México Visa

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I want to go to Mexico next summer with my Dominican GF and daughter for her Quinceañera. They have passports but they will need visas.
How cumbersome is the process?
From someone who has done this trip.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I want to go to Mexico next summer with my Dominican GF and daughter for her Quinceañera. They have passports but they will need visas.

It all boils down to economics.
If they have a sound financial background, the visa is a sure thing.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It all boils down to economics.
If they have a sound financial background, the visa is a sure thing.
What is considered "sound financial background" and would that pass on down to the boyfriend? I would assume no, but...can the boyfriend become a guarantor ?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Good luck as far as treatment is concerned. There is a rumor that the Mexican embassy makes hard for Dominicans to get a tourist visa and once in Mexico they tend to check "closely" anyone with a Dominican passport, especially at the airport in Mexico City.

Dominicans aren't the only ones to get a "special" treatment at Mexican airports. I hear they are worse with Colombians and are keen in deporting some Colombians back to Colombia as soon as they arrive at the airport in Mexico City, often times for a BS reason.

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Good luck as far as treatment is concerned. There is a rumor that the Mexican embassy makes hard for Dominicans to get a tourist visa and once in Mexico they tend to check "closely" anyone with a Dominican passport, especially at the airport in Mexico City.

Dominicans aren't the only ones to get a "special" treatment at Mexican airports. I hear they are worse with Colombians and are keen in deporting some Colombians back to Colombia as soon as they arrive at the airport in Mexico City, often times for a BS reason.
Mexicans Hate competition ;)

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Done that, with a Dominican lady friend...but it was easy as she already had a tourist visa for the USA........

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

Could it also be pressure from US immigration/homeland security as many use Mexico as a transit country to the US ?

Reactions: cavok

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Could it also be pressure from US immigration/homeland security as many use Mexico as a transit country to the US ?
I do not think that is the reason. In Costa Rica and in different cities in Colombia there are various notorious gangs made up of Dominicans. In San Jose, they are particularly bad. Also, these gangs exist in NY and Boston . I imagine that the Mexican authorities are well aware of this situation and it may influence their behaviour.

Reactions: aarhus

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There is almost nowhere for a Dominican to go to at present without having to quarantine,with or without visa. Even for foreigners living in the DR, Americans and Canadians are only the few that can return to their homeland without quarantining. The DR is on the red list nearly everywhere. Mexico is the logical place to go as it has entry restrictions much the same as the DR ,none except a visa for some.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm not sure about Mexico, but Dominican culture(barrio type) and Costa Rican culture didn't mix very well. They're not too popular in CR.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm not sure about Mexico, but Dominican culture(barrio type) and Costa Rican culture didn't mix very well. They're not too popular in CR.
What is Barrio type Dominican culture? Please expand.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Go to a barrio. You'll see.
Aren’t both Santo Domingo and even Santiago a lot bigger than San Jose. It’s more of a city culture I think. CR being more provincial.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
A bit off subject but in response. San Jose is smaller than SD or Santiago but is certainly not provincial as it has many great restaurants and clubs and theatres. The areas that more equate with the DR are on the Caribbean side and not on the Pacific side . In San Jose there are various areas close to down town that are a bit like dangerous SD barrios , around the major bus station for example. I simply think there is a Dominican delinquent class that has gone to other places to attack and rob and sometimes murder people. They are bad people. and are known to authorities and travelers. I suppose Mexican immigration authorities vet Dominican visitors just a little closer than others and probably the same situation in South American countries. I never mention to authorities when traveling that I am resident in the DR.