Looking for a quiet living area in Sto Dgo

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I've lived in both. Owned a house in Cuesta Brava and still kicking myself in the butt for selling it but the money was too good to turn down. The traffic back and forth to work every day was the only reason I let it go. There's also a good but expensive school at the entrance.

I rented in Costa Verde for 3 years and I'd love to go back.

Costa Azul next door is pretty nice too.

Reactions: bob saunders

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Maybe the fact that i am travelling down from nyc .....i dont find the traffic as bad as others might ...but i do enjoy sitting on my balcony and reading a book ...without listening to booming noise

This ain't Kansas bud. Trust me, that traffic in Jacobo Majluta or anywhere near Ciudad Nueva will drive you nuts!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I thought Squat had children....I could be mistaking of course, but it could be influence which areas he chooses to live.

@Squat: Have you looked into other areas in LT or in the outskirt ? I know noise has been a problem in quite a few areas though, but some seem to be doing just fine.

I don't trust LT anymore, or any touristic area, as this is now the place for city folks to come party & unwind. My experience is that one gets away from the noise, but the noise eventually chases you just the same. I'm exploring other alternatives, still not decided what to do, but staying in LT will only makes it worst, as it is basically morphing into a big party town.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
Live is good in Gazcue :cool:
I can confirm that. Rental prices? For a bit of comfort you can also 'lose' US$ 1,000 per month easily.
There isn't that much for rent, by the way, if I quickly search on various sites.
I enjoy it! As far as looking for apartments, I still recommend people go physically around the neighborhoods and call the numbers on the signs. Much better deals than what you see online at times.
I pay 530 for a 1 bedroom in a newer building. 8th floor. Ocean in the back mountains in the front. However, this was the price i locked in a few years ago and I know it much more expensive now. There isn't anything comparable near where I live for less than 750-800.

Reactions: Squat

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I don't trust LT anymore, or any touristic area, as this is now the place for city folks to come party & unwind. My experience is that one gets away from the noise, but the noise eventually chases you just the same. I'm exploring other alternatives, still not decided what to do, but staying in LT will only makes it worst, as it is basically morphing into a big party town.

I understand, I have seen the changes since COVID. Although, I am not quite sure, those changes are here to stay. It is becoming a party town in certain areas on one hand, but many remote workers have recently relocated on the other hand.

I am in LT myself (not as long as you have been obviously), I was never kept up at night by a noisy neighbor or party, but all my neighbors live/work here full time with children.

I am also aware that all it takes is 1 absentee neighbor turning his house into a rental discoteca and it can become a living hell. Finding a long term rental has become a pain, everyone wants to make a quick buck with city folks and prices have become ridiculous.

Hope you find you piece of quiet.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Very interesting comment, thanks for sharing! After decades on the north coast, I am trying to escape touristic areas, as folks from the city are coming over to party all the time, and it's getting out of hands, when it comes to noise level... We have a similar problem in 2 opposite setups! Not sure yet about my plans, hence asking you guys about your experience.
The city people party thing is likely a short term situation driven by CV19, but perhaps the cause is different in your location for the uptick.

I would NEVER EVER consider Santo Domingo as a place to live. The noise, the traffic is INSANE. Not a chance, but good luck in your search.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The city people party thing is likely a short term situation driven by CV19, but perhaps the cause is different in your location for the uptick.

I would NEVER EVER consider Santo Domingo as a place to live. The noise, the traffic is INSANE. Not a chance, but good luck in your search.
I left S.D. Este in June of 2015.
No way would I move back. I was
offered a high paying job with
a company down in the National District
earlier this year but it required me having to live
there full-time so I turned it down.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi Squat! I left LT after 2 years to move to the Capital because it was too dangerous and I was really bored out of my mind! As another poster said - if you have children, the issue of where to live is very different. But if you live in Playa Bonita, I am guessing that you don't since that is well beyond the center of LT where there are some decent schools. For me - Gazcue was the ONLY place to live in the Capital. It has the charm of old tree lined streets, and lovely architecture.. Ok - yes - there are holes in the sidewalks that could hold a goat - but somehow the Dominicans walk around in high heels.

It took me some time to decide on the area - after renting a room in the Aparthotel Esmeralda (I think?) for a couple of months. I just kept walking around the area until I saw a sign in the window "Se Alquila". Dealing with real estate agents in SD is hopeless. They will only show you the apartments that they have listings for. I finally found my place (at Residential Claudina - right across from the PLD) - but -

I rented two different apartments there - one with a landlady from Hell - and another with the Very Best Landlady Ever. However - BOTH of them decided that they wanted to sell their places after they had had a "gringa" rent from them. I was paying in dollars - most llkely My Biggest Mistake.

You will (might) need a Dominican Guarantor - someone who owns something - like a Colmado, preferably - or a doctor or the like - to co-sign a lease. And - of course - first - last +deposit.

I have a couple of friends who are still there in Gazcue and pay decent rents if you want to PM me - they can perhaps show you around and maybe even find you something? (It will help if you are on FB so that they could chat with you? I am pretty sure that you are an OK guy but I don't actually know you and thus can not really vouch for your credentials as a gentleman and they are single women)

Plus - I think BienAmor lives in that area right between Gazcue and the Zona - so he might be able to help.

The NOISE - situation - is going to be tricky - since - well - Dominicans are simply noisy. And the Capital is noisy. You can go to a section like Casigascue - if you have about US2k to spend - but you will have to face traffic to even get out to dinner. The Zona will be completely noisy..

If you have furniture, (or even if you don't!) you might be better off renting an unfurnished apartment. That means that you will have to buy ALL the appliances - stove, fridge, light fixtures... but - you might also have a better chance of not having to pay "Gringo" prices.

The other thing about Gazcue is the trash - unless things have REALLY changed - (and I doubt honestly that they have! although it has been 4 years since I left) - while the streets of Nacho and Piantini are kept immaculate - the streets of Gazcue can often get piled up with trash. This was something that I simply had to get used to - it improved somewhat - at first I made the assumption that Dominicans themselves were "dirty" - until I got inside some of their homes and discovered how immaculate their houses were - It was simply that the STATE didn't do a good job at trash pick-up. We even saw them pick up the trash cans from in front of our building and Take Them Away!

If you can find yourself a good place with some good middle-class Dominicans, you will be very happy. They will look out for you.

Go sit at Villar Hermanos on Independencial and Pasteur and start your search from there. Yes, it is a red light district. But an elegant one.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Squat - yes - it was Esmeralda - which is also in a nice neighborhood but the other side of Maximo Gomez (Do Not Walk on Maximo Gomez alone at night!) It is a very nice place with great owners - lots of the folks are long term - for months or even years at a time. https://www.esmeralda-guest-house.com - One my favorite restaurants is the Oysteria (?) - I think - On Gomez - next to the Texaco station across from the Teatro Nacional. They have 3 different seating areas - one a sort coffee shop - and then a more bistro - then another Very Formal one. You can go and just watch the soccer matches... for instance.... and stay for an afternoon. I was always very comfortable there as a single woman - Not always the case in SD.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Tip on walking around in SD - make sure that you have the number of "Apollo Taxi" on your cell phone. When I got there, I walk until I couldn't go any further, then find someone on the street, call Apollo, and ask the stranger to tell them where I was. That cab company works better than ANYTHING I ever saw in the DR. A driver will be there for you in a few minutes. The taxis in SD are a miracle. They charge by the ride - not by the time - so you can sit in the luxury of a limo and get taken about. Once you get REALLY settled, you might decode the mystery of the guagua taxi routes. Note that if you hail a public taxi that has an empty front seat, you can pay a double fare so as not to have to let another person squeeze in between you and the driver... All these things take time to learn. You are welcome!

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
I understand, I have seen the changes since COVID. Although, I am not quite sure, those changes are here to stay. It is becoming a party town in certain areas on one hand, but many remote workers have recently relocated on the other hand.

I am in LT myself (not as long as you have been obviously), I was never kept up at night by a noisy neighbor or party, but all my neighbors live/work here full time with children.

I am also aware that all it takes is 1 absentee neighbor turning his house into a rental discoteca and it can become a living hell. Finding a long term rental has become a pain, everyone wants to make a quick buck with city folks and prices have become ridiculous.

Hope you find you piece of quiet.
Thank you for your kind words. I am still uncertain of what I'll do, but reading your comments definitely help!

Reactions: Africaida

Squat

Jan 1, 2002

Thank you for your input, indeed I hope the party thing is Covid-related, not too sure, though, as the Pandora box is open now. Anyway, I'll take it one step at a time... Are you still in Santiago?

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Hi Squat! I left LT after 2 years to move to the Capital because it was too dangerous and I was really bored out of my mind! As another poster said - if you have children, the issue of where to live is very different. But if you live in Playa Bonita, I am guessing that you don't since that is well beyond the center of LT where there are some decent schools. For me - Gazcue was the ONLY place to live in the Capital. It has the charm of old tree lined streets, and lovely architecture.. Ok - yes - there are holes in the sidewalks that could hold a goat - but somehow the Dominicans walk around in high heels.

It took me some time to decide on the area - after renting a room in the Aparthotel Esmeralda (I think?) for a couple of months. I just kept walking around the area until I saw a sign in the window "Se Alquila". Dealing with real estate agents in SD is hopeless. They will only show you the apartments that they have listings for. I finally found my place (at Residential Claudina - right across from the PLD) - but -

I rented two different apartments there - one with a landlady from Hell - and another with the Very Best Landlady Ever. However - BOTH of them decided that they wanted to sell their places after they had had a "gringa" rent from them. I was paying in dollars - most llkely My Biggest Mistake.

You will (might) need a Dominican Guarantor - someone who owns something - like a Colmado, preferably - or a doctor or the like - to co-sign a lease. And - of course - first - last +deposit.

I have a couple of friends who are still there in Gazcue and pay decent rents if you want to PM me - they can perhaps show you around and maybe even find you something? (It will help if you are on FB so that they could chat with you? I am pretty sure that you are an OK guy but I don't actually know you and thus can not really vouch for your credentials as a gentleman and they are single women)

Plus - I think BienAmor lives in that area right between Gazcue and the Zona - so he might be able to help.

The NOISE - situation - is going to be tricky - since - well - Dominicans are simply noisy. And the Capital is noisy. You can go to a section like Casigascue - if you have about US2k to spend - but you will have to face traffic to even get out to dinner. The Zona will be completely noisy..

If you have furniture, (or even if you don't!) you might be better off renting an unfurnished apartment. That means that you will have to buy ALL the appliances - stove, fridge, light fixtures... but - you might also have a better chance of not having to pay "Gringo" prices.

The other thing about Gazcue is the trash - unless things have REALLY changed - (and I doubt honestly that they have! although it has been 4 years since I left) - while the streets of Nacho and Piantini are kept immaculate - the streets of Gazcue can often get piled up with trash. This was something that I simply had to get used to - it improved somewhat - at first I made the assumption that Dominicans themselves were "dirty" - until I got inside some of their homes and discovered how immaculate their houses were - It was simply that the STATE didn't do a good job at trash pick-up. We even saw them pick up the trash cans from in front of our building and Take Them Away!

If you can find yourself a good place with some good middle-class Dominicans, you will be very happy. They will look out for you.

Go sit at Villar Hermanos on Independencial and Pasteur and start your search from there. Yes, it is a red light district. But an elegant one.
Thanks for those tips, I also talked to some friends who are from Gazcue and it seems to be a good compromise. I probably won't make a move right now, but being better informed definitely helps!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Thank you for your kind words. I am still uncertain of what I'll do, but reading your comments definitely help!

Maybe you should try to stick around until the area gets back to "normal" (hopefully soon), things may solve themselves. LT is certainly going through growing pains in many aspects and is victim of its own success.

While I haven't had issues with noise, I really think the town is becoming overpriced in many ways. I have been eyeing Cabrera (I like the friendliness of Dominican smaller towns) but I have over dramatic teens who have their friends here :rolleyes:

Vamos a ver

34Santiago

May 8, 2021
Santiago
A suggestion if I may regarding the purchase an apartment or condo. Narrow your search down to 3 or 4 places that you want to live. Go to the Watchman at each place and give him 100 pesos and your number. Ask him to call you if any owner dies, gets divorced or the Bank takes it. Tell him that you will reward him if the deal pans out. I got a great deal this way. Gave the Watchy 5,000. Best of luck.

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I live in a 3/2 house (renovated), in a private residential (quiet with security) in Santo Domingo Oeste for less than $600/month and the rent is in DOP. So yeah, it can be achieved.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe you should try to stick around until the area gets back to "normal" (hopefully soon), things may solve themselves. LT is certainly going through growing pains in many aspects and is victim of its own success.

While I haven't had issues with noise, I really think the town is becoming overpriced in many ways. I have been eyeing Cabrera (I like the friendliness of Dominican smaller towns) but I have over dramatic teens who have their friends here :rolleyes:

Vamos a ver
Indeed, it's somehow easier for me to stick around. I am kind of ok, as I can shut down my place to block the noise, But of course, nothing is easy, as now I want to enjoy open windows & fresh air (!!!)
Your teens are probably friends with mines...

Reactions: Africaida

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
A suggestion if I may regarding the purchase an apartment or condo. Narrow your search down to 3 or 4 places that you want to live. Go to the Watchman at each place and give him 100 pesos and your number. Ask him to call you if any owner dies, gets divorced or the Bank takes it. Tell him that you will reward him if the deal pans out. I got a great deal this way. Gave the Watchy 5,000. Best of luck.
Smart idea, never thought of that, thanks!