Malaria in Punta Cana

lupos0_1

Oct 24, 2005
Hi there, great looking forum you have here.

I am planning to go to Punta Cana in November and was wondering if there is a need to take malaria tablets??? If so, I won't be going as the missus is preggers.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks

Reece

Sep 8, 2005
Hello there
Im off with my bird and her parents to sosua in nov, i had the same question,i had many many replies saying that it was completly unnescesary as people i have spoke to have lived there for 14 yrs plus and never heard of any 1 outside of haiti with maleria, I personally are not going to make be taking anything for maleria maybe some insect repelant but thats it.
P.S its only the uk thats says we should take maleria tablets, if you look at other countries such as the US this is not the case. I did have tyfoid (spelling) and hep A injection.

strawberrru

Oct 5, 2005
This is what the cdc has to say:
"Haiti: All areas, except no risk in cruise port of Labadee (Labadie). Dominican Republic: Rural, with highest risk in provinces bordering Haiti. In addition, risk in all areas of La Altagracia Province, including resort areas. There is no risk for malaria on the other islands listed." (http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/caribean.htm#malariarisk).

my opinion is that if you are just going to be at a resort or in the larger towns in the central and eastern part of the country, you would not need to take antimalaria pills. i would only take them if you are extremely concerned. you need to remember that antimalaria pills aren't 100% guaranteed.

antimalaria pills are not suggested for long term use and therefore foreigners living there are not taking them.

try using strong bug repellent (that contains DEET or Picaridin) instead of the pills if you are really worried. i would check out www.cdc.gov/travel because it has a lot of information!
-Keri

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Just to be clear, Punta Cana has had several cases of Malaria this year. HOWEVER, almost all of them were in CapCana where there are hundreds of Haitians working, coming back and forth between Haiti and the DR, and it never spread outside the project. I'm right next to CapCana in Punta Cana Resort & Club and we haven't had any malaria cases as of yet. Keep in mind, this was all back in Feb-March and I haven't heard of any new cases since then. So, my answer would be, yes, there has been Malaria in the area, but currently it is not a problem and I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on spending your vacation in a Haitian work camp... ;)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well Choloroquine is inexpensive, well tolerated and I not contraindicated for pregnancy (however Doxycycline IS prohibited, costs more and you have to take it every day as well).

Just 500 mg a week for the week before, the week there and 4 weeks after you don't really notice it.

I have been on it weekly since about May. Bitter though, more bitter than you can imagine.

The guy going to Sosua doesnt have to worry about chloroquine, it is a long way from La Altagracia.

Best solution is to seek medical advice of your physician!

I also leave in 3 weeks and will be monitoring but as of Saturday my physician said no to Choloroquine prescription.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Hlywud said:
The guy going to Sosua doesnt have to worry about chloroquine, it is a long way from La Altagracia.

Best solution is to seek medical advice of your physician!

I also leave in 3 weeks and will be monitoring but as of Saturday my physician said no to Choloroquine prescription.

Wud has the best advice for us all, "seek medical advice of your physician". Better yet is request your physician to refer you to a travel clinic, a clinic that specializes in travel medicine. This type of clinic will be up to date on travel alerts, risk, and the preventive measures - if necessary.

As an almost full time resident of Punta Cana, PJT does take reasonable successful measures to avoid mosquito contact; his residence is screened in, he stays clear of areas of standing water, he wears protective clothing when necessary, and uses repellant when necessary. He also is aware of the times and conditions when mosquitos are active just to avoid the little buggers. PJT does not take malaria pills because of the great length of time he is on the island. Extended use of these pills over this long period can be hazardous to his health, so his wife says.

Regards,
PJT

Nicaury31884

Aug 18, 2005
lupos0_1 said:
Hi there, great looking forum you have here.

I am planning to go to Punta Cana in November and was wondering if there is a need to take malaria tablets??? If so, I won't be going as the missus is preggers.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks

I just came back from Higuey, which is also in the La Altagracia province. I had no problems. You do not need to take any preventative measures other than bug spray. Don't worry, just go and have a great time.