"LOOK OUT!" DR1ers,""IT's" Coming! What's Ahead In The 12 Months???????

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Sure babies are expensive plus daycare no problem
I dont think thats the case with the OP?
manu

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I think it is so funny when people that don't have a simple clue about economics, think are able to predict the future of a country. The only thing that could hinder DR tremendously is the PRD taking over as it has been proven in the past. The PLD seems to be the only political party that is interested in the future of the country. Many of you forget that not more than about a year and a half ago the DR was praised by the The World Bank?s International Financial Corporation report, as one of the world?s top 10 reformer nations, and nothing has changed since then.

The PRD has done nothing for the country but to help themselves ever since Jorge Blanco which is why they call the PLD party " Los come solos" because the PLD prevent them from getting rich through corruptions. While it may be true that there is some degrees of corruption in the current governing party, at least the country infrastructure is improving, I think it is funny how ignorant foreigns and dominicans want to criticize Leonel and make fun of him cutting when cutting ribbons as if inaugurations are a bad thing.

I am tired of people saying, why spend money building a highway, a metro or a monument when you can feed the poor or sepnd it on schools? IMO, this is the poor mentality that will never help a country succeed. These are the people that would most likely criticize me for buying a hungry family a fishing rod instead of buying fish to eat.

I also recall some of you saying that you spend $2000.00 USD per month to try to live the similar lifestyle you had in the US then complain about the DR being just as expensive as living in the states. I think that is BC because there is no way you could live a middle class life in the US just spending 2000.00 USD per month.

I agree with most of your post... but do not know if the PLD would win any awards for lack of corruption.. perhaps in comparison to the PRD... but both seem to be pretty corrupt to me.. but I do not vote here.

I am a supporter of highway construction and the Metro but really believe that the DR MUST increase its spending on education or it is not going to be able to hold its own in the globalized world.

And I can easily spend $4000 or $4500 (if I had it) on ONE here.. just that I do not have to!!

I would be living in misery on my income in the US... and there is NO way that I ever said that life here was as expensive as the STates.

Dining out and electricity are the only two things here that I have found are more expensive than the States.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Dining out and electricity are the only two things here that I have found are more expensive than the States.
MA, any product or service has two basic components, materials and labor, and they come from two places: internal and external.

Think of the needs and wants in living in the DR as this matrix:

Material intensive, internal: inexpensive
Material intensive, external: expensive
Labor intensive, internal: inexpensive
Labor intensive, external: expensive

Labor and material, internal: very inexpensive (domestic product)
Labor and material, external: very inexpensive (imported product)

When labor is internal and material is external, the cost may vary such as steel products made in the DR. The steel and machine tools are exported, the labor is local.

I'm not aware of many, if any, products/services made with internal materials and external labor.

So if one lives with products and services primarily from internal sources the cost of living can be very, very modest. It gets more expensive the more foreign goods and seevices one requires.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Dining out can often be much cheaper than USA. USA typically now $100 per head.

Very sensible -eat good local food, buy local furniture, get a kitchen made not imported and its not expensive.

Motorcycles are cheaper than USA and imported start at about 800/900 dollars.

Medicines, generic are much cheaper than US; even if not manufactured in DR.

'Luxury' items attract luxury tax so a big new SUV will be twice the price of US.

Government has to get its money somehow!

Yanandu

MA, any product or service has two basic components, materials and labor, and they come from two places: internal and external.

Think of the needs and wants in living in the DR as this matrix:

Material intensive, internal: inexpensive
Material intensive, external: expensive
Labor intensive, internal: inexpensive
Labor intensive, external: expensive

Labor and material, internal: very inexpensive (domestic product)
Labor and material, external: very inexpensive (imported product)

When labor is internal and material is external, the cost may vary such as steel products made in the DR. The steel and machine tools are exported, the labor is local.

I'm not aware of many, if any, products/services made with internal materials and external labor.

So if one lives with products and services primarily from internal sources the cost of living can be very, very modest. It gets more expensive the more foreign goods and seevices one requires.

siegs

May 9, 2006
Dining out can often be much cheaper than USA. USA typically now $100 per head.

Whaaaaaaaaaat??? 100 dollars to eat out???
Where the he!! is my ignore button.
Rediculous.
All you can eat fried perch this Friday for 9 bux.
Get a grip. And where is that button.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Siegs is right ! Even in New Yorker standarts 100 per head is expensive !
You could eat in a very good restaurant for 30-50 dollars a head !

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Whaaaaaaaaaat??? 100 dollars to eat out???
Where the he!! is my ignore button.
Rediculous.
All you can eat fried perch this Friday for 9 bux.
Get a grip. And where is that button.

Decent chain restaurant dinner menu:

http://mccormickandschmicks.com/menus/0076-McCormick-Schmicks-Seafood-Crystal-City-VA/Dinner.pdf

Not a great restaurant, just decent. Figure in a 15% tip and after dinner for two you won't have enough left of your Benjamin for a ride home on the subway.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Greydead,

Yannadu said $100USD per person. M&S is about $100 for two, that includes at least three courses and decent wine. Also, NYC-level pricing may be a bit different from what we pay here in ATL (closer to $70).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have never been to the states but my friend lives in chicago and she tells me she often goes out with two for one coupons from magazines and whatever other special offers. even if not she pays around 10 bucks a head and takes home two doggie bags - apparently portion size is proportionate to the size of citizens ;)

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Greydead,

Yannadu said $100USD per person. M&S is about $100 for two, that includes at least three courses and decent wine. Also, NYC-level pricing may be a bit different from what we pay here in ATL (closer to $70).

Yeah, $100/pp is eating rather high on the hog. I must weigh in that at some of the better restaurants where I've eaten in Santo Domingo there isn't a noticeable price difference from the equivalent restaurants in major US cities. Extravagences are going to seem overpriced no matter where in the World we go. That's why they call them that.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Doggie bag brigade shouts out:

Starter / appertif $20

Main $35.

Sweet $15.

Wine $20 per person

Tips and charges: 15$

( all per person )

From this menu.

$100 dollar no/yes ?

Yanandy

Decent chain restaurant dinner menu:

http://mccormickandschmicks.com/menus/0076-McCormick-Schmicks-Seafood-Crystal-City-VA/Dinner.pdf

Not a great restaurant, just decent. Figure in a 15% tip and after dinner for two you won't have enough left of your Benjamin for a ride home on the subway.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
15 $ for a piece of pie?????

Not in BOSTON!!!!
IT is hard to compare restaurants in different countries,and useless!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC