MABE - Is this a good Refrigerator for about $16,000 Pesos

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I thought MABE (a Mexican company) produced appliances for third world conditions with cost and ability to withstand bad power conditions dominate.

I was told that MABE can survive low/fluctuating voltage areas much better than first world brands. That's their market.

If you have good, clean, stable power get a pricey US or Euro brand. If you have crappy power like most poorer Dominicans, get a MABE.

Correct, made in Mexico.

They also make a lot of GE products used in the USA.
If it's GE kitchen product in the DR, more than likely made by Mabe in Mexico.

It's also very popular in Colombia as it's a good price and can take a beating.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Kindly explain to me about the range and the issues you have had. Thanks so much.

Well I have a Mabe Stove. real Garbage , the Small size but top of the line.
Paid RD$15,800 for it. 1 MOnth after the "warranty" and during cooking of a Pollo
The Door glass exploded. Glass everywhere inside the oven. On my research trying to get it fixed
Of course it was 3 weeks out of warranty
so no service , I tried to buy the replacement glass for it , forget it. I tried to buy a Door for it. Forget that too !
They have no real service depot and no one that cares. they have what seems to be a girl answering a phone in SD and passing me on to that Big plce down there that I cannot remember the name of. Hours on the phone calling and calling to be told by about the 6th or 7th person I spoke to that they cannot get the part.

Found out the stove was made in ECUADOR, and the service center is in Santiago, CHILE ! , I even spoke with GE in Canada who owns the rights to Mabe in Canada and they also could not help.

Other parts of the Stove are working okay, I have managed to find a repairman who got a Piece of glass from another stove but it does not fit well . And the stove gets really hot when using the oven so I am planning to Sell it for peanuts after 18 months and buy a real brand. They try to sell the Sizzle, Push button start and S/S finish . I should have learned 8 years ago when my first fridge here inn the DR (also a Mabe) Had to be repaired about 5 times and then I gave it to my cleaning person. I won't bore you with those details. I just assumed that was because I bought cheap , If I recall it was only $RD13,000.

I suppose if there are no issues , you will be okay, but warranty service you can forget it. You will be left to fend for yourself. And I did buy it from a BIG seller Inoa and Reyes. they don't care either. Chased them for months ! I will never return there either.
I wouldn't touch Mabe with a 50 foot pole again.

Dec 26, 2011
The exploding of the door glass on an oven is not unique to Mabe. I had a cheap oven(American or something like that) do that in the place I had in Villa Mella. Very scary. Something about gas and ovens in the RD don't mix. The temperature controls are sketchy. You'll notice very few Dominicans have them.

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
I Agree , but the mabe service is Brutally bad. I was willing to pay and STILL could not get the part for a 1 Year old stove. I even asked to special order, fired off emails and called 3 countries ! No organization at all, not just here , I even posted my experience on their facebook page and was told it was not allowed, only fun "Mabe" stuff ! LOL I was a bit perturbed because I consciously selected the higher grade to avoid those issues. Thwarted again ! LOL

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
You know how it is here !
Choose your battles , CAREFULLY !
Or you will end up in the asylum ! Along with the rest of them !
took a couple of years to figure that out but on my 9th year so you learn the "tricks of the trade"

Dec 26, 2011
You know how it is here !
Choose your battles , CAREFULLY !
Or you will end up in the asylum ! Along with the rest of them !
took a couple of years to figure that out but on my 9th year so you learn the "tricks of the trade"

Kinda sucks when you want to make a pernil asado with nice cuerito crujiente.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I have a six burner Mabe cook stove. The problem with oven overheating with my oven was due to the orifice size. Most, if not all, stoves manufactured by Mabe use an natural gas orifice; the DR uses mainly LP gas. There is less BTU with natural gas thus the orifice drill size is too large for LP gas. I could not find the correct sized orifice so I used JB Weld to close the orifice hole; just before the patch hardened I used a very small sewing needle to make a smaller hole in the orifice. I can now regulate my oven. I don't recommend this unless you are "handyperson".

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
In the DR as in most places, smaller orifices are better. :)

Many Dominicans complain that their stove or dryer uses too much propane, they have no idea they needs to change the orifice.

If you pay for your electricity, get the most energy efficient refrigerator you can afford. Keep it filled, with jugs of ice if possible. Keep it clean and off the wall.

I have a six burner Mabe cook stove. The problem with oven overheating with my oven was due to the orifice size. Most, if not all, stoves manufactured by Mabe use an natural gas orifice; the DR uses mainly LP gas. There is less BTU with natural gas thus the orifice drill size is too large for LP gas. I could not find the correct sized orifice so I used JB Weld to close the orifice hole; just before the patch hardened I used a very small sewing needle to make a smaller hole in the orifice. I can now regulate my oven. I don't recommend this unless you are "handyperson".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My mind is blank as to the stove brand we bought at La Sirena - Aroma? No problems with it at all in several years. Oven has 1-2-3-4-5 markings, so I bought a cheap oven thermometer. Only complaint I have with it is that it came with only one oven shelf.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
*need

Many Dominicans complain that their stove or dryer uses too much propane, they have no idea they needs to change the orifice.

If you pay for your electricity, get the most energy efficient refrigerator you can afford. Keep it filled, with jugs of ice if possible. Keep it clean and off the wall.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Well said!