Many Dominicans Returning From Europe and US With Government Help

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
since you assert that the poster does not have access to the statistics, and is therefore full of it, can you tell us YOUR source of the statistics regarding East Indians and Pakistanis?[/QUOTE
Immigration and Visa Fraud | Aware Yourself with Immigration Discrepancies | RiskDiscovered
There are lots of other sources but you can try and prove me wrong.

i see where it says that for every 100 Pakistani applicants, 15 have a red flag. the part i am still looking for is the one that says that 15% is higher than the incidence of immigration fraud among Dominicans applying for an American visa. can you point me to it? just copy and paste it, thank you.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i see where it says that for every 100 Pakistani applicants, 15 have a red flag. the part i am still looking for is the one that says that 15% is higher than the incidence of immigration fraud among Dominicans applying for an American visa. can you point me to it? just copy and paste it, thank you.

Couldn't find anything on Dominican scans. Must be low on the radar.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
Recently visited Ecuador and they are in similar situation, but encouraging their people to return. They get decent housing,
financial assistance, medical, and jobs as Ecuadorian return from Spain.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I feel bad for the ones who legally got papers and entered the country to work. I feel bad for those who crossed the borders illegally. They did the same thing that the white people did from Europe for hundreds of years which is ok. They entered the USA when it was not theirs and began to work and act like it was theirs.

Incorrect! European immigrants (along with most Asian immigrants during the 20 th century) entered the U.S. LEGALLY. In the case of the Europeans... going through Ellis Island, and getting resident status. They didn't swim across the freakin' Atlantic Ocean.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
The DR is actually very high on the US radar list. USCIS doesn't publicly release stats like that but the DR is high on Border Protection publications.

That said I think we need to step back and look at some of the reasons for it before we condemn all Dominicans.

This is a U.S. only list. Global visa fraud is much higher for people from India, Pakistan, China, Russia, Brazil, etc. DR is not really on the global list. Google search visa fraud.

So why the U.S.? For one the U.S. list changes all the time as they will crack down on a country or group of countries like when they focused on India/Pakistan/China/Brazil in 2010. That makes it harder for people from those countries to commit visa fraud as the U.S. officials look more closely. Then other countries can move up the list as they move down. Give it a few more years and see what the list looks like. It will be completely different. Exactly the point that a lot of these stats are statistically a bunch of BS or however it was previously said and you can't make more of it than it is.

Also, I stand by my earlier assertion. Many people come here specifically looking for the bar girls. Just like in Thailand and the Philippines. If you are looking for a bar girl and think you will fall in love with one you are looking to be scammed. While Thailand and Philippines have more of that traffic than we do in the DR, the DR is closer to the U.S. Maybe a list in Germany would say the same about Thailand. I'm just offering a comparison with that, I don't know anything about what Germany's government thinks about anything.

The bar girls who are waiting for you know nothing about you except that you are from another place and might have money. So what do you think they expect? People don't go to places like Nigeria looking for bar girls so of course there will be fewer of those scams from Nigeria but Nigeria has enough of its own scams to keep up. DR, U.S. or anywhere in the world - pick up someone half your age at a bar and you are opening the door to trouble.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
LOL... I don't know about "bar girls"... but as far as "scams" go, by definition the word implies that the victim is taken advantage of. I doubt that many of the guys hooking up with "bar girls" fall in love after one roll in the hay. Maybe a few anecdotal incidents of idiots -- entertaining to read about, but hardly a big problem. I'll bet the vast majority are well aware of the "deal" and while they might fall in LUST for a night, they're not falling in LOVE.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Fubar

Dude you have a sexual problem, you're not getting enough and are jealous of others.
This thread is about Dominicans returning from Spain which is in crisis, an a real problem for legal Dominicans residing there.
It's not about bar girls.
Go to church or get laid and don't worry about other peoples sexual life.
Fubar

looking for a bar girl While Thailand and Philippines have more of that traffic than we do in the DR, t
The bar girls who go to places like Nigeria looking for bar girls so of course pick up someone half your age at a
bar and you are opening the door to trouble.
Quote:
"look for love from a 20 year old local at the bar*
they are mostly looking for us at the tourist bars after we have had a few or the massage parlors
going to be younger because it will attract more suckers for the tourist tonight you would pick the 20 year old daughter
folks go looking for those bar girls. Many don't intend to ever bring one back home but after their one magical night they fall in love. Some other countries like Thailand or Philippines may actually get more traffic overall from guys around the world,
Many people come here specifically looking for the bar girls.
Just like in Thailand and the Philippines. If you are looking for a bar girl and think you will fall in love with
The bar girls who are waiting for you
people don't go to places like Nigeria looking for bar girls
pick up someone half your age at a bar and you are opening the door to trouble."
End Quote

Last edited:
May 29, 2006
I've worked with numerous Hispanics in the US and they live tight so they can still send money home. They will cram four ppl into a one or two bedroom apt, not go out to bars or smoke(much) and then bust their butts for 60 or more hours a week. I think some just come to the US to save up some cash for a year. They may be needing some help getting back on the island, but that's after sending home around $1000/month while they were in the US and only making $1400 or so/month.

They see kids in their 20's in the US blowing money on toys and having their own apts while they work for someone other than themselves. You also see Hispanics who stay with their parents longer, because blowing up to half of your income on an apt is a waste of money.

I'm still baffled how some kid making $1200/month blows $100 on just their phone, then another $100 on TV/internet, then car payments and rent, and they still find the money to go out drinking a couple nights a week.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
72% of Dominicans in the US receive some sort of government aide ,the highest of of all the immigrant groups in the US .

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
There maybe some truth in what you say but basically I think you are full of it. I don't belive you have a friend that has access to statistics that have Dominicans as the number one scam artist country. For one they don't even come close to the scams that East Indians and Pakistanis have. In Canada the Lebanese are considered the number one scam artist country. If the DR was that highly rate the number of VISAs issued would dy up, it hasn't, it has actually grown.

I believe him. Years ago I had a US Consulate official stationed in DR tell me that DR was number two worldwide for visa fraud. I believe Philipines was number one. Could have been thailand.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
the basic reality regarding this repatriation issue is pretty elementary. people can get a visa to reside in the USA by one of two basic methods. they can either request one themselves, or they can be sponsored. requesting one on your own comes with the complication that you need to show that you have some degree of education and skill which will be to the advantage of the USA.
my instinct is that most Dominicans who enter the USA legally have been sponsored by relatives. the simple reason has to do with education. only 18% of Dominicans who migrate to the USA have tertiary education. what this means is that when the economy takes a nosedive, these people are the ones who are going to be hurt the most. they basically work in low income jobs, and do not have much of a financial backbone, in terms of savings, due to their lack of discretionary income. i read a release that the Dominicans have the second lowest per capita income of all immigrant groups into the USA. i have been struggling to find the data, which states that the Indians are at the top, and the Colombians are dead last. when the crap hits the fan, they will be the first to have economic problems, and probably have to go back home.

I also remember reading years back that DR was amongst the top in sending remesas back home. That is because many really want no part of the "american dream", they want to reap as many benefits of being in the US as possible so they can send money home and build a house or business back "home".

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Lobo Tropical & Lothario666 - I am happily married so no problem with the bar girls here. You guys are blind if you don't think men come to Sosua for the sole purpose of picking up a girl at the bar. And then they go back to their homeland and Western Union that girl they hardly know money thinking she is so great to them. Really? The girl you met at a bar who is half your age that you spent one week at best with. Then they marry her and bring her back to their homeland and are so surprised when it doesn't work out. People were jumping in this post talking about Visa Fraud and how the Dominican girls commit it so often in the U.S. by marrying someone and then leaving them once they have their paperwork. I'm just trying to point out how that part of the reason it is happening is because people are looking for them. A Dominican girl that wants to scam her way into another country via marriage won't be successful if someone doesn't come looking to marry her. Yes she is bad. But some people need to stop being stupid and na?ve and causing their own problems.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Jumping off topic here and "shaking the Bush, Boss," i can give my very uneducated, unsolicited, impossible to verify guess about countries out-pacing the DR with Visa fraud. In Europe, i've lived and worked in both London, England and Norway; i still work in Norway. In both countries, i've worked in dozens and dozens of restaurants, bars, and nightclubs over the last 25 years. Here is my guess--in no particular order--of countries that i think dwarf the DR in Visa fraud. But first, keep in mind, I've worked with hundreds of illegal immigrants throughout restaurants, nightclubs and bars...many of these immigrants come to Europe and the U.S and perform arranged marriages for visas, Green Cards, and Residency; many come over in what's known as "Family Reunification"--very very common "back door" entrance throughout Europe; many come over and seek "Asylum," many come over for vacation and then tear up and flush their passports down the toilets and do not tell the authorities which country they came from--which makes it impossible to "deport" them. There are so many other ways to go about it, and right now, i can't think of them all, but if i were making a list from just casual, unscientific observations inside restaurants, bars, and nightclubs that i've worked in within the last 25 years, it would go something like this:

1.) Pakistan has 176,700 Million people, therefore, they are 176 million X 10 million bigger then the DR. They dwarf the DR in population, therefore they most likely dwarf the DR in Visa fraud...i've worked with many, many illegal Pakistanians everywhere from London, England to Oslo, Norway to Washington DC.

2.) China. 1 Billion plus population, with millions of them trying to get to the American Dream. They dwarf the DR.

3.) India. Another 1 Billion plus population, with millions of them trying to get out. They dwarf the DR. The Dr population compared to both China and India wouldn't be a pimple on their butts.

4.) Mexico. another rather large population of 112 Million people with easy access to the U.S. I can't imagine the DR has even a slight dent in the Mexican illegality of immigration fraud.

5.) Nigeria. Another large population of 162 Million, many trying to flee and enter the U.S. and Europe, and, yes, Nigeria is 162 X 10 million bigger than the DR.

6.) Russia. 142 Million population--which, again, dwarfs the DR in population. Many Russians are doing everything possible to get to the U.S and Western Europe--including coming to the DR and purchasing DR citizenship's/passports in order to try and get to different countries.

6. Philippines & Thailand dwarf the DR in population, and at least within Europe, they also dwarf the Dominicans in shere population count of immigrants working within Europe. Thai & Philipino women in particular, have married so many Europeans in the last few decades and immigrated to Europe--i've worked with many Thais in downtown Oslo--including gay Thais whom have married gay Norwegian men & Swedish men. Many of these end up in Europe illegally when they cut short their marriages before they become full blown citizens.

7. Vietnamese, Brazilians, etc...all dwarf the DR in population count and therefore, most likely have many more "performa"(Norwegian word for "arranged marriages") marriages to American men in order to get the Green Card. I mean, i would just look at the numbers for an educated guess. If all these countries have the minimum of 100 Million people and huge poverty, then how could the DR compete with them in terms of immigration fraud. Yes, of course there are a lot Dominicans committing Visa fraud, but there are only 10 million Dominicans...that's barely a few cities in some of these countries above. At the end of the day, numbers count, and big numbers count more because they dwarf the DR in population, and hence, Visa Fraud.

Frank

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I went to the Social Security office in Lynn, Massachusetts 4 years ago, I was the only one there older than about 25 years old, AND, the ONLY Non-Dominicano!
And, the ONLY English Speaker!
I felt like speaking Spanish so as not to scare the "Applicants" into thinking I was a spy, or confusing the agents!
"Dis Contri Bean Berry Berry Gud Por Me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come On UP!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
When I went to the Social Security office in Lynn, Massachusetts 4 years ago, I was the only one there older than about 25 years old, AND, the ONLY Non-Dominicano!
And, the ONLY English Speaker!
I felt like speaking Spanish so as not to scare the "Applicants" into thinking I was a spy, or confusing the agents!
"Dis Contri Bean Berry Berry Gud Por Me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Haha...yeah, i got several Dominican cousins living and working in Massachusetts right now--especially within the suburbs of Boston.

Massachusetts has a large Dominican population...as does New York, and up and down the East Coast.

However, go out west--California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, etc, or the Bible Belt--Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, etc, or the Northern states--Minnesota, Wisconsin, Montana, etc, or the Midwest--Nebraska, Colorado, Indiana, Kansas, etc, and see if you can duplicate that experience.

Not going to be easy.

Let's face it, Massachusetts & New York has a lot of Dominicans. Other states...not so much.

Frank