Magic Jack in DR?

Chellow

Jul 27, 2006
You are better off with NetTalk, you don,t need o have your computer on, NetTALK DUO its a Magicjack type of VOIP dongle but unlike Magicjack , doesnt need a computer and runs directly from a modem or router. for about the same price, per month.
http://www.nettalk.com/competition

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Have used Majic Jack for 2 years in several countries without a problem.
My best friend has been using Netalk for a couple of months from DR and it works like a charm.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Hey the online chat help with these guys is great, very quick and well informative. Impressed!!

However I am far from impressed by the price difference from here and the US. USA $39.95, DR $RD2,500.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hey the online chat help with these guys is great, very quick and well informative. Impressed!!

However I am far from impressed by the price difference from here and the US. USA $39.95, DR $RD2,500.

The people selling them here most likely bought them for the $40 US, so they have to make a profit.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've used MJ for two years when I travel to DR and need to make a call back to the states. I travel with my netbook, but now that I might get a tablet (ipad, samsung or viewsonic) I don't think MJ will work with any tablets, right? I guess I will look into the Google talk. Has anyone used it on a tablet?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Is there a certain internet speed/size/company that would be minimum or advised to use with the majic jack?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is there a certain internet speed/size/company that would be minimum or advised to use with the majic jack?

The common problems people have with MJ is when they have a very slow upload. I have used it for years and it is clear as a regular call or better. But I have decent internet. You don't need blazing speed, just not a crawl going up.

Also if you get this program you will not have to shut other things off when you use it. This program is really good. It looks complicated, but you do not need to do anything but get it. Try it, it is free to try.

cFosSpeed - faster Internet access with Traffic Shaping - Internet-Accelerator + Ping optimizer - cFos Software GmbH

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You can buy one one Ebay for $28-$32 with free shipping in the USA - if you don't have a mail forwarder in Miami, find someone who does and have it shipped there. They weigh almost nothing.

AE

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
So what speed do you have to make it work perfectly.
Can't see a free trial option by the way, but if it helps, for a few $$ is worth it I expect.

Anyone else got an opinion on this FosSpeed-ping-accelerator thingy?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would say about 25-30 up and about the same down will do the trick quite well.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well, I could do with a little help. Everyone is out of magic jacks, radio shack, omega tech none in stock. There was one place but he was pricing RD$700 more than omega tech, so unless that is my only option I'd rather not.
Anyone know another supplier?

Hpluv

Feb 24, 2009
When in the DR, I use simadomvoip to make my calls. It's a pay as you use service.
Calls to US and Canada are 1.4 cents per minute and rates to other countries are cheap.
Anyone wanting to try it, can go to Simadom Voip and install it.
Then email info@simadom.com for a trial account.
In the DR, payment is made via an account at Banco Popular. Soon there will be a paypal account for payments.