MAGIC JACK

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
can't believe people actually use and pay for MJ when google voice is free and you can make and receive calls with hangout. I have thrown out my MJ units a long time ago. I have been using google voice on my cell for centuries now.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

I have one available free that I let expire in July, 2015.
It´s a MagicJack Plus purchased in December, 2012.

Perhaps it could be re-activated for what ever fee they may charge.
(I do not know if it can be re-activated)

I have been using Google Voice for years.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

I have one available free that I let expire in July, 2015.
It´s a MagicJack Plus purchased in December, 2012.

Perhaps it could be re-activated for what ever fee they may charge.
(I do not know if it can be re-activated)

I have been using Google Voice for years.
i think once you activate it with your email then it's almost impossible to transfer to another email. That was the case when MJ first came out.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have google voice on my cell phone linked to my hangout and I also have it linked to a voip box at home to a wireless phone.
I have thrown away 3 MJ units in garbage years ago.
google voice goes with me where ever I am. It's sort of like having 2 lines in one phone. I have my google voice via app and a local sim number via sim card.
AZB

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I have google voice on my cell phone linked to my hangout and I also have it linked to a voip box at home to a wireless phone.
I have thrown away 3 MJ units in garbage years ago.
google voice goes with me where ever I am. It's sort of like having 2 lines in one phone. I have my google voice via app and a local sim number via sim card.
AZB

Its the original number you've linked GV to a USA or DR number?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its the original number you've linked GV to a USA or DR number?

google voice assigns you a USA number then I linked it to an american number (at the time I had magic jack). So once the number is linked to an american number then you are done. That linked number is of no use now because I pick up my calls via hangouts app. So the linked number is not even activated anymore as I don't have the magicjack unit anymore.
but you can link it to a number of a family member in usa and then just forward all calls to hangouts app. just un-check the american linked number so that person won't get any calls forwarded from your google voice number.
i know it sounds confusing but it's really simple.
I also have a USA number for incoming calls only , from callcentric.com. I have that callcentric account configured on my VOIP box and connected a wireless phone to it. Now when someone calls my google voice number, my cell phone hangouts app and my voip box ring at the same time. I can pick up the call on either one.
AZB

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
google voice assigns you a USA number then I linked it to an american number (at the time I had magic jack). So once the number is linked to an american number then you are done. That linked number is of no use now because I pick up my calls via hangouts app. So the linked number is not even activated anymore as I don't have the magicjack unit anymore.
but you can link it to a number of a family member in usa and then just forward all calls to hangouts app. just un-check the american linked number so that person won't get any calls forwarded from your google voice number.
i know it sounds confusing but it's really simple.
I also have a USA number for incoming calls only , from callcentric.com. I have that callcentric account configured on my VOIP box and connected a wireless phone to it. Now when someone calls my google voice number, my cell phone hangouts app and my voip box ring at the same time. I can pick up the call on either one.
AZB

I get it. So, you linked number is/was a Magic Jack issued number?

Doesn't that create a problem with that number since you no longer own it?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I get it. So, you linked number is/was a Magic Jack issued number?

Doesn't that create a problem with that number since you no longer own it?

just use google voice and see how easy it is. you can link a number just to activate google voice and then you can blow up that number with plastic explosives and you still have a functioning google voice with hangout.
azb