useful in the long term, because I am not wanting to help out to make myself feel better (I already feel good about myself :cheeky: ), rather I want to actually do something valid and useful!

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
If you like animals we can always use an extra hand during busy times at AAAS (Friend of the Animals Sosua)...tom

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We've always wanted to put a list together of where to volunteer in the DR especially for those that live,work or have retired in the DR and would like to give a few hours a day/week.

If members here know of anything like that please fell free to post here.

At one point Christa and I were trying to get such a list together, not sure where that thread went to.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think people are reluctant to put their name to projects at the moment or suggest them , which is a shame, one does tend to get jumped on

whats the view on mustard seed - might be somewhere for you to consider

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Jr I was looking for those links. Dream project is the one I support from time to time, they do good works.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I imagine Dr. Bob could always use a hand with his Dominican Crossroads foundation.
Most of his work is done in the poor Hatian villages behind Montellano called Caraballo, and other locations. Also, once school starts many of the regular public schools have tutoring needs, without "joining" any group or organization, leaving schedules and such up to the volunteer and those they help.

Aug 21, 2007
I am a (previous) teacher and school administrator and I do various volunteer work on an ongoing basis on the North Coast, from private schools to mission projects. I am a bit reluctant to write about such experiences on a public forum because I have positives and negatives to say about each. However, if anyone cares for specific information, feel free to PM me and I can provide some confidential insight.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Wow...thanks everyone for the links and information! I'm sure with all this I will be able to find a few places where I can help on a part time but ongoing basis! Great! :)

I was also thinking along the lines of just finding a few local kids and helping tutor them with English, and even their regular classes.

There is already a little girl I know for whom I am bringing her school supplies for this school year. It's only 1 girl, but I know that for sure makes a difference to her and her family (who literally can't afford new school supplies for her)...plus she will probably have the "coolest" school supplies in her class this year! :)

But I want to make a difference to more than 1 underprivileged child! So thanks again for the links and info!

Lindsey - I will be PMing you in regards to some volunteer work you may be able to suggest to me.

twhitehead - I LOVE LOVE LOVE animals....usually toooo much! I would love to help out animals too, however it would also be extremely extremely difficult for me. In the sense, that I will want to adopt and take care of every stray. I have a very hard time in the DR seeing the way dogs especially are treated :(

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
so does Mr. whitehead and the wife, thus, their 13 dogs!
Good luck with your new children.

Status
Not open for further replies.