Major companies back Santiago development, in spite of the pandemic

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-en-Santiago-El-Caribe-e1602512433740.jpeg

The economic downturn caused by the Covid-19 has not stopped major entities from continuing their expansion in the city of Santiago de los Caballeros, the second largest in the Dominican Republic. All of this points to more growth for the region. A report in El Caribe looks into the recent large investments in supermarkets, banks and private health centers. Immense parking garages are going up, and quite a few high rise apartment building in lots formerly occupied by single-family dwellings.

For example, CCN’s Supermercados Nacional chain has opened not one but two new large stores. The original store on the Estrella Sadhala avenues was followed fairly recently by the Paseo, a multi-store mall on the Juan Pablo Duarte Avenue, next to Villa Olga. Besides operating the Jumbo store in Las Colinas, the chain is opening another store on Rafael Vidal Avenue and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I think Abel has a lot to do with this. It's pretty impressive how fast things are happening in Santiago.

Reactions: chrisrose97

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Abel cleaned up Santiago and put order to the chaos. I spent a year out of Santiago and the next it was a completely improved thing. And that was 2019.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Abel cleaned up Santiago and put order to the chaos. I spent a year out of Santiago and the next it was a completely improved thing. And that was 2019.
Indeed he did. Hardly a day would pass without an article in the news about something or other he was doing.

Some of the videos of him walking in the streets and engaging people for good (or less than stellar) actions are impressive. He's definitely not your typical run of the mill sit in his office type of politician.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
He ran for re-election and won as a member of the PLD.
That says a lot about how much good he has done for
this city and how well-liked he is.
I noticed a real change back in 2016 about one month
after he took office. I was living in La Joya at the time
and he immediately had all of the trash piles blocking
the intersections removed and street lights fixed.