Looking for a quiet living area in Sto Dgo

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
LOL

To each its own. There are plenty that would jump off a bldg for the opportunity to live in the city
I actually loved to live in Santo Domingo, 15 years ago it was great, 10 years ago it was good, 5 years ago it was so-so, but unfortunately I have to admit that now the traffic and the air pollution came to the point that it's almost impossible to live here anymore.

Reactions: Radical

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Nine years ago I almost moved to Panama, got my residence permit there, local drivers license, bought a car, etc... but in a few months decided to come back because traffic in Panama was unbearable. Now, in 2021, traffic in Santo Domingo centre is worse than in Panama.

Reactions: Radical

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
LOL

To each its own. There are plenty that would jump off a bldg for the opportunity to live in the city
Jumping off a building might be the only way to get somewhere in Santo Domingo..........................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
After reading all your answers, I plan to stay in Las Terrenas for now. Will see according to the situation...
One thing to keep in mind, if you don't have to commute to a job every day, you open up a lot more alternatives.

For example, the house I owned in Arroyo Hondo was like living in the country. No traffic, no colmados, no noise, huge yard, and only minutes from the city. On a Sunday morning, I could go to Krispy Kreme, buy donuts, and be back in less than half an hour. I'd go to the supermarket in 4-5 minutes at 7:00 in the morning on Sundays.

I drove to work in less than half an hour as well (early) but the trip home every day on either Luperon or Prologacion 27 would easily take between 1-2 hours depending on conditions due to traffic.

If I wasn't commuting to a job, that house was perfect.

The house I had in Costa Verde was the same situation, except for a small yard.

Reactions: Radical and Squat

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Nine years ago I almost moved to Panama, got my residence permit there, local drivers license, bought a car, etc... but in a few months decided to come back because traffic in Panama was unbearable. Now, in 2021, traffic in Santo Domingo centre is worse than in Panama.

Corredor Sur, what a nighmare!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you don't mind spending an hour and a half to go somewhere that takes 8 minutes with no traffic than SD is for you.......................

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
After reading all your answers, I plan to stay in Las Terrenas for now. Will see according to the situation...

Good luck.

I am also having serious doubts about LT at the moment. it looks to me that it has become nearly impossible to find long term villa rentals, the town is catering to weekenders & short term tourists, that is where the money is.

Reactions: Squat

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good luck.

I am also having serious doubts about LT at the moment. it looks to me that it has become nearly impossible to find long term villa rentals, the town is catering to weekenders & short term tourists, that is where the money is.
According to the Central Bank, resident Dominicans are the highest spenders per day (over US$1,000 on average per day), followed by non-resident Dominicans (over US$600), and lastly non-resident foreigners (about US$128). Non-resident Dominicans aren't much of a factor in Las Terrenas tourism, but resident Dominicans and non-resident foreigners are. The last ones probably have a higher spending average in Las Terrenas than the national average. Resident Dominicans are spending big money in Dominican tourism at the moment, probably helped by the restrictions imposed by other countries regarding access due to Covid. In the beginning of the opening, the DR government also encouraged domestic tourism for Dominicans. That also most likely is part of this increase.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Good luck.

At the end of the day, the more Las Terrenas becomes a party town for "AirBnB Capitaleños", the less it is livable for resident-foreigners. To each its own, so probably if it goes on like this, within a couple of years, there won't be any Gringos left.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
At the end of the day, the more Las Terrenas becomes a party town for "AirBnB Capitaleños", the less it is livable for resident-foreigners. To each its own, so probably if it goes on like this, within a couple of years, there won't be any Gringos left.

There will the gringos catering to "Airbnb Capitalenos" and the short term foreign tourists. :)
Also, the town may be "redistributed" , the resident-foreigners will move further outside of town such as Los puentes, Jamito or La barbacoa....