Mangu Minute - Special Election Episode

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Robert and I (with Mr. Lu joining us) are resurrecting (intentional word considering the date) the Mangu Minute for a special episode about the 2008 DR Presidential Elections. We're taping next weekend and it will be available shortly thereafter. Actually, it'll probably be available even quicker considering it's now commercial-free (insert your own joke here)!

We will explain exactly who the major candidates are, their campaign positions, and what we can all expect on May 16th (election day).

If there are any particular topics that you'd like us to discuss, just let us know right here on this thread or, if you'd prefer to remain anonymous, send either of us a PM. In addition, send us your shout-outs and we'll include them at the end of the podcast.

We're a little rusty, but I think with the proper beverages and our new broadcast member (Mr. Lu) it will be nothing less than "Mangu Magic".

Comments welcome,

RHM

May 12, 2005
Excellent. I am looking foward to the return of the Minute. Why no commercials? Lost your Helados Bon endorsement???

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If there are any particular topics that you'd like us to discuss, just let us know right here on this thread

RHM
Yeah...
Welcome back.
How about just telling us who to vote for, so that we don't have to waste any brain energy figuring it out for ourselves.
Dominicans don't have to think about it, as they simply have to calculate which party gave them more Brugal, so it ain't fair that us gringos would have to think any harder that they do, and there ain't nobody giving us Brugal, so if you could just do the thinking for us, it would be much appreciated.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting topic...

I am particularly interested (puzzled?) by the level of corruption in all parties.
Since the Hippolito years, I was under the impression that the PRD was the worst, the most corrupt... But I am starting to wonder how PLD can compare, and if it really makes a difference...

-At this point, will it change anything for the Dominican folks or for us, residents, whether Leonel or Miguel Vargas gets to seat in the Palacio Nacional after August the 16th ???

-Will any of them & their respective crew do anything else than what we are getting used to (ie. stealing from public funds fr their own private use...) ???

Anyway, since you guys are up for some homework, I will read (or listen to) your feedback with great interest.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They both steal, that appears to be obvious. The PRD had to share the wealth amongst lots of party members and the PLD within the inner circle. At least under the PLD we actually can see some results of the public works, have investors looking to invest here and don't have to deal with the peso acting like a roller coaster.

I'll take the Leonel any day over Miguel Vargas. The thought of having the PRD back in power is VERY scary!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
They both steal, that appears to be obvious. The PRD had to share the wealth amongst lots of party members and the PLD within the inner circle. At least under the PLD we actually can see some results of the public works, have investors looking to invest here and don't have to deal with the peso acting like a roller coaster.

I'll take the Leonel any day over Miguel Vargas. The thought of having the PRD back in power is VERY scary!

Robert, my dear friend, podcasting is like foreplay...you never give away all of your tricks before the show.

:)

RHM

May 12, 2005
What's up with my boy Candelier?? Mano Duro. Candelier para Presidente. I have actually seen quite a few signs here in NY with his name on it.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
it will be nothing less than "Mangu Magic".

Thought association being what it is this led me to mushrooms ;)..........and I wondered if you could address the role of the drugs industry in the upcoming elections? Which candidates of all parties (even the small ones) might be benefitting from this industry or its spin off, money laundering and what advice you might have for the electorate as to how it should expose or combat this?

All the while protecting yourselves, of course.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Who would be better for the DR on the world stage. After all - LF met the Queen - and do the Dominicans " on the street " see the benefit of a higher profile leader?

Great that the MM is back - I really enjoyed this last year! THanks guys.....

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
What about Leonel's big infrastructure/construction projects that may not get completed during this legislature. It is my understanding that the loans financing these are given under strict rules nowadays (IMF)... but... is there a chance that Vargas could bail out without completing them? There are more then enough construction ruins in this country often caused by new governments completely abandoning previous plans and commitments.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Despite what some people on here say, my wife being in the education business for the past 15 years, thinks and has seen positive advances from the PLD in regards to schools, certainly not enough, but far more than under the PRD. She still believes Balaguer was more visionary and a better planner than Leonel, whom she knows personally and like. She hates all politicians equally though.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Can you vote???

Rocky brought up an interesting point. Most of us who live here (or visit frequently) follow Dominican politics either out of habit or for fun. But only citizens can actually vote in the elections.

I'm curious as to how many DR1ers are eligible to vote on May 16th?

RHM

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I'm curious as to how many DR1ers are eligible to vote on May 16th?
So far, my wife is (so I get to influence her vote ;) )... I am planning to get my citizenship, not so much to vote, but to avoid the hassle of renewing the residency every 2 years...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Thank You

I will head over to the DR1 studios at about noon today to do the show with Rob and Mr. Lu.

All of the questions on this this thread will be featured on the show. If you think of something later just send a PM directly to Rob or I. We'll be taping between 12 and 1 and will see your messages.

Thanks for the participation!

RHM