Looking For some info on Cabarete

May 17, 2011
I’ve been hearing some good things about Cabarete, even tho I have never been there. I have always chosen Sosua due to the popularity and the beach. for my next trip, I’d like to try Caberete and am looking for some advice.

I hear kite beach is the most popular henice the name. Is it swimable or mostly rough? I hear there are a few more beaches in Cabarete. Are they all walking distance from one another?

For nightlife and restaurants are they pretty easy to find? Is there a strip like Sosua or are they in different areas

Should I look into hotels or airbnb For lodging? Any specific areas?

Thanks

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A minute or two on Google Earth or Google maps will give you an encyclopedia of information.

Reactions: Buck

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Kite Beach and several other of the beaches on the east and west side of Cabarete are rough with frequent dangerous rip currents and are not good places to go swimming. The beach in the center of town is in a small bay, protected by a reef, and is usually a good, safe place to swim.

All of the nightlife is on the beach in the center of town. It is very small compared to Sosua with maybe a dozen restaurants and a half dozen bars and clubs.

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Kite Beach and several other of the beaches on the east and west side of Cabarete are rough with frequent dangerous rip currents and are not good places to go swimming. The beach in the center of town is in a small bay, protected by a reef, and is usually a good, safe place to swim.

All of the nightlife is on the beach in the center of town. It is very small compared to Sosua with maybe a dozen restaurants and a half dozen bars and clubs.
I agree. Kite beach is obviously the centre for Kite boarding but there are kite board, windsurf and foil places on the main beach in town too. Hotls and rental apartments are all over town, but I don't recommend staying in Callejon de la Loma unless you are on a low budget.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Solid advice. Those waters are dangerous A good friend of mine drowned up there back in 2021.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Solid advice. Those waters are dangerous A good friend of mine drowned up there back in 2021.
Go one step further. This will save your life.

Rip currents are dangerous. The proper way to deal with them if you get caught in one is to not panic and fight against it trying to swim to shore.

Instead, tread water and Let them carry you further down the beach where they will eventually dissipate and you can make it to the beach with little effort, safe and sound.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think most people over 30 greatly overestimate their ability to swim. These rip currently here can easily carry you out 1/4 mile or more. So, now you find yourself pretty far out, exhausted from swimming parallel, the ocean is rough, and you start doubting you can make it back to shore. Also, here these rip currents aren't just widely isolated and separated rips and when you start swimming back, you swim into another one. The ocean here is not for amateurs. Don't go out when it's rough.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I think most people over 30 greatly overestimate their ability to swim. These rip currently here can easily carry you out 1/4 mile or more. So, now you find yourself pretty far out, exhausted from swimming parallel, the ocean is rough, and you start doubting you can make it back to shore. Also, here these rip currents aren't just widely isolated and separated rips and when you start swimming back, you swim into another one. The ocean here is not for amateurs. Don't go out when it's rough.
I almost never see anyone swimming in Cab east. The surf is just too rough if you go out past knee deep. I do love to walk on the beach down to the river

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I almost never see anyone swimming in Cab east. The surf is just too rough if you go out past knee deep. I do love to walk on the beach down to the river
I live just a little east of there and occasionally there are some days it's nice but the overwhelming majority of the time it's just too rough to go swimming. Knee deep is as far as you want to go. We've had about 7 near-drownings by people swept out by the rip currents just in front of my condo. There have been numerous drownings in the stretch between Valero and Camino Del Sol. The ocean is generally rough and doesn't look safe to me anywhere all the way down to the river at Boca. Nice wide beach though and great for a walk with a nice view of the mountains all the way to Rio San Juan on a clear day.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I agree about not going out.

But for the unfortunate soul who ends up caught in the rip current, it's infinitely better to let it carry you parallel to the beach than to fight it.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I
I agree about not going out.

But for the unfortunate soul who ends up caught in the rip current, it's infinitely better to let it carry you parallel to the beach than to fight it.
I think you mean swim parallel to the beach rather than fight it and, yes, that might save your life. Swimming in a rough ocean though is harder than in a swimming pool or lake.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I think you mean swim parallel to the beach rather than fight it and, yes, that might save your life. Swimming in a rough ocean though is harder than in a swimming pool or lake.

Even if you don't swim, you can just tread water and the currents will take you parallel to the beach until you reach a point you can return to the beach.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Even if you don't swim, you can just tread water and the currents will take you parallel to the beach until you reach a point you can return to the beach.
Easier said than done in rough, 3-foot, seas. I think many of the drownings here are proof of that. As I said previously, we've saved 7 people here just in front of my condo who almost drowned. If we hadn't got to them when we did, they would have gone under.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Easier said than done in rough, 3-foot, seas. I think many of the drownings here are proof of that. As I said previously, we've saved 7 people here just in front of my condo who almost drowned. If we hadn't got to them when we did, they would have gone under.

Good thing ya'll were there!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Good thing ya'll were there!
We have life jackets and a life preserver on a two-hundred-yard reel right on the beach. That's what made the difference. None of us here are expert swimmers. Without those, we might not have been able to save those people.
It's been several years since we've had an incident, but we now have big signs warning everyone of dangerous undercurrents.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
We have life jackets and a life preserver on a two-hundred-yard reel right on the beach. That's what made the difference. None of us here are expert swimmers. Without those, we might not have been able to save those people. It's been several years since we've had an incident, but we now have big signs warning everyone of dangerous undercurrents.