Looking for a quiet living area in Sto Dgo

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
There perhaps but the in and out traffic to downtown SD is nearly insane.
Maybe the fact that i am travelling down from nyc .....i dont find the traffic as bad as others might ...but i do enjoy sitting on my balcony and reading a book ...without listening to booming noise

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Come on guys to live in Bella Vista you are talking at least 1000 US a month. In the tower I live in the maintenance is 400.dollars a month. No way you're getting anything upscale for 20000 pesos a month.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
What exactly do you mean by 'quiet'? Quiet area is one thing, but don't forget about noise from neighbors. When you live in a tower with 30+ apartments, if you have just one idiot with a big subwoofer in one of the apartments, the whole tower listens to it, because in all these modern buildings you can hear how somebody sneezes three floors downstairs from you.

So if fighting with neighbors is not on your list of hobbies, try to find something in an older building with less apartments and with all interior walls made of blocks, not styrofoam panels. Older condos with older people is a rare find now, but they exist.
Very good remark! This is exactly the situation I am living here in LT, so I'll have to be very cautious if/when I make a move.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
i have an apartment in urbanization real for the last 5 years ....and find it very quiet ...a colmado across the street with zero noise from it .
i am very happy with the area
In the spirit of getting a better understanding, how much is your rent there?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
$800 USD in Santo Domingo would be tough.
$800 USD in Santiago (not that you're looking) you'd have no problem finding what you are looking for.
That might be somethig to consider. I used to study in Santiago, a long time ago, I kinda never looked back...

Reactions: CristoRey

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Thanks, I'll look into it. Seems like traffic is the worst. As of rentals, do you think 20K pesos/month would be enough for a decent place in the above mentioned areas?
Nope. Having said this; landlords/estate agents also only want US$ or EUR, and at least 2 months deposit.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Bella vista is great! Many quiet places but as others said it is expensive. I like Gazcue. It's very quiet in many places. I happened to live by a busy street and the traffic can get loud but it's not bothersome. There are some places you can get a two-bedroom for 30-35k. The capital is really a place you have to pay to get what you want. You can pay less to live on the outskirts at the expense of accessibility to other parts of town during the day/early evening.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
That might be somethig to consider. I used to study in Santiago, a long time ago, I kinda never looked back...
I've lived in both the National District and the Eastside. I kinda never loocked back either.
Quality of life here in Santiago is much better in my opinion.

Reactions: bob saunders

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Bella vista is great! Many quiet places but as others said it is expensive. I like Gazcue. It's very quiet in many places. I happened to live by a busy street and the traffic can get loud but it's not bothersome. There are some places you can get a two-bedroom for 30-35k. The capital is really a place you have to pay to get what you want. You can pay less to live on the outskirts at the expense of accessibility to other parts of town during the day/early evening.
Gazcue was the only neighborhood that came to mind when reading OP but I've no idea what it cost to live there.

Reactions: mountainannie

Liberator

Luck is for the unprepared
Jan 23, 2021
Europe
Gazcue was the only neighborhood that came to mind when reading OP but I've no idea what it cost to live there.
Live is good in Gazcue :cool:
I can confirm that. Rental prices? For a bit of comfort you can also 'lose' US$ 1,000 per month easily.
There isn't that much for rent, by the way, if I quickly search on various sites.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Live is good in Gazcue :cool:
I can confirm that. Rental prices? For a bit of comfort you can also 'lose' US$ 1,000 per month easily.
There isn't that much for rent, by the way, if I quickly search on various sites.

By way of comparison, when I retired in 2018, I was paying $725/month in Tucson AZ for a 1400 sq ft duplex. It had central air, w/d, dishwasher, and a huge bathroom. I doubt I could get that anywhere in SD now.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've lived in both the National District and the Eastside. I kinda never loocked back either.
Quality of life here in Santiago is much better in my opinion.
I've lived all over. San Pedro, Boca Chica, Santiago, Puerto Plata, SD east (5 different areas) SD north, SD west and now San Cristobal.

Colinas del Oeste is one of the best I've rented in. (Santiago a close second) I owned a house in Cuesta Brava that I wish I still had too.

Super quiet is an understatement and minutes to the center of the city.

My rent there was 18k a month when I moved in and 25K when I left 8 years later.

That area really deserves a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squat and CristoRey

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
One thing I suggest no matter where you end up looking is to check out the area in the morning, afternoon, and evening, both week days and weekends. If there is a colmado nearby be careful of loud music at times. If it is a busy street be aware there is a likelihood of lots of blaring horns during high traffic times. Unfortunately I learned these things the hard way.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
When you have a school in your neighbourhood, don't rent, if there a green area near your home, don't rent, a basketballfield, don't rent, ohh I'm on my way now....
The only thing you don't know before renting is how good or bad your neighbours do.
In my post #18 all Apartments are in a range of 20-25K Pesos, sure they are not luxury, but most of them are in the DN.

Reactions: Squat

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Jardines del Norte (area below the 'Jardin Botanico') is also quiet, e.g. the street of tennis club 'La Bola'.
But count on around 1.000 USD / month.
And some important things to consider (already mentioned earlier):
  • owner will try to let you pay in USD
  • noise of neighbours could indeed be a problem everywhere.
    If the apartment has a good functioning 'owners association' these problems could be possibly less (due to some social control).
  • check indeed noise level on different moments of day / night.

Reactions: Squat

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reactions: CristoRey and Squat

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you all, I am definitely learning a lot from your experiences. BTW, those mentioning Santiago, which area would you recommend?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
A little OT, but in what area do you live in LT?

I thought Squat had children....I could be mistaking of course, but it could be influence which areas he chooses to live.

@Squat: Have you looked into other areas in LT or in the outskirt ? I know noise has been a problem in quite a few areas though, but some seem to be doing just fine.