Lost Luggage

Budson

New member
Mar 10, 2004
145
2
0
65
I travel back to the State ever other week for the weekend. Of the last four trips, my baggage has not arrived with me three of the times (or within the next 48 hours for that fact). I know, I usually only bring carry-on but the folks back home want their Santo Domingo Coffee as it was the Cristmas season.

Anyone have any strategies for this? Even bringing carry-on is not always the answer since the teams on the jetways have frequently snatched my carry-on from me even with tons of overhead space still left (and the bag is the required size).

Maybe I should start using those Winnebago-sized trunks I see everyone else pulling one or two off. They never seem to not get their baggage.
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
It's a seasonal problem. Things (at least on Continental and American), should be back to normal in another week or so.
 

bigbird

New member
May 1, 2005
7,375
161
0
donde est? mi equipaje

rellosk said:
It's a seasonal problem. Things (at least on Continental and American), should be back to normal in another week or so.
I am not too sure about that. It has happened to me during the off season.

Did you file a delayed baggage claim? Depending on how long it takes before you receive your baggage you could possibly get your flight cost back. With no baggage you "must buy" pants, shirt, razor, soap, shoes, etc. Make up some phony receipts to file with the claim. It takes a few months to get your money from Continental. So by the time you get your check you will be ready to travel again. Ohhhhhhhhh I love delayed baggage (donde est? mi equipaje).
 

Budson

New member
Mar 10, 2004
145
2
0
65
I have never tried that but I will give it a try. The only "satisfaction" I have gotten is sending the following letter to American. No reply...


January 12, 2006
American Airlines Customer Relations
P.O. Box 619612 MD 2400
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9612
To Whom It May Concern:

Effective immediately, I will begin charging American Airlines rent for the use of my luggage when it does not arrive on the same plane as I do. Given the contents, I feel $10 a day to be a reasonable amount but I am will to negotiate it and of course, you always have the option not to delay my luggage and incur the charge. Please forward this email to your Accounts Payable department so I can begin invoicing your company immediately.

The reason I have come to the conclusion that there must be value in holding my luggage is because you seem to keep it so often. In the past two trips to the Dominican Republic it has been ?re-routed? twice. Consistency in execution like that is to be admired. I have not been keeping track how many times this has occurred in the past two years, but I cannot believe that it is due to incompetent or a lack of concern on your part. It would be staggering if that were the root cause. I believe you to be a better airline than that.

Point of fact, I know you are a good airlines because you insist your employees sit in the First Class accommodations that otherwise might be used for say, loyal customers. I find it stunning that the persons most qualified to sit in emergency seating are forced to sit in First Class and I fight to get into emergency isle seating for some leg rooms and pray the person sitting at the door wearing the ?I?m With Stupid? T-shirt didn?t borrow it from the person sitting next to him. But I am digressing. Let it suffice to say that I have come to the conclusion you like having my luggage and I am merely seeking remuneration for the service I am providing you.

I know I am of a lucky few who share this status. I see others at the luggage carrousel unloading steamer trunk after steamer trunk onto the airport carriers until the axels bend to scrape the ground. Obviously, there is something lacking in their luggage or you would opt to retain theirs also. Of course, it may be an efficiency issue, since they literally have tons of personal effects to go through and I never check more than one bag.

I believe that it might be due to some special screening you do to select luggage. Being an Aadvantage Platinum member, occasionally flying business class, you have pre-selected my luggage for retention. Well, following your lead, I am offering you membership in my Frequent-Finders program. With every 10 retentions, I will give you the carry-one I will need to replace due to all the excess handling. You are already pre-registered, no other airlines I fly have qualified.

So in closing, I want to thank you for your business, I really value you as a customer. Maybe someday you will have the same sentiment.

Best Regards
 

rellosk

New member
Mar 18, 2002
4,159
54
0
bigbird said:
I am not too sure about that. It has happened to me during the off season.

Did you file a delayed baggage claim? Depending on how long it takes before you receive your baggage you could possibly get your flight cost back. With no baggage you "must buy" pants, shirt, razor, soap, shoes, etc. Make up some phony receipts to file with the claim. It takes a few months to get your money from Continental. So by the time you get your check you will be ready to travel again. Ohhhhhhhhh I love delayed baggage (donde est? mi equipaje).
How long was your luggage delayed for and how much money did Continental give you?
 

bigbird

New member
May 1, 2005
7,375
161
0
rellosk said:
How long was your luggage delayed for and how much money did Continental give you?
My most recent "delayed baggage" was 10/28/05 on Continental EWR-STI. I was in Sosua for 5 days. My baggage never made it to my hotel. On departure day from Sosua I picked my luggage up at the airport. My daughter tracked the details for me while I was in Sosua. I did a 5 day trip, my luggage arrived on the 4th day. Considering the distance from STI to Sosua I guess Continental felt it wasn't worth the effort to deliver my luggage to the hotel for my last day in Sosua.

A Continental agent "whispered" in my ear I could claim up to $50 USD per day for delayed luggage. I just claim as much as I can and let Continental do the adjustments. My average check from Continental is $250. I am learning the system and anticipate increasing that average.

Budson said:
I feel $10 a day to be a reasonable amount but I am will to negotiate it and of course,
Don't be so cheap! Go for the Gusto! File a claim to the max!
 

Budson

New member
Mar 10, 2004
145
2
0
65
I was told that the "subcontractors" are paid by the stop and therefore, are "motivated" to deliver as much and as quickly as possible. The reality, I explained to the AA rep, is that they are "motivated" not to go to locations that are further out or have few stops along the way.
 

bigbird

New member
May 1, 2005
7,375
161
0
Budson said:
I was told that the "subcontractors" are paid by the stop and therefore, are "motivated" to deliver as much and as quickly as possible. The reality, I explained to the AA rep, is that they are "motivated" not to go to locations that are further out or have few stops along the way.
That makes sense to me! Only alternative is to file a claim. I can't speak for all airlines but I know Continental doesn't have a bold print memo concerning delayed baggage. Use the pc, emails, customerservice@&**&^&% for compensation.

Just to think, once I really learn the system I could travel with an empty suitcase knowing it will be lost and buy new clothes everyday on the airlines budget;) Wishfull thinking, but it is possible.
 

bigbird

New member
May 1, 2005
7,375
161
0
You Got That Right!

Hipocrito Mejia said:
Budson, you have too much patience. I'd be in jail by now!
You got that right!

One of my very first jobs as a high school kid was in a supermarket. First lesson, the customer is always right! Now it just takes a little interneting to receive the old fashioned results. No need for stamps or lengthy formal letters. Create an email folder and send, send, send email. Sooner or later you will **** someone off and you will receive more compensation than you originally wanted.
 

Budson

New member
Mar 10, 2004
145
2
0
65
bigbird said:
Just to think, once I really learn the system I could travel with an empty suitcase knowing it will be lost and buy new clothes everyday on the airlines budget;) Wishfull thinking, but it is possible.

Having seen first-hand the skills and care of baggage handlers, don't be surprised when you get your empty suitcase at the end of your trip filled with other people's stuff.
 

Budson

New member
Mar 10, 2004
145
2
0
65
bigbird said:
You got that right!

One of my very first jobs as a high school kid was in a supermarket. First lesson, the customer is always right! Now it just takes a little interneting to receive the old fashioned results. No need for stamps or lengthy formal letters. Create an email folder and send, send, send email. Sooner or later you will **** someone off and you will receive more compensation than you originally wanted.
My letter to the airlines was litteral slowing down at the scene of an accident. I had to see the whole thing out so I opted to send a letter instead of an email. Also, the 1,500 character limit cramped my style.

Customer Service?? Airlines??? You talk to them and all they can do is explain why things don't work. This has replaced their previous mode of operation whereby they would give you the hope of something happening by confusing activity with progress. Guess the recent cutbacks made that too expensive a policy to have.
 

bigbird

New member
May 1, 2005
7,375
161
0
Budson said:
Having seen first-hand the skills and care of baggage handlers, don't be surprised when you get your empty suitcase at the end of your trip filled with other people's stuff.
Now that is funny;) and also possible.