Looking for a 1-2 Terrabyte backup drive

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
I have used Tiger Direct and TransExpress/Vimenca as a forwarder without a problem. TransExpress is cheaper and faster than the others with my getting my shipments 2 days after they arrive in Florida.
Are you using a VPN when ordering online?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
No, I have not. I answered this a few posts ago. You must have missed it.

Any way for someone living in Cabarete to buy from them other than a road-trip? I would like to buy locally, but it has to be first quality. So far, I have regretted technology purchases within the DR.

They have stores in Puerto Plata and Santiago.

PUERTO PLATA
Calle Camino Real No. 41
Esq. Teresa Suarez, P. Plata
Tel?fono: 809 261 9393

SANTIAGO
C/Transversal No.14
Los Jardines, Santiago
Tel?fono: 809 971 8383

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
They have stores in Puerto Plata and Santiago.

PUERTO PLATA
Calle Camino Real No. 41
Esq. Teresa Suarez, P. Plata
Tel?fono: 809 261 9393
Robert,
Thanks for this information. Puerto Plata is fine. If they can meet our needs, I would be very pleased to give them our business.

Do you happen to know if anyone there speaks English or do they have a website where I could see what they offer?

What do you know about them which causes you to believe they sell first quality merchandise?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert,
Thanks for this information. Puerto Plata is fine. If they can meet our needs, I would be very pleased to give them our business.

Do you happen to know if anyone there speaks English or do they have a website where I could see what they offer?

What do you know about them which causes you to believe they sell first quality merchandise?

Pick up the phone and call them.

They are the largest wholesaler in the DR, they move a few million US$ per month.
I know the owner, have brought a bunch of stuff from them, they have great pricing and never heard a bad word against them.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
How do you get the item in Santo Domingo shipped to the north coast?

Contact the seller and ask if he is willing to ship it via Caribe tours. I've done biz this way here. I bought a used Mackie M-1400i amp for RD$ 10,000 from a seller in Santiago, I'm in SD. The seller gave me his Popular bank account number and I deposited RD$10,200 (or 10,250 I don't recall) to the seller's account. The next day he called me up to give me a Caribe Tours ref # of the package he sent. He told me to pick it up after 2pm. I went to 27 Febrero & Leopordo Navaro at around 3pm and pick up my Mackie Amp. It was in great condition and had never been repaired as the seller stated. I admit I took a chance and was lucky it paid off for me. I confess that I wasn't 100% confident on the deal or the seller. Basically, I looked at the whole thing as a gamble sometimes you lose other times you win. Thank goodness all worked out well for me. You are welcome to try buying items that way from emarket.com.do or la pulga.com.do but your mileage might vary.

NotLurking

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Tiger Direct don't ship to mail forwarding addresses, they called me up and said my address is mail forwarding address we're not shipping. I bought my stuff somewhere else. No big deal.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Re Omega Tech, I'm going there tomorrow, waiting until AFTER Samana Santa to be over and done with traffic wise - lol. Will send in report.
Karlheinz

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
I want to check prices locally and then compare with US purchase. Between the taxes and RD$200/lb. EPS charges I thought it might be actually cheaper to purchase here if good quality. I'll check the OmegaTech - thanks
Karlheinz

Hard drive with packaging would most likely be around 2 pounds. And gee...is still anybody using EPS with their 200-per-pound pricing? Man, there ARE cheaper and equally reliable options. I dropped EPS three years ago.

Feb 7, 2007
Donno I would opt to by it here.

Western Digital WDBACW0010HBK-NESN My Book Essential External Hard Drive - 1TB, USB 3.0 at TigerDirect.com
Tigerdirect excluding shipping WD external 1T USB 3.0/2.0 = US$109.99 = RD$4289.61

Disco Duro Externo 1 Tera WD USB 3-0 NEGRO Nuevo - eMarket.do
WD external 1T USB 3.0/2.0 = RD$4200 = US$107.69

NotLurking

Not same products. The DR auctioner is selling MyPassport, as per image, which is USB powerd.

I did have a MyPassport failure (500 GB) after a year and 2 months (7% of sectors with permanent delay, thus unusable). Have not dropped the drive or anything.