Looking For A Local Family to Stay With on Semana Santa

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
While the plan might be a little far fetched... it's not out of the ball park. Yes.. You'd be a tourist... so what???? If by some twist of fate you should find a willing family.. Toss in some greenbacks to bring a little extra cheer to the holiday and go for it!!! I have welcomed people from other countries to my Thanksgiving Dinner in the past.. and we've all gained from the experience. I find the Dominican people to be outgoing and friendly. NO.. I'm NOT naive.. there is usually a monetary connection... but who cares? It's no skin off my back to contribute something.. and I'm not trying to buy friends... I'm trying to gain an experience. Who knows... you might just get lucky enough to learn something about a foreign culture. good luck... but BE CAREFUL.

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Mofongoloco, I guess it is just all about the timing and the way it happens. We have had those same experiences and I have also had strangers over for holidays, usually after learning enough about them to where my "spidey sense" doesn't go off. Is this a risk? Absolutely. I am talking about a "stranger" whom have had lengthy conversations with and not a random person off of the street. I get that people won't just invite a tourist in. What a fond memory you must have of that risk, stupid or not.

I also get that it is a different time now, and sometimes I like to think that people (mostly) are good. I know this is not the case, and I need to remember that not everyone is open to such risk. I just really enjoy learning about others and how their lives are. There is so much in this world beyond little me in the US and my family. This is why we are not staying at an all inclusive resort. :classic:

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
Mofongoloco, I guess it is just all about the timing and the way it happens. We have had those same experiences and I have also had strangers over for holidays, usually after learning enough about them to where my "spidey sense" doesn't go off. Is this a risk? Absolutely. I am talking about a "stranger" whom have had lengthy conversations with and not a random person off of the street. I get that people won't just invite a tourist in. What a fond memory you must have of that risk, stupid or not.

I also get that it is a different time now, and sometimes I like to think that people (mostly) are good. I know this is not the case, and I need to remember that not everyone is open to such risk. I just really enjoy learning about others and how their lives are. There is so much in this world beyond little me in the US and my family. This is why we are not staying at an all inclusive resort. :classic:

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
While the plan might be a little far fetched... it's not out of the ball park. Yes.. You'd be a tourist... so what???? If by some twist of fate you should find a willing family.. Toss in some greenbacks to bring a little extra cheer to the holiday and go for it!!! I have welcomed people from other countries to my Thanksgiving Dinner in the past.. and we've all gained from the experience. I find the Dominican people to be outgoing and friendly. NO.. I'm NOT naive.. there is usually a monetary connection... but who cares? It's no skin off my back to contribute something.. and I'm not trying to buy friends... I'm trying to gain an experience. Who knows... you might just get lucky enough to learn something about a foreign culture. good luck... but BE CAREFUL.

Thanks so much CaptnGlenn--we will see how the weekend pans out. I am guessing we will be witnessing a lot of families on the beach having their annual holiday and bbq's and beer. I am chatty (go figure), so usually I meet others when I travel. Isn't that the point of seeing a different place? Maybe my post wasn't so PC, but I'm getting some really good thoughts here. I think we will observe and if the timing works out, then we will partake in some beers and food. I will be more careful however after talking to most of you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i assure you that semana santa in DR is boring as fcuk, just like it is in any other part of the world. it's all about lots of alcohol, lots of food and lots of noise. there is NOTHING to it. it's exactly the same as a long weekend, only more so. i avoid leaving home like a plague. streets are full of drunks so driving requires extra care. shops are closed. nothing to do but to spend time with family. which alone is worse than a trip to gulag.

Brookelemongotsoul

Mar 12, 2015
i assure you that semana santa in DR is boring as fcuk, just like it is in any other part of the world. it's all about lots of alcohol, lots of food and lots of noise. there is NOTHING to it. it's exactly the same as a long weekend, only more so. i avoid leaving home like a plague. streets are full of drunks so driving requires extra care. shops are closed. nothing to do but to spend time with family. which alone is worse than a trip to gulag.

Well sounds like my ship has sailed. Maybe I will take an ambien and go to bed early. Or boil a pot of spaghetti and some bleach in the water and call it good. ha. Or I can make Habichuelas con Dulce and no one with me will know if I have screwed up or not!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
OP your idea was good, just worded a bit off. I wish things were the way I remember years ago. Back in the day I spent time with families who felt "sorry" for me..gringa alone on certain holidays (spouse worked out of country). Those were some of the best times I had. While I had in-laws, sometimes I wanted something different. I agree with some, go to the beach with food and beverages (adult kind also) and you will be surprised how many "friends" you encounter. Enjoy...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

I knew it.
DV is the typical Family Girlie, doing the kittchen with the MIL together i guess, lol.

Mike

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love it when people ask about holiday traditions in DR. what do you expect? that at midnight everyone gathers nekkid in a barn and in the darkness unspeakable things happen? nope. well, yes, if you rent a villa in sosua. but otherwise holidays here are just the same crap you are trying to escape from in your home country. the same boredom, overeating and family obligations.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
naaaa, looks like we have different family experiences, haha.
i always enjoy the gatherings for family fests with my sitas and parents in germany, the same we always have unboring fun together with the family here in the DR on such weekends.
overeating and drinking? YES! but we do that anyways when we come together even just for a normal sunday afternoon on the beach.

Mike

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
naaaa, looks like we have different family experiences, haha.
i always enjoy the gatherings for family fests with my sitas and parents in germany, the same we always have unboring fun together with the family here in the DR on such weekends.
overeating and drinking? YES! but we do that anyways when we come together even just for a normal sunday afternoon on the beach.

Mike

I agree with you Mike, I'm a family get-together person.

We're always here Semana Santa, and always have a lot of company, because we live near the beach. When Mr. AE was young/single, he would go to the beach on Palm Sunday with a tent and spend the entire week there with friends and family. I'm not the tent type [that's putting it mildly], so we'd day-trip it that week before we built the house.

A couple of years that we weren't in DR for Semana Santa, our house was like something out of Animal House, people sleeping on floors, outside on the marquesina, etc. - the brothers and their entire families, and a couple of cousins thrown in. Since then, we make it our business to be here that week :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am very anti-family. friends are far more important to me, maybe because i chose them. family is just a bunch of accidental people i happen to be related to. back home i flat out refused to have anything to do with them. here i have migraines.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WilliamWebster--Thanks, that means a lot and is a good point. Family time (and vacation time for that matter) are sacred in most cultures, so I should respect theirs. I think we shall be observers and like you said, if we happen to meet anyone local to toast with, so be it. We will also be with our own family, so will be spending that time together as well. Again, this is a great fourm. It is sure tough love, but in a good way. No complaints!

Glad to see you are taking the responses well. Easter is a time I do not like going to the beach. After you do, please let us know what you think about it. A scene from Animal House really rings true.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I always like reading about the death count, the more exotic the better. Like the intoxicated fool who climbs up the power lines and electrocutes himself. Or the inevitable moto that kills himself and 2 passengers by slamming into wall that has been there for 200 years. Not to be outdone by the guy who crashes his car into a colmado only to be beaten to death by the owner.
Its not a good week to need a trauma surgeon.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you said you rent a appartment in Bavaro, so i would assume you rent somewhere in the wide Condominium filled El Cortecito Area, right? while you have some smaller beach areas there for the condominium renters to place a lounger or their towel, it is not overlyused by locals, pecially not for celebrations of holiday weekends, as in that touristy area they are too closely watched by authorities, not allowed to bring some music or put a BBQ right on the beach.
to mingle you need to visit Macao Beach or Cabeza de Toro. Macao is the one that fills up to the maximum and will provide with the experience you are looking for. Cabeza de Toro was the same before it started to get restricted by space, most of cabeza de Toro's prior wide public beach space is closed for the public to bring a BBQ and coolers, here you need to look towards the right end of the beach(face water turn right), close to the big pier of the animal park with it's Dolphin counters, past the pier of the Marinarium Tour.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I always like reading about the death count, the more exotic the better. Like the intoxicated fool who climbs up the power lines and electrocutes himself. Or the inevitable moto that kills himself and 2 passengers by slamming into wall that has been there for 200 years. Not to be outdone by the guy who crashes his car into a colmado only to be beaten to death by the owner.
Its not a good week to need a trauma surgeon.

exactly the same as it is in so called first world countries. in the US you find also that increased number of ocurances/accidents, teenagers driving drunk and intoxicated, just watch the short stretch from Moab/Utah (yeah, no alc) down south to the first Gas Station over the stateline.
over long holiday weekends around the globe people eat and drink and abuse drugs well more than they do on a normal labour weekday, hence many more stupid accidents and deaths happen.
the DR is no exceptionof that behavior, but it is sure not something that just happens here on this Isle.

Mike

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I pretty sure this thread is about the Dominican week of Easter. Not October-fest