Loser pays.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Pib said:
Is it still so in the Dominican legal system?

Good Question. In the US Legal Fees may be paid by the defendant/loser. But rarely if ever will a plaintiff be responsible for the legal fees of a defendant if they lose (do not establish) their case. I believe in England that a plaintiff has to pay the defendants fees if they can't make their claim. The effect this has is to make the courts a place where only the rich dare raise a claim, unless it's a certain winner. Just what is the law or convention when it comes to the payment of legal fees by opposite parties? Any experiences?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can't give you a definitive answer, Pib, but our condo has a claim against one of the owners in Land Court and our attorney indicates we will recover our legal fees when we win.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Ken said:
Can't give you a definitive answer, Pib, but our condo has a claim against one of the owners in Land Court and our attorney indicates we will recover our legal fees when we win.

Right, But if you lose will you have to pay the defendant's fees? That's the bigger question.

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Pib said:
Is it still so in the Dominican legal system?

Pib, your question was a little vague. Would you care to expand? I'd hate to ramble on, if I'm off your intended point.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The losing side to most litigation in the DR must pay the winner?s ?legal fees? as calculated by using an outdated schedule of fees which bears little resemblance to the real legal fees incurred in the litigation.