Looking for feedback on Orange Internet in Bavaro

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As the strength of connection varies, is it correct to conclude that heavy usage at peak times (evenings, weekends) is what causes the problem?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am pretty sure that this is the case. I suspect Orange to sell more capacity than they can handle. With Claro and Tricom I don't have any issues like that while Orange was never working to my satisfaction especially not at this peak times you mention.

With all these numbers of velocity they talk about it was never possible even to watch a small video clip without interruption while my son is using a Tricom wimax with lower speed and watches streamed video almost 24/7 w/out interruption ever lol.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
I am pretty sure that this is the case. I suspect Orange to sell more capacity than they can handle. With Claro and Tricom I don't have any issues like that while Orange was never working to my satisfaction especially not at this peak times you mention.

With all these numbers of velocity they talk about it was never possible even to watch a small video clip without interruption while my son is using a Tricom wimax with lower speed and watches streamed video almost 24/7 w/out interruption ever lol.

I did have issues with Claro 3G Internet. The speed was horrible in Bavaro (less than .1MBPS most of the time even during non peak hours). When I came to their office in Veron to complain about this, they boosted the speed to 1MBPS but it lasted for 2 days!!!! So I guess ISP providers are using throttling to save bandwidth.

Regarding Tricom Wimax, I am interested. Have you measured their speed? I am looking for wireless internet. Not landline internet for personal reasons. I assume that Tricom Wimax is wireless (with a modem sticker).

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, I am measuring speed of my connections daily. Tricom speed is as advertised (at least at my location). Wimax is a wireless device but not like a stick. It needs its own power. Couldn't find a pic, no time to upload one since I am busy right now. My advice is go and check with their office. The plan is without "penalidad" so you can cancel anytime if it don't suits you.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
Yes, I am measuring speed of my connections daily. Tricom speed is as advertised (at least at my location). Wimax is a wireless device but not like a stick. It needs its own power. Couldn't find a pic, no time to upload one since I am busy right now. My advice is go and check with their office. The plan is without "penalidad" so you can cancel anytime if it don't suits you.

Thanks for all this information. I am sure others will find this informative as well.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
Tricom seems to be an option so far but I am still looking for the latest feedback on Orange new service with Huawei E372 to complete the whole picture. I am now with Viva 3G prepaid. It used to be decent a year ago with an average of .4MBS but now with an average of .2-.3 on non peak hours like at 6:00am!). During the evening I get about .1 or less and I had problems just to post anything on DR1.

So basically I have an urgent need to switch ISP provider. As I mentionned earlier, I am looking for wireless and non landline ISP services either prepaid or postpaid. I wanted to avoid wire installation that might mess up my appartment (the only phone outlet is far away from where I wanted the router to be installed).

To close the loop, I really need additional feedback on both Tricom Wimax and Orange 3G latest offerings.

Thank you all in advance.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
Following is an excerpt of the announcement. I do believe the future is in wireless 4G not landline ADSL2. Unfortunately Orange 4G offering is not available in Bavaro for the time being. IMHO, the fact that Orange has a plan to deploy 4G means that their infrastructure will be overhauled to address network saturation problem with their 3g legacy infrastructure.

INDOTEL autoriza a Orange a comercializar nuevamente 4G-LTE | Orange Dominicana Contenido

Any thoughts on this?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Sunday, January 9, 2013. 's directors INDOTEL published Resolution 154-12 of 20 December 2012, by which authorizes the company to market the service ORANGE 4G-LTE using the same frequencies used at the time of its launch in July 2012, by failing to identify the commission by the company Orange in any violation of existing regulations.

This decision confirms that properly marketed Orange-LTE 4G service, making appropriate use of their frequencies, which reconfirms the seriousness with which this business is conducted in the country, under a framework of respect of best practices free and fair competition, and truthfully complying with what it offers to its customers.

With this resolution the Board INDOTEL again shows its commitment to ensure the efficient use of spectrum and commitment to the implementation of new technologies for reducing the digital divide in the interest of national development. With the launch of 4G LTE Orange opened "a new era" for the Internet in the country, the fifth country in Latin America to offer this world class mobile technology for all Dominicans.

The Orange Internet 4G LTE will be available from today for customers of Santo Domingo: Naco sectors, Piantini, Chiefdoms, Bella Vista and Viewpoint. The service can be purchased at the offices of Blue Orange Mall, Churchill, Romulo Betancourt and Orange Avenue Tower N??ez de C?ceres, as had been initially marketed. The commercial is a kit exclusive containing a USB 4G LTE with a data plan unlimited, a USB 3G + 42.2 Mbps with the plan of 25GB, now available for sale both for business through executives accounts as well as for individual clients.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

How much do you pay for the Tricom Wimax?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have 2 contracts with them:

2 mb down with 512 up (thats the one my son uses for youtube, club penguin etc...) = 2,000 DOP / month
3 mb down with 768 up (the backup for my Claro ;)) = 2,500 DOP / month

the above running 1 yr + never a problem until last week, there was a defect w/ the antenna for Pueblo Bavaro, reported it to the Manager, next morning technician came and fixed it!

On another note:

I tried to get the Claro Multiplan 5 mb + double up to 10 mb today. Wasn't possible since I have Claro with 4 mb / 1 mb which is the maximum velocity available for PB I was told :(. Do they offer 10 mb for PC Village? Maybe you know? Thanks!

How much do you pay for the Tricom Wimax?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for the info - we would have to establish whether the service is as good in PC village.

I tried to get the Claro Multiplan 5 mb + double up to 10 mb today. Wasn't possible since I have Claro with 4 mb / 1 mb which is the maximum velocity available for PB I was told :(. Do they offer 10 mb for PC Village? Maybe you know? Thanks!
No, sorry, I have not darkened their doors for about three years - the main advantage of switching to Orange was not to have to deal with that vile company and its braindead employees.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Lol, I was not under the impression that the Orange staff is much smarter, he he... Had my experiences with them too...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Orange's customer service setup is better, but then anything is better than Claro. Their help centre does not have anything near the same waiting times or limits on calls per day. Apart from paying bills and having the flybox checked on the advice of their customer service operator I haven't had as many f-t-f dealings with their staff and the experience has been fine.

With Claro they used to cut off the service every month, even though we would pay on time, and then give us some stupid explanation about having to call them and sacrifice a goat under the full moon in order to activate the service.

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
hum... still no feedback on Orange 42MBS service :-(. I guess this service is too new? Or everybody wants to stay away from Orange networks? Does Orange offers a cancellation with no penalty if the service is bad?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
hum... still no feedback on Orange 42MBS service :-(. I guess this service is too new? Or everybody wants to stay away from Orange networks? Does Orange offers a cancellation with no penalty if the service is bad?

I doubt they offer cancellation as we know so far the service has been BAD. So check this before you step in. But in reality if you return the equipment and don't pay there is not much they can do about it.

Mamajava

Oct 19, 2012
I had the flybox for 18 month (you have to sign for that term). The first 2 month were fast as promised (max 4. something, but not constantly, it depended on the time of day).

The rest of this 18 month it went barely over 1 mb down and 200kb up. Couldn't open i.e. youtube vids etc. A dissapointment. I am in Pueblo Bavaro and using Tricom Wimax and Claro. With both I am very happy. Stable and I get the promised velocity.

Do you require a unit for every device you have? For example, we have four computers....will I need four separate units? The price is then $2500 RD per for a total $10000RD per month. Is that correct? I can't seem to get any answers from them...my Spanish isn't that good. Thanks

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
No, you get one and connect it to a router and connect your machines to the router. No need to get one for each PC.

I have 2 of them and the Claro b/c I need to be always online. I can't afford an outage (b/c of my work and of course my son ;)) so I have more than one unit / ISP for backup...

Do you require a unit for every device you have? For example, we have four computers....will I need four separate units? The price is then $2500 RD per for a total $10000RD per month. Is that correct? I can't seem to get any answers from them...my Spanish isn't that good. Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
rubio_higuey gave you the best advice.

It's not the hardware, it's the network.

There is only so much data that can be squeezed into the pipeline. Any excess data then begins to slow the entire network served by that pipeline down.

Networks here aren't like the states where there is plenty to go around. The telcom companies here only respond to the squeaky wheel or politicos.

And no way would any carrier here ever admit they are oversold and their networks clogged up, and only they have the keys to determine that. As soon as they get excess capacity it'll get clogged a couple of months later. That's why people say "Flybox worked great for 2 months then went to crap." The Flybox is fine. The network is the problem, especially the farther from a big city you get (and Bavaro is NOT a "big city.)

tim514

Nov 12, 2011
No, you get one and connect it to a router and connect your machines to the router. No need to get one for each PC.

I have 2 of them and the Claro b/c I need to be always online. I can't afford an outage (b/c of my work and of course my son ;)) so I have more than one unit / ISP for backup...

Thanks Mike for this valuable information. I am now a convert to Tricom Wimax. Originally I am planning to use TP-LINK 3440 as 3G router with Huwai E370. What router you use for Wimax dognle. What is the brand name of the Wimax stick. I need this information to determine compatibility with the router. Thanks