Long Term Rental Rates - OMG!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We're trying to find an apartment for 4 months starting mid November and wow rates have gone wild. We last stayed in LT for 6 months in 2018 and aside from world prices going crazy, LT is too.
Any ideas for a place within walking distance to the beach and full mosquito screens in the $1k/mo range?

the tradewinds guy
How did you all get from this op to cost of you putting in windows?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How did you all get from this op to cost of you putting in windows?
Easy.
The OP is commenting about how high the rental costs are for an apartment with screens, and everyone else it providing reasons why the rent is so high.

Reactions: keepcoming

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I cannot help you find one in your price range, but I can help explain why the rents are higher. When my house was nearly complete, I got a price on windows and it was around $20,000 USD. Before I signed the agreement I asked if that included mosquito screens. I was informed that it does not include screens, and since they would require a wider frame with an additional track, the price would be $30,000, an additional $10,000!

I think they saw you coming

Reactions: RDKNIGHT

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I was shocked as well, however when you add screens, it is a totally different frame. When it is just a window, you need two tracks. When you add screens, you have three tracks, which is much larger and heavier. Plus the cost of making all the screens. I priced 6 similar sliding glass doors here in the US, and your are looking at $9000 for those alone, without installation.

They make screens which can be attached to existing frames and made to look exactly the same colour. I had a quote for two patio doors and it was under $700 for the two fitted. I was also.told by my guys this was too much.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Probably prices will drop now after the storm, heard it causes a lot of damage in the Samaná bay.

JJ

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
Thanks for all the inputs. The inflation shock seems to be everywhere. I ordered a geothermal heat pump for a client, now $9500, was $6400.

Is the cost of buying an apartment rising the same extent?

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
What $ are you using?
You say L.T. but area you would consider?
How many people? Bedrooms needed?
Will you have a vehicle?
What near by activities are you looking for?
$USD, 2 people, 1 or 2 bedrooms (for guests), no vehicle just renting scooters to explore, no activities needed, we're retired and can do absolutely nothing for 4 months, My last trip was 2018 for 6 months and loved doing very little.

Reactions: DR Solar

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for all the inputs. The inflation shock seems to be everywhere. I ordered a geothermal heat pump for a client, now $9500, was $6400.

It sure seems like it. I can't believe some of the prices people are asking for N.C. apartments that used to go for 50K (or less) a few years ago.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think the way it will happen is that the AirBnB's will start to be empty (this is already happening in the capital) and the numbers won't work. So these places will go for long-term rental or sale, and that will drive down the prices.

I'm seeing quite a lot of businesses struggling at the moment. Supermercado Nacional has pretty much everything on special offer, I've never seen so many bits of yellow paper.

Reactions: slowmo and bachata

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I think the way it will happen is that the AirBnB's will start to be empty (this is already happening in the capital) and the numbers won't work. So these places will go for long-term rental or sale, and that will drive down the prices.

I'm seeing quite a lot of businesses struggling at the moment. Supermercado Nacional has pretty much everything on special offer, I've never seen so many bits of yellow paper.
Use to think that way but if those air bnb didn't go bankrupt join the covid-19 pandemic I wont happen now.....Just my opinion

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We're trying to find an apartment for 4 months starting mid November and wow rates have gone wild. We last stayed in LT for 6 months in 2018 and aside from world prices going crazy, LT is too.
Any ideas for a place within walking distance to the beach and full mosquito screens in the $1k/mo range?

the tradewinds guy
If you want to look at another area try Playa Palmera in Uvero Alto. It's a newer development with 4 or 5 restaurants, a grocery store, gym, helipad, kids playground and about 150 to 200 yards to the beach on a private road. It's between Excellence El Carmen and Grand Sirenes Hotel. The downside is you are a half hour to Bavaro and big supermarkets.
The website is playapalmera.do
Good luck with your search. I posted 2 enquiries earlier this year looking for a 5 to 6 month and got 0 responses. At least you are getting some good advice for windows, doors and general renovations 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Tradewinds

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We rented last year in El Corticito (Bavaro area) for 1,000 usd per month. Nice apartment, 2 bdrm, pool, 3 minute walk to beach and lots of good restaurants within walking distance. This year they want 1500 for the same apartment. Another we looked at was 750 last year and he wants 1800 this year. both are still available. I hope with their greed they sit empty like they were during most of covid.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Use to think that way but if those air bnb didn't go bankrupt join the covid-19 pandemic I wont happen now.....Just my opinion
People was using stimulus money for vacations... Just my opinion!

JJ

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
It sure seems like it. I can't believe some of the prices people are asking for N.C. apartments that used to go for 50K (or less) a few years ago.
One bedroom apartments that were $800 per month in March are presently listed at $2500. NC. No joke.

Must be some gold plated windows.

Digital nomads are driving up prices too and it’s changing the market significantly.

Tug7777

Mar 17, 2018
People was using stimulus money for vacations... Just my opinion!

JJ
For sure Good luck finding an Apartment in sosua for Dec Jan Feb March for $600 most of the short term Apartments booked or sold out Probably be a big reset next slow season with the stock market going down and world wide energy prices skyrocketing !

Reactions: bachata

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
One bedroom apartments that were $800 per month in March are presently listed at $2500. NC. No joke.

Must be some gold plated windows.

Digital nomads are driving up prices too and it’s changing the market significantly.
The people who join the FB DR expat groups are partly to blame. I can't tell you how many times I've seen somebody post "Looking for an apartment for 2 months. My budget is 2K a month."

You can hear the "realtors" jumping on those folks.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

Yes, prices have risen. The cost of building materials has gone up significantly, so all the new builds have put up their prices. The new builds were pushing down prices before - so much more supply coming onto the market, so prices lower. As they have increased their prices, it has pulled up prices for older properties too.