Looser curfew coming (heard a rumor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's exactly what he has been doing. The ex presidents brother is in prison. But the corruption is so systemic here and the government coffers so empty it is not easy.

The issue is going to go on for a long time as well. Because we were basically closed for months my business has run up a huge ITBIS and tax credit. So we won't be paying any taxes for most of 2021 at least. And so many other businesses are in the same position.
Are you not paying any taxes. We are.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
But as of today no changes to or extension of the curfew have been announced yet, correct?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please do. I know for a fact that my source met with thw president last week and discussed easing the curfew but I was given to believe that this is what they intend to do but subject to the numbers looking ok.
My buddy owns a few shops here in Santiago and is good friends with top brass so he seems to always know what they are doing before its announced. I hope you're source is correct too.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
My point was that curfews do not work. If a 24/7 curfew doesn't work how can a, 5 p.m or 7 p.m. curfew work. That was what I was addressing.
If curfews don't work then what is working in the DR 278 deaths per 1 million vs Colombia 1148 deaths per 1 million, since Colombia, without the same restrictive curfews, is doing rather poorly when compared to La RD re: covid numbers ;)

Coronavirus Update (Live): 111,948,655 Cases and 2,477,778 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer (worldometers.info)

Reactions: cavok

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
We are approaching herd immunity. The vaccines will add to that.
Of course if the Johnson & Johnson vaccine gets final approval it only needs one jab and can be kept at refrigerator temperatures.
The people who complain about slow roll out of vaccines in other countries should watch the cobwebs grow on any future vaccine plans in DR.
But my take on curfews is why make the weekend different? Make it 9PM across the board. Better yet 10pm.
The whole curfew was done for show and control. Now it will be claimed as a great success. Everyone take a bow.
Here's Why Herd Immunity Won't Save Us From The COVID-19 Pandemic (sciencealert.com)

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Damn. I guess the numbers just didn't stack up for them to take the decision. The person who is my source definitely met with Abinader last week, I saw them standing together on the news. It's a real shame for all the bars and restaurants who are on their knees, another two weeks of not making enough money coming up.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, there would be no herd immunity unless and until we have an effective vaccine and about 70 to 80 percent of the population was infected and/or vaccinated and infection granted immunity for the 99.4% who were infected that did not die.

However, I read somewhere, I think, maybe, that a vaccine or two were developed.. o_O 💉 So we don't have to reach herd immunity solely through infections.

So, we can
Indeed
Reach
Herd

Immunity...

If enough people vaccinate quickly enough in combination with those who develop immunity through being infected herd immunity is possible
if the vaccines work or immunity is acquired by being previously infected. We know think there is a good degree of immunity from vaccinations. Nobody will know how long immunity will last, or if resistant variants will develop quicker than people can be vaccinated.

(That article was from a time that I didn't even think there would be a vaccine that worked. Maybe they do. They seem to according to the study results. Time will tell. But CV19 will still be here, there and everywhere to stay even with an effective vaccine.)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Damn. I guess the numbers just didn't stack up for them to take the decision. The person who is my source definitely met with Abinader last week, I saw them standing together on the news. It's a real shame for all the bars and restaurants who are on their knees, another two weeks of not making enough money coming up.
I doubt very much it will be for just another few weeks. The scientific answer would be when herd immunity is reached.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

It's time for YOU, to STOP spreading false rumours and innuendo.
Safe some face fella, and stop embarrassing yourself.
The only rumours I will entertain, are those that are 100% opposite of what your "friends in the know" tell you, and you feel obliged to publish here within our web forum community. :rolleyes::sneaky:

Carl.L

Banned
Oct 20, 2020
yes
Yes, there would be no herd immunity unless and until we have an effective vaccine and about 70 to 80 percent of the population was infected and/or vaccinated and infection granted immunity for the 99.4% who were infected that did not die.

However, I read somewhere, I think, maybe, that a vaccine or two were developed.. o_O 💉 So we don't have to reach herd immunity solely through infections.

So, we can
Indeed
Reach
Herd

Immunity...

If enough people vaccinate quickly enough in combination with those who develop immunity through being infected herd immunity is possible
if the vaccines work or immunity is acquired by being previously infected. We know think there is a good degree of immunity from vaccinations. Nobody will know how long immunity will last, or if resistant variants will develop quicker than people can be vaccinated.

(That article was from a time that I didn't even think there would be a vaccine that worked. Maybe they do. They seem to according to the study results. Time will tell. But CV19 will still be here, there and everywhere to stay even with an effective vaccine.)
There seem to be a few vaccine options and more ion the future. Part of the potential issues is probable high resistance or at least disinterest and without enough people fully vaccinated... https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/me...not-reach-herd-immunity-for-years/ar-BB1dSGYt

Also for your browsing pleasure:

Even if the vaccines work and we get "herd immunity" it may not happen this year in 2021...or for years.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Is it an ego trip that compells you to get out there first with the "news" AKA rumors"? You're not the only poster on this forum board that has "a source". Think about this for a moment; You saw your "source" standing with the President on the news", so therefor , it must be gospel. C'mon TP, like betting on the #3 horse because you noticed the horse's doo doo was the color of gold in the stable this morning.
The other poster" has a source with "100% reliably record". Think about this; The source "owns some shops and his friend is in the top "brass". I know very little about local politics in the DR but am interested in learning. How high up is "top brass" ? And, how far down does he share with the public? I guess...with someone that owns some stores? Duh.
Again I ask, what purpose does unsubstantiated rumors have on a forum board that promotes information regarding the DR (and now especially information on travel)??

Status
Not open for further replies.