Long Term Rental Rates - OMG!

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
We're trying to find an apartment for 4 months starting mid November and wow rates have gone wild. We last stayed in LT for 6 months in 2018 and aside from world prices going crazy, LT is too.
Any ideas for a place within walking distance to the beach and full mosquito screens in the $1k/mo range?

the tradewinds guy

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
We're trying to find an apartment for 4 months starting mid November and wow rates have gone wild. We last stayed in LT for 6 months in 2018 and aside from world prices going crazy, LT is too.
Any ideas for a place within walking distance to the beach and full mosquito screens in the $1k/mo range?

the tradewinds guy
I cannot help you find one in your price range, but I can help explain why the rents are higher. When my house was nearly complete, I got a price on windows and it was around $20,000 USD. Before I signed the agreement I asked if that included mosquito screens. I was informed that it does not include screens, and since they would require a wider frame with an additional track, the price would be $30,000, an additional $10,000!

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

the tradewinds guy
What $ are you using?
You say L.T. but area you would consider?
How many people? Bedrooms needed?
Will you have a vehicle?
What near by activities are you looking for?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I cannot help you find one in your price range, but I can help explain why the rents are higher. When my house was nearly complete, I got a price on windows and it was around $20,000 USD. Before I signed the agreement I asked if that included mosquito screens. I was informed that it does not include screens, and since they would require a wider frame with an additional track, the price would be $30,000, an additional $10,000!
I hope you didn’t believe this..

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
That's not a house - that's a mansion!
A bit off topic but not a mansion. My in-laws home comes in around the same and it was approx $8900.00. Sliding door x 2, 2 screens each, 14 windows (a couple different size ones), front and back doors. Patio was extra but do not remember the cost. Unfortunately for the renter, owners have raised prices which during these times is no surprise. Some friends of ours have a couple of rentals, Punta Cana and Samana. They have raised their rents also. Long term for them is anything over 6 mos.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Go price out 6 sliding glass doors, 3 entrance doors, and 17 windows, painted aluminum, double pane laminated, installed, with screens.
Nice my man…you said Windows 20gs screens extra 10gs that’s out of whack..

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Nice my man…you said Windows 20gs screens extra 10gs that’s out of whack..
I was shocked as well, however when you add screens, it is a totally different frame. When it is just a window, you need two tracks. When you add screens, you have three tracks, which is much larger and heavier. Plus the cost of making all the screens. I priced 6 similar sliding glass doors here in the US, and your are looking at $9000 for those alone, without installation.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
That's not a house - that's a mansion!
Not really. About 2500 sq ft. I designed it like a T so that every room in the house has a nice view of the ocean (except two baths). It has quite a few windows. Now that battle is with my wife about curtains. She is shocked about the price of curtains. I said we are on top of the mountain, facing the ocean, why do we need curtains? Who is going to look inside the house?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Not really. About 2500 sq ft. I designed it like a T so that every room in the house has a nice view of the ocean (except two baths). It ohas quite a few windows. Now that battle is with my wife about curtains. She is shocked about the price of curtains. I said we are on top of the mountain, facing the ocean, why do we need curtains? Who is going to look inside the house?
Not really. About 2500 sq ft. I designed it like a T so that every room in the house has a nice view of the ocean (except two baths). It has quite a few windows. Now that battle is with my wife about curtains. She is shocked about the price of curtains. I said we are on top of the mountain, facing the ocean, why do we need curtains? Who is going to look inside the house?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Note he also said "Double pane" doors. Big bucks.
I get it.. originally he didn’t mention double pain or doors just windows..and $10,000 more for screens that’s what set my alarm bells off .. over 35 yrs in the window and door manufacturing and the cheapest part of all the window to cost 33% more I felt someone taking a run at him.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Go price out 6 sliding glass doors, 3 entrance doors, and 17 windows, painted aluminum, double pane laminated, installed, with screens.
I get it Reilly ..you didn’t mention the 6 patio doors and entrance plus laminated double pane , just windows and that screens was 10gs extra that to me was excessive.

Reactions: reilleyp

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
But I won't recommend those guys they ended up doing the job using my tools...
I tore down the old windows by my self.
I found a small windows shop in El Barrio Haiti PP.

JJ

Reactions: reilleyp