LUPERON On board security

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Sometimes we cannot see the forest through the trees!
Why in the name of common sense would a seasoned sailor and crew leave money (over $5000.00 USD) in a boat in a foreign port ; so they could go to a bar and drink for hours.
Why would not one of the crew stay on board to watch the boat...
To me this is a suspicious report, fr

Reactions: JD Jones

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
My time expired, sorry.
This is a suspicious report from the very beginning....
I know there are robberies in virtually every port in the Caribbean....including Luperon.
I was robbed once in Eastern Canada while on a solo cruise...bastards stole my booze!
My fault. ....... if you have sailed around the world twice one would have learned how to thief proof the vessel and be more cautious of leaving money lay around.
It just doesn't sound right!
I also am acquainted with the Officials the poster mentioned and they are quite good and have been very helpful in times of need.
Not saying nothing happened, just saying labeling all of Luperon as a den of thieves is wrong.
But he did get his goal "to get more followers on his You Tube show''.
Anyway, there is more to this story than we are hearing... maybe even self serving.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I hate to sound cynical but are these guys looking for someone to start them a go fund me page. I agree with Russel something not right here. This doesn't pass the smell test

Reactions: JD Jones

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
More followers lol.....
The guy has 85k subscribers...... video view 6k........ you can buy 6k subscribers for a couple of bucks....

His story doesn't seem fishy to me....
That is only around 300$ per person..... not a lot of money to leave " lying around ", maybe 3 days of expenses ?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
No worries, I know who I am and what I stand for ... if the Administration of Dr1 agree to post defamatory information and a video that is questionable at best... who am I to argue.
Let supposition rule.
Have a nice day.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Having sailed from Canada to Cuba singlehanded, I know all about remote harbours. I have always considered buying another sailboat, but the issue is, either paying $1200 a month an leave it in Cap Cana (not going to happen) or take a huge risk in Bayahibe or Luperon. One of the reasons so many pass us by is security and or price of facilities in comparison to other island nations. Not to mention the corrupt actions or non-actions by police and officials. Hardly a sailor's paradise. I have no doubts that their boat was robbed...no doubts at all. It is unreasonable to think that you cannot leave your boat for a few hours without major concerns about security. It simply shows that we as a nation, have what we have known all along. An incompetent police and security force (for the most part). That is not about to get any better, especially with the dire situation we have been thrown into. Expect to take extra precautions in your day to day life.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
As a sailor and liveaboard who makes Luperon home port when we are home, I see a few things that stand out.. "Very Friendly type who cruised around the neighborhood in the dinghy introducing themselves".. "Received information from one of the livaboard "Locals" about the bar for that night.." "Didn't touch anything else including very expensive electronics and went straight for the cash". "Footprints shown in the video were bare feet.. Local Dominican residents wear shoes.. Boaties don't".. "Boat wasn't tore up while looking for the cash.. Did someone know where it was?" My biggest problem is why was the boat left unattended and unlocked?? Pretty stupid if you ask me.. Last thing is that he was robbed on the 16th not the 17th. Maybe he just forgot.. But that's when he got a response from a Fayboo guy stating he was first to be robbed 3 years ago and put it into the video.. It's below highlighted.. Ya see, I know about the FB group he is talking about..

Boaties know how to stay safe and keep from getting robbed at an anchorage. This guy broke all of the rules.. Do things like this happen randomly? yes but not too much. They are usually caused by the victim in one way or another and in this case, I believe this guy caused his own problem IF he wasn't in on it from the get go.. How do I say that?? CREW.. Did he just pay them and they were leaving? Possibly.. Does he or would he have to pay them again? No.. Just air fare unless they already have their tickets and usually crew have their return tickets when showing up for a gig.. This is of course speculative on my part.

Why did I write the last part? Because EVERY serious Captain knows that you don't come into a new anchorage that you have checked out and know there has been theft problems and leave the boat unattended.. You ALWAYS have someone on watch!! What do you think 'Crew" is for??

Sergiy German

March 16 ·
Public

v_MQ4bBP4g8.png

We just arrived, went to the land and our boat was robbed. That people stole only money. But quite big amount. Very warm welcome.

Reactions: Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I suppose if I did not know some of the background about this matter I would have been silent as I am with most posts.
It is too bad that the Poster did not mention that his first meeting with the Commondente and the Director of Tourism was because he skipped out of paying his Supermecardo bill in POP ,,, and the People from Ocean World came on behalf of the Merchant to collect the $7,500+-DOP dollar delinquent bill.
He did finally pay the bill under the supervision of the Officials.

How is that for credibility?
Now I am finished and could care less how this presentation is carried on the media.
Assume nothing..... enjoy the day!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I suppose if I did not know some of the background about this matter I would have been silent as I am with most posts.
It is too bad that the Poster did not mention that his first meeting with the Commondente and the Director of Tourism was because he skipped out of paying his Supermecardo bill in POP ,,, and the People from Ocean World came on behalf of the Merchant to collect the $7,500+-DOP dollar delinquent bill.
He did finally pay the bill under the supervision of the Officials.

How is that for credibility?
Now I am finished and could care less how this presentation is carried on the media.
Assume nothing..... enjoy the day!

Sometimes, everything is not as it seems to be.. Good Post Russell..

Reactions: Ecoman1949

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
One time when I was a child I lost 19 cents that I had saved for a long time. I told my father and he said "" if you were smart enough to save it; why were you so stupid to loose it?'' He was right.... I failed to keep it safe... but that is child stuff; that I have learned from and it helped my future considerations ,

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Having sailed from Canada to Cuba singlehanded, I know all about remote harbours. I have always considered buying another sailboat, but the issue is, either paying $1200 a month an leave it in Cap Cana (not going to happen) or take a huge risk in Bayahibe or Luperon. One of the reasons so many pass us by is security and or price of facilities in comparison to other island nations. Not to mention the corrupt actions or non-actions by police and officials. Hardly a sailor's paradise. I have no doubts that their boat was robbed...no doubts at all. It is unreasonable to think that you cannot leave your boat for a few hours without major concerns about security. It simply shows that we as a nation, have what we have known all along. An incompetent police and security force (for the most part). That is not about to get any better, especially with the dire situation we have been thrown into. Expect to take extra precautions in your day to day life.

I disagree with your post. Luperon is a great anchorage and an excellent hurricane hole. Yes it is poor like most all of Santo Domingo, but you can use that to your advantage. I've never had anything stolen from my boat while anchored in Luperon. My wife and I live in Puerto Plata so our boat is by herself for weeks at a time. I'll be straight.. I'm more worried about some of the other boaties robbing me than I am of the locals... I have a security system installed that is unbelievably loud.. I make sure that the other boaties know I have it too.. I do this by turning it on so they can hear it until their ears start to bleed, and I love for them to talk about it with others as they complain about me. The biggest thing that I do is pay a local Dominicano that I know to keep an eye on my boat.. To me, it's not a lot of money and a lot less than a slip at a marina, but to him it is an easy way to make some good, easy pesos.. We have an agreement. If anything is missing, he doesn't get paid. He and his family are free to use the dinghy and even go out to the boat to swim and spend the day if they would like. Off limits is the captains quarters that has an additional lock for which he doesn't have a key for. Other then that, he has the keys to the boat and knows how to disable and arm the security system. He also knows the solar / wind power system and turns over and runs the engine weekly. BTW, if the security system was to go off, he would hear it at his home. I don't worry about being robbed in Luperon.. I also want to add that I have no issues at all with the local Commandante.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
He said he was "robbed", which indicates to me he was a victim of violence, I watched the entire clip to ascertain he was a victim of a "theft". The entire story should have simply been "we all got drunk and lost some money"

Reactions: Russell

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Without going into details, we have been handling claims in the international maritime industry for more than 35 years including the last 15 years in the DR from our office in Santo Domingo which has been involved in that sector since 1945 when it was first appointed as claims agent by Lloyd's of London. The security situation in Luperon has given rise to many similar claims over the years and is well known to experienced sailors many of whom "learned the hard way" about it and more than one or two who didn't learn and got hit more than once. Our advise to all who request advance notice from us is exactly the same as has been given by some posters above; "don't leave your vessel unattended, don't leave cash and valuables open and visible, be wary of inviting strangers on to your boat". Live aboard sailors are quite a social community, sometimes more welcoming than others, but the same rules about personal safety and security apply equally on water as they do on land in any strange ports of call. Fair winds and calm seas...........

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
that's a wacky story comrade, so the "thief" had bare wet feet, why? did he swim over? not good piloting a dinghy? didn't have his sea legs and fell overboard?
.........and the boat owners don't hide their cash? who doesn't hide cash? it would take a whole day to find my stash.

plus never had any problems in Luperon, must be an inside job. better check your crew Sergy.

I call BS!

Reactions: etolw

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I thought BS seeing the ...just entered the broken into boat. They had been at sea. The galley and boat have all sorts of stuff on countertops that NO sailer would have out under sail. How Bout those drinks in hand and on counter. You put 5K in that spot? Did not follow customs norms waiting to be cleared? How did they know the mooring to pick up?

Totally bogus.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
that's a wacky story comrade, so the "thief" had bare wet feet, why? did he swim over? not good piloting a dinghy? didn't have his sea legs and fell overboard?
.........and the boat owners don't hide their cash? who doesn't hide cash? it would take a whole day to find my stash.

plus never had any problems in Luperon, must be an inside job. better check your crew Sergy.

I call BS!
The wet footprints he put in video was in the mid afternoon; the alleged theft was at night.... must be some wet water to survive 18 hours without drying up.