LT Food Scene

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
There are many North Coast food threads. Well primarily Sosua.
It is very rare to see anything about the LT food scene. I happen to think it is quite good and diverse.
There is everything from local to French, Italian, Czesk and North American.

I am interested in hearing others thoughts on their favorite LT restaurants.
Like almost all else in the DR "inconsistent" summarizes our experiences last year.

Here are a few of my memories.

1)Al Pasito - Went there Valentiines Day 2019 and had an outstanding meal. Sea erchant was the star of the show.
We tried to go back two days later and it was closed as the chef quit. When it re-opened it was so / so.
2)La Caliente Yuca - Had one meal there, Lobster ravioli and really enjoyed it. My wife had a pizza that was also really good.
3)Baraonda- Overall disappointing. So much potential , terrible chef and leadership in my opinion. Perhaps that has changed in the last 12 months?
4)El Delfin - Wildly inconsistent food and service. However the owners are the nicest people you will ever meet and we will go multiple times on our next vacation. As long as you go in with a "chilled" attitude its all good.
5)Bon Appetite - If it is still open , will not be back , 'Nuff said. Sad as it "was" really good.

I am not interested in an establishments in fisherman's village or warf. Too congested and touristy for me. However I would like to hear others thoughts. I don't trust trip adviser reviews a lot, some seem very "off"

stretch

Aug 25, 2005
Tre Caravelle towards Ponta Popi. Try their seafood risotto or steak with gorgonzola sauce! Awesomeness!

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
El Lugar is excellent. Belgium owner. Very good steak both imported and Dominican.

Reactions: Africaida

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Whenever in Las Terrenas my favorite is to go to the fishermans' market at the old cemetery. There you can buy fresh catch of the day. They have a variety of seafood, too. And bring shrimp from Sanchez. Fresh ingredients make recipes especially great. Keep them simple. Sautee the seafood with chopped garlic in light olive oil. Maybe some cherry tomatoes. Lots of chopped cilantro or wide leafed parsley. So delicious.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
The 2 times ive been to LT ... i love the sit down area right on the beach by Los Pescadores. They seem family run. catch of the day .. prepared to your liking with rice or tostones.. Yummyy.

I dont seek boujie dining when in DR. Gimme local fresh fish

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I prefer places outside of town.

- Luis in Coson is good, mainly seafood, but has gotten expensive recently.
- Yocelins on the road to Coson, german food.
- Places behind the cemetery.

Reactions: DonDimi

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I tried some breakfast/coffee places that I liked. The Boulangerie Francais/French bakery a nice location for people watching and coffee. The Italian Panadaria at the boat building. Had excellent breakfast there and good coffee and its always busy despite these times. And I have recently tried Olivo on Playa Poppy and they have a good deal on the breakfast with a choice of breakfast Americano and a Dominican breakfast with mangu.

Reactions: Buster Rhyno

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Luis' was always a fan favorite - but mi amigo was in Playa Coson last year & found a similar place that he says was better - as he's a trained chef - I'll take his word for it
Will have to check it out

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Not a fan of Luis anymore, service is terrrrrrrible and price is a joke, victim of his own success unfortunately.

Try Donde Valerio instead, smaller, quieter, better beach and one can call ahead to have food ready.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
A new breakfast place is Punto Italia at the boat building. I had excellent coffee there. Italian coffee. Many breakfast places are quite busy especially on weekends. Even with queues to get a table.

Reactions: Africaida

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
I have had some good breakfasts across the street from the boat at Zuber as well. More food than one person could or should eat for 150 RD. My wife and I share a breakfast there and there is still food left.
Have any of the well known LT establishments closed their doors for good due to the pandemic and tourism being down drastically ?

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
I have had some good breakfasts across the street from the boat at Zuber as well. More food than one person could or should eat for 150 RD. My wife and I share a breakfast there and there is still food left.
Have any of the well known LT establishments closed their doors for good due to the pandemic and tourism being down drastically ?
I will check out Zuber. I don’t know enough about before and during pandemic to know if some have closed for good. El Lugar the steak house has expanded with a second floor lounge type thing and I heard today that Tre Caravelle is doing the same for their reopening. Both on Playa Popy.

Reactions: Rumble2005