Lunes zapatero?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Why is the city so quiet? Why is the school across my street closed? Did everybody lose the way back in? Did some revolutionary army take the toll booths per my idea?

Oh well, tomorrow is then lunes cimarr?n.

*Dominican idioms left purposely untranslated to baffle the uninitiated. ;)

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
This must be a SD-only phenomenon, Santiago traffic was as annoying as ever, AMET doing their best to make things worse than they had to be.

Maybe people from the capitol came to Santiago for Easter, got addicted to the garbage fumes and decided to stay?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
"Why is the school across my street closed?"

This morning I rushed my kid to get dress, brush her teeth and we walk in a hurry to school so not to be late, what we got? Our nose on the closed gate! I don't understand the reasoning behind starting school on a Tuesday. Do the Principal and teachers have to sleep off their hang-over or what?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
juanita said:
"Why is the school across my street closed?"

This morning I rushed my kid to get dress, brush her teeth and we walk in a hurry to school so not to be late, what we got? Our nose on the closed gate! I don't understand the reasoning behind starting school on a Tuesday. Do the Principal and teachers have to sleep off their hang-over or what?
Hey! I am not complaining about the school been closed. On the contrary. ;)

BTW, my catholic school is closed today (and presumably all others) as it is a holly day. It is also observed in many countries.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My son's school is closed for 'teacher training' - that's what they call it, anyway. ;)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Funny!

Then we wonder why kids in the DR are so happy:

There are more days off than actual school days!!!!, :p :p .

Anybody for "apagon day"?.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just been out and it doesn't feel like a weekday: traffic-wise it's more like a Saturday, and the supermarket was very quiet indeed.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

I understand the meaning of "lunes zapatero y lunes cimarr?n" but I was wondering if you know of any English equivalents. Since you posted this I was trying to think of an "equivalent" expression. If you know of any please share.

Thanks,

Lesley D

Pib said:
Why is the city so quiet? Why is the school across my street closed? Did everybody lose the way back in? Did some revolutionary army take the toll booths per my idea?

Oh well, tomorrow is then lunes cimarr?n.

*Dominican idioms left purposely untranslated to baffle the uninitiated. ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ahhh, the idiom......

"Lunes zapatero"

This refers to the fact that 30 or 40 or 50 years ago when there were thousands of people making shoes here, the shoemakers would often drink too much on Sundays, and so Mondays (oftentimes called Blue Mondays in the States) were not full work days with less then the majority not showing us as they recovered from their hangovers.

There were no public or private schools in session in Santiago on the Monday following Easter. Gives people time to recover from the holly (sic) days.....:D:D:D

Since I was laid out cold, I cannot comment on traffic, but it should have been much better than normal weekdays.

HB :D:D

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
It still happens all over the world in the shoe industry

Being 100% in the manufacturing side on the shoe industry. I can vouch for what Hillbilly said.

However, instead of 30, 40 or 50 years ago. IT STILL HAPPENS TODAY and not in small numbers either.

I face this problem in Dominican Republic, Mexico and also Puerto Rico. I have faced this in India, UK, Hong Kong.

May this tradition live long.........where?s that vodka.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Lesley D said:
I understand the meaning of "lunes zapatero y lunes cimarr?n" but I was wondering if you know of any English equivalents. Since you posted this I was trying to think of an "equivalent" expression. If you know of any please share.
Sorry I missed your question. Dear HB explained "lunes zapatero" at perfection. Blue Monday would be the English equivalent.

Lunes Cimarr?n refers to the Tuesday after a holiday (official or not), which means that although it is technically a Tuesday it is the first working day of the week, so it feels like a Monday. Cimarr?n is wild, untamed but in this case it loosely means "unexpected". I don't know of any English equivalent.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Pib,

?Listo!- the explanation is as good as it gets. Thanks.

LDG

Pib said:
Sorry I missed your question. Dear HB explained "lunes zapatero" at perfection. Blue Monday would be the English equivalent.

Lunes Cimarr?n refers to the Tuesday after a holiday, which means that although it is technically a Tuesday it is the first working day of the week, so it feels like a Monday. Cimarr?n is wild, untamed but in this case it loosely means "unexpected". I don't know of any English equivalent.