Lots of Negatives

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i hear you. in my first three years here i was sick about every two months. once with five different types of food/dirt borne bacteria in one go. even my doctor looked impressed.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
i hear you. in my first three years here i was sick about every two months. once with five different types of food/dirt borne bacteria in one go. even my doctor looked impressed.
Your stomach simply lacked the right endemic bacteria mix, which btw are the same problem wherever you go when the countries or areas are not sharing the same environments.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know what helped me? running the fridge on inversor. correct temperature all the time.

and time. you need time to get used to DR flora and fauna. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you know what helped me? running the fridge on inversor. correct temperature all the time.

and time. you need time to get used to DR flora and fauna. :)

You're right D, my wife will not buy from a retailer who doesn't have a generator/battery backup system.... food thaws too often.

Mero is her pet peeve..... she gets sick every time.... we never have it any more unless fresh

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
THIS is the OP: ( if we don't get back on topic, this thread is doomed to closure)

The posts over the last year or so indicate that many expats are really down on the DR; leaving or just "grinding it out" because of relationships there.
Many of the posters are tired of the power issues. For me that would be #6-7 of the reason to leave. We all know the others.
Any regular posters ready to admit they would leave if they did not have business or close personal ties???

olmectech

Jul 9, 2010
For me, i don't see life as an "all or nothing" situation. I've lived many places in the world and my goal is to "exploit" the positives without enduring the negatives. I will continue to enjoy my Dominican family and investments in the DR, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna deal with no power and all the other crap that goes on there. Now, off to Europe to work on that one.

Jan 3, 2003
It does baffle the mind how people just throw it on the floor and keep walking like nothing and the ****ing on the walls. It's awful. The ghetto-ization of the country continues afoot and if anybody tries to do anything a human rights campaign begins, or you hear pero yo soy padre de familia. Stop coddling these people and the nonsense will stop.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The country is becoming a huge junkyard. The ghetto-ization continues afoot. Very well said and was a major reason why we as a family decided to pick up and get out. With a movement towards a national ghetto comes crime and the mentality that crime pays at the street level. It pays because as you have so aptly stated the consequences are light whereas before the consequences were severe in the form of extrajudicial executions. A growing population will only worsen this trend.

It will only get worse. There is no way to cure the effects of a growing population and dwindling resources. When credit expansion is used to remedy the errors of a growing population with no real economic activity the end result is collapse. It won't come today or tomorrow but will come inevitably as night turns into day. The DR has been growing its population in an explosive form for many many decades. The only halt to this ecological damage will come when the balance is permanently upset. Restoration will come violently and the poorest will suffer as they always have. For us its better to get out sooner than later.

I have said that many times..... most trouble is in the bigger cities or the touristy places.

In the outlying parts of RD you find generous , willing people to share life with.
Pick any small town, they're all very similar.

Major shopping is an hour or two away when you want it.

You guys must be in towns smaller than Constanza which is up in the mountains. Crime is off the charts there too. Drugs, murder, suicide, rapes as bad per capita-wise as Santo Domingo. You guys must really be off the beaten path becuase even in so called small city sanctuaries you'll find crime that'll make your head spin.

Last edited:

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think I have adapted well, I don't even notice the trash around me anymore, it is just amazing colored grass or paving.
The lights issue someone was tearing on about, that is why we have inversors.
The roads don't bother me, nor does the driving, like I said, I have adapted well to those annoyances some take to heart.
The whores, what whores, I must say that unless I go to a seaside town where I will find foreigners then I never see them, other than the odd one on El Conde, again, where we find foreigners.
The drinking and loudness, again, you have to be looking for that, you aren't going to have to put up with drunken dicks sat at home on the balcony with a cup of tea. Noise? Well, should maybe have considered that before moving where you did, but to be honest everywhere is noisy here, even silence is loud.

biggest issue for me is trust, I can't trust anyone to any great extent, from other foreigners, to natives, police, legal system, basic human rights or lack of. I can handle all the issues many seem to consider the evils of the land, but until you really need the system to work with you, or for you I don't think many have experienced the real bull$hit this land can throw at you.

Would I do it all again if I didn't have personal responsibilities here? No, there are far more easier, chilled out, cheaper and peaceful places in the world to hang your hat, hell, you'd think every native scratching at the doors to get out might have been a hint to some of us.
what is the worst thing? I dunno, but I know there are worse things than living here as a foreigner, we could be Dominicans living here unable to have options if we did choose to leave.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Your right but this can be said for many other places. Does the "grind" get old, yes it does but in the end it depends on the person. I live in Santo Domingo, sure there is a lot of negative but there is positive. Just like Miami, New York, L.A., Chicago, etc.. There is crime everywhere here but there is also crime in the corn fields of Indiana, it is all about what you want and what quality of life you want to live. I guess you have to ask yourself what is holding you here. Job, family, etc... and then ask yourself how important is that to you.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Your stomach simply lacked the right endemic bacteria mix, which btw are the same problem wherever you go when the countries or areas are not sharing the same environments.

That's possible but what about my case I have been living in Latin America for 20 years, eating all over the place, spending days in the jungle drinking the water from the creeks. I should be "immune".
The problem with this country it's just filthy, health regulations are there just to be laughed about. Remember the salami with feces? What about those trucks selling the water?
But then again it's better to build empty malls than to supply the people with the bare necessities such as clean water.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Your right but this can be said for many other places. Does the "grind" get old, yes it does but in the end it depends on the person. I live in Santo Domingo, sure there is a lot of negative but there is positive. Just like Miami, New York, L.A., Chicago, etc.There is crime everywhere here there is also crime in the corn fields of Indiana,

Corn husking can sometimes turn very ugly very fast............lol

B in Santiago

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
That's possible but what about my case I have been living in Latin America for 20 years, eating all over the place, spending days in the jungle drinking the water from the creeks. I should be "immune".
The problem with this country it's just filthy, health regulations are there just to be laughed about. Remember the salami with feces? What about those trucks selling the water?
But then again it's better to build empty malls than to supply the people with the bare necessities such as clean water.

The government doesn't build malls, but yes potable water should be a priority for the government.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
potable water? you could probably do with a simple carbon, sand and grass filter, adding few drops of chloro and boiling. but you need to know that.
if i really had to pick up one single thing the government should focus on it's education. not only in a sense of schooling but also, well, no better word for it - indoctrination. a mind of a child is easily formed. some of the government campaigns should target little ones: rubbish, noise, respect for others and so on.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Pichardo, so you didn't like my post, why?
Because I told a lie? Then correct me.

"The problem with this country it's just filthy"

Compared to Panama and most if not all of the Central America and Caribbean countries, the DR is far above the filth you so call it.

Your words are far more repugnant than any garbage I have come across in the whole DR, including Duquesa....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Compared to Panama and most if not all of the Central America and Caribbean countries, the DR is far above the filth you so call it.

Your words are far more repugnant than any garbage I have come across in the whole DR, including Duquesa....

I beg to differ with you. Costs Rica is far, far cleaner than the DR. Large parts of Mexico are really clean, and I found Honduras cleaner on average. Cuba is cleaner, marginally, I think because they have less Styrofoam to throw away.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I beg to differ with you. Costs Rica is far, far cleaner than the DR. Large parts of Mexico are really clean, and I found Honduras cleaner on average. Cuba is cleaner, marginally, I think because they have less Styrofoam to throw away.

I agree with Costa Rica and Cuba being cleaner. Mexico I'm not so sure, but I haven't been to every town. Still, I find DR a better place to live, all things considered.