Major Marmite Catastrophe..

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Kiwicanuck said:
Why do you think the most famous Rugby team in the World are called the ALL Blacks.

Its reported during there unbeaten 1907 tour of the British Isles they covered there bodies in ( you got it, I can't say it as I would then be a traitor ) and then did the Haka and scared the hell out of all there opposition.

You have no idea what my imagination did to me thinking of a rugbyplayer covered in Marmite. Oooooh Boy!

And they are not the most famous!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This thread is like the Commonwealth conference, only much more fun... where are the Aussies?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Anna Coniglio said:
Chris I wasn't going to bring an already opened jar but if you don't mind two tads missing from it I will certainly bring it with me.

Anna, I'll eat out of your marmite jar any time ;) Unless you get hooked on the stuff in the mean time..

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
I'm sorry

I'm sitting here with a toasted cheese and marmite sandwich reading these posts. I'm feeling extremely bad as a friend is flying out today from UK and has taken loads of goodies for our family ... if only I had known sooner! Just for those who don't know 'Vegemite' is not the same - don't be fooled

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Chris said:
.....I still have an unopened jar in the kitchen cupboard .......

.......ditto

Chris said:
......I have a little jar somewhere on the kitchen counter and that is what I use.......

.......ditto

Chris said:
.....So, tonight, I find that the 'unopened' jar has been eaten.....

......thank god that hasn't happened to me, ........ but i do find some bastard's been at my last jar of branston pickle.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Is this stuff addictive? I'm liking this marmite more and more not only with eggs but it's also good in a roasted red pepper sandwich.;)

I was almost convinced it had cured my arthritis until the temperature dropped to -19 on Tues. :laugh:

Using it sparingly with no salt butter.

Don't worry girls we seem to have an endless supply here in Canada so I'll still bring lots down.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Another convert! We'll take over the world at this rate.
When is your next visit, Anna? It will be really nice to get some Marm... erm I mean, meet you after all this time.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, Anna - we've met a few times! so, just bring the Marmite OK :classic:

Sweet! Glad you like it. It is addictive and it goes with everything. Mmmmm... I can taste the roasted red peppers.

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Careful now...

I few years ago Pib and I were visiting my family in Denmark and sought out the best stocked supermarket in Copenhagen to hopefully be able to purchase some Marmite and surprise Chiri on our return to the DR.
After searching everywhere except the butchers dept, we finally asked an employee if he could help us find it (if they had it at all). We searched again because he meant he'd seen it somewhere. He finally gave up and led us to what must have been the senior employee. We asked if they carried Marmite and if they did, where could we find it.
She gave us a strange look and said: "Marmite!? We haven't carried Marmite since the big Marmite-poisoning-scandal in the 80's." :lick:

Luckily my cousin had recently moved to London. She heard of our trouble and brought us a big jar for the family reunion later that year.

So far Chiri hasn't reported any poisoning...............

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bok said:
So far Chiri hasn't reported any poisoning...............

[psst!] the real Chiri keeled over all those years ago. This and everything else is being written by an evil impostor.[/psst!]

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Marmite poisoning?

Hopefully not. I think the jar was sealed well. I don't think the Brits hate us enough to poison us yet. :laugh:

Anyway I'll be there ma?ana, that's Dominican for "soon" but definitely not today.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
so why did y'all wait until AFTER I'd left home to tell me marmite was available in Canada!
Crikey I could have brought down a bunch as I had half a suitcase and 20 lbs of luggage allowance left!!!
To top it off I just got internet access and a friend arrived from my hometown today who could have brought you some!!!
Oh well....if Junior comes down in January I'll ask if he can locate some in our local supermarkets (with the # of Brits in town I'm sure one of them must carry it!) and bring a few jars with him.....

bachataluv

Aug 16, 2005
Noooooooo!!!! Forced to eat nasty Marmite as a kid.

I recall that when I was growing up back home, Marmite was a staple for breakfast on bread or crackers. My mouth and eyes would always water each and everytime I had to partake of it.

Oh those horrible memories. I hated it so. So salty and gross. My nanny made us eat it because it was supposed to be good for us.

I vowed never to eat it when I grew up and I never have.

I spotted it on a shelf in some store here in Brooklyn. Don't recall which store.

Very interesting that people are still eating this stuff and enjoying it.