Many questions about the DR :)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
In 7 years, I've never seen prices even close to those. Remember, this couple is talking about the Sosua/ Cabarete area. Maybe I'm living in a different DR.

Prices are good - chicken 45 lb - 3/4 lb 32 pesos, veg about 18 peso lb - use 1 lb for generous portions. Fresh peper, sauce 10 peso, cornflower, herbs, lemon, pepers, milk and water. Example 60 pesos a portion.
1.5 dollars.

Do you want me to repeat for the others?

Sosua is not much different than LT.

pi2.

Lorin

Apr 5, 2012
Thx guys for the information so far! You know, it is funny....but almost every other thread I had found related to cost of living in the DR turned into a heated discussion...lol, with very differing opinions.

It is so hard to describe lifestyle, obviously, but, I will give it a shot. My wife and I (oh, I'm a male, BTW, Como :) ) like to cook and are very happy to make some chicken and have a salad and fresh veggies at home for dinner most of the time. That being said, we do love to eat out when money affords. As far as a house/apt goes, we are not looking to live in anything resort-ish or anything - just the opposite actually. A simple one or two bedroom with a living room and small kitchen, that allows our dog (the apt, not the kitchen), would be fine. We do need internet though. It seems that electricity can be a significant addition to housing cost in the DR...yeah?

As far as a vehicle goes, we don't necessarily NEED one (as a matter of fact we would probably prefer to NOT have one if we lived somewhere that would allow for that kind of lifestyle). We like to walk and bike ride and are happy to use public transportation, assuming it is safe. But we would, of course, like to get around to see the country as much as possible. We currently live in Colorado and love camping and rafting, etc. And we are not the type of people who go out to bars or clubs at night. We are in our 30's and would prefer to cook at home, watch a movie, or go for a walk.

I hope that helps with regard to how we are looking to live. It is so odd, because I feel like I keep seeing conflicting info regarding prices and the like. For example - here a couple of places that look decent, over the internet anyway, for under US$500:

Large 2 bed apartment in the Dominican Republic
Casa en Aros Carrau, Puerto Plata

Are they not as good as they look??

Please keep adding any information you have....it is ALL very helpful to read. And thank you sooo much!!

PS - Thank you Lindsey for the suggestion to ask Craig for emails for a couple of the teachers at ISS. We haven't contacted him just yet as we just happened upon this posting in the last couple of days and are getting the application info together. Meanwhile, I am doing a little independent research :)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
You're not the one living in a different DR CocoBoy. pi2 lives on another planet, where seaweed is a delicacy.

Lorin, please follow Lindsay Kaufman's advice and get contact info for current staff at the school.

You are on a different planet - preparing a dinner of a 1/4 of a 3 lb chicken with generous veg and sauce is going to set one back about a dollar and a half. Add a breakfast and supper and you are well within 5$ even with a glass of wine.

pi2

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
...For example - here a couple of places that look decent, over the internet anyway, for under US$500:

DR real estate listings on the internet are seldom if ever accurate in most respects. Also, there is so much more to consider here with respect to infra-structure. Dependable water and utilities? Location and the specific attributes of a property are much much more important here than in the U.S.

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Best to book a moderate hotel/condo-hotel for 1-4 weeks and look round - visiting estate agents, following up signs to let etc. Best deals are very often word of mouth.

pi2

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Thx guys for the information so far! You know, it is funny....but almost every other thread I had found related to cost of living in the DR turned into a heated discussion...lol, with very differing opinions.

It is so hard to describe lifestyle, obviously, but, I will give it a shot. My wife and I (oh, I'm a male, BTW, Como :) ) like to cook and are very happy to make some chicken and have a salad and fresh veggies at home for dinner most of the time. That being said, we do love to eat out when money affords. As far as a house/apt goes, we are not looking to live in anything resort-ish or anything - just the opposite actually. A simple one or two bedroom with a living room and small kitchen, that allows our dog (the apt, not the kitchen), would be fine. We do need internet though. It seems that electricity can be a significant addition to housing cost in the DR...yeah?

As far as a vehicle goes, we don't necessarily NEED one (as a matter of fact we would probably prefer to NOT have one if we lived somewhere that would allow for that kind of lifestyle). We like to walk and bike ride and are happy to use public transportation, assuming it is safe. But we would, of course, like to get around to see the country as much as possible. We currently live in Colorado and love camping and rafting, etc. And we are not the type of people who go out to bars or clubs at night. We are in our 30's and would prefer to cook at home, watch a movie, or go for a walk.

I hope that helps with regard to how we are looking to live. It is so odd, because I feel like I keep seeing conflicting info regarding prices and the like. For example - here a couple of places that look decent, over the internet anyway, for under US$500:

Please keep adding any information you have....it is ALL very helpful to read. And thank you sooo much!!

PS - Thank you Lindsey for the suggestion to ask Craig for emails for a couple of the teachers at ISS. We haven't contacted him just yet as we just happened upon this posting in the last couple of days and are getting the application info together. Meanwhile, I am doing a little independent research :)

If you live in the Mile High state and you enjoy the outdoors Costa Rica would be perfect for you and wife. Believe me Sosua is NOTHING like how it looks on the internet. I found that out the hard way. I would NEVER recommend anybody I know to move to Sosua unless they have knowledge of the DR.

As for your 1500USD budget a month that will be fine until you see how the country works, you and your wife might move there in June and moved back to Colorado in July many people have. Remember you heard it from me first Go to Costa Rica. Your wife might find a job there. Also Colorado is a VERY CLEAN state you will see why I mentioned this.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Pi2, this is when your game can become dangerous for someone making an important decision such as this, people often see the positives (in this case your postings) when looking forward to or hoping for something, no matter how many negatives are put infront of them. You are entitled to your opinion for sure, but it is getting old, so old it is expected whenever a pricing thread springs up, but I'm sure most people can spot a pebble in a tray of sand.

OP, finding housing can be a bit of a lottery first time, and especially if you are not even familiar with the country yet alone the people and way things operate. It is easy to find a home cheaply, very cheaply, but are you going to furnish it? No! And it so happens furnished apartments are a bit more difficult to find as a general rule for a decent price, but you are in the right area to find a furnished apartment if anywhere, so that is a good positive and I don't think you will have an issue with that, there are loads on here from Sosua that will be able to help hook you up or at least point you in the right direction, don't commit to anything long term over the net, wait till in the country and have a poke around.

From my own previous experience of Mrs Dog working, and me having the whole day to fill only led to me making very good friends with a few of the local bar owners and so $pending goes through the roof. I know people say there is loads to do, but that is if you are a tourist and have a certain amount of money to burn, take the touristy things out of a touristy hotspot and there really is not that much to do, or at least after the first month once more than everything has been achieved and three times the considered budget has gone and the sun becomes boring.

No matter where you live in the DR if you are young or even not old, and do not have a purpose (work, costless hobby) then it is not a great place to be. Bumbling around all day waiting for the other half to get home, is not productive, you will get bored out of your skin unless you enjoy drinking and you can't afford that.

I think it must be very confusing for you right now, and my only advice would be to nab a really cheap weeks break (is that offer still on at Lifestyles) and get over to have a look for yourself, familiarize yourself, you could hate it instantly, but it could cut the crap and make things clearer in your mind. You might even be able to view a few apartments, rent a car for a couple of day.

I've offered my opinion on the cost of living and I have lived all over the country and I don't think a couple can live on $1,300, if you were earning that each then you would be alright, IMO.

I wish you luck with it all, I'm sure things will become clearer once you've had a visit, look around. I'd certainly advise against doing anything long term until you've at least done that.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
If you live in the Mile High state and you enjoy the outdoors Costa Rica would be perfect for you and wife. Believe me Sosua is NOTHING like how it looks on the internet. I found that out the hard way. I would NEVER recommend anybody I know to move to Sosua unless they have knowledge of the DR.

As for your 1500USD budget a month that will be fine until you see how the country works, you and your wife might move there in June and moved back to Colorado in July many people have. Remember you heard it from me first Go to Costa Rica. Your wife might find a job there. Also Colorado is a VERY CLEAN state you will see why I mentioned this.

Typical of the "expert opinions" oft times found on DR1. First of all, they might already have a job possibility in the Sosua area. Secondly, this is a DR board, why the Costa Rica recommendation? Oh, maybe you're posting from there and have a vested interest?. Costa Rica? It's interesting that we've met people here that had made investments and moved there, only to leave and move here.

As far as people coming and going, you are dead on accurate. It is a great place to live, but not for the ill-prepared or ill-informed. The Sosua area is wonderful for those that "fit" here. Most of people we have observed come and go were really not cut out for life here, but were ill-informed by various individuals.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Typical of the "expert opinions" oft times found on DR1. First of all, they might already have a job possibility in the Sosua area. Secondly, this is a DR board, why the Costa Rica recommendation? Oh, maybe you're posting from there and have a vested interest?. Costa Rica? It's interesting that we've met people here that had made investments and moved there, only to leave and move here.

As far as people coming and going, you are dead on accurate. It is a great place to live, but not for the ill-prepared or ill-informed. The Sosua area is wonderful for those that "fit" here. Most of people we have observed come and go were really not cut out for life here, but were ill-informed by various individuals.

First of all I know people. Everybody I have met from Colorado LOVES that state. Colorado is like no other place on the globe, and the OP stated they love the outdoors which is NOT DR strong point like CR.

I tried to live in DR for 8 straight months and the BS was TOO MUCH everything you do in DR is a project. I am only trying to give the OP better options. If I wanted to send them to a beautiful world I would have said Puerto Rico BABY!!!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I shopped yesterday at Playero, Sosua's better supermarket.

Here are some random items from the receipt to give you an idea.
Divide by 40 to get roughly the US dollar equivalent (39 to be more exact).

225 packs Splenda - 403 pesos
Ground beef 1.2 pounds - 118 pesos
2.8 pounds of sugar - 66 pesos
Keebler Townhouse crackers - 116 pesos
Bounty paper towels single roll - 108 pesos
1 pound coffee - 182 pesos
2 pounds hybrid tomatoes - 48 pesos
Protex bar soap - 35 pesos
1 pound Brocolli - 32 pesos
Iceburg lettuce 1.82 pounds - 44 pesos
Bumble Bee tuna small can - 57 pesos
2 liter Coke Zero - 58 pesos
Tropicana OJuice - 185 pesos
Tostitos bean dip - 169 pesos
Blue Diamond Almonds small can - 179 pesos
Vlasic Baby Kosher Dill pickles - 154 pesos
Smoked Pork chops 3 pounds - 382 pesos
2 pounds red onions - 64 pesos
250 grams raisins - 79 pesos
30 eggs - 148 pesos
Crest toothpaste - 211 pesos
3/4 pound bacon - 89 pesos
Peter Pan Peanut Butter - 180 pesos
Tostitos chunky salsa - 155 pesos
Purina dog food 10 lbs - 323 pesos
Prego spaghetti sauce - 140 pesos
Kraft Cracker Barrel cheddar - 228 pesos

Grand total for 1 shopping cart with no cleaning supplies (expensive) and not much meat since I have some frozen.... RD$8054 pesos or about US$206. Add another 200 pesos (US$5) to drive 10 minutes back/forth from Cabarete.

You can buy cheaper brands, but for me the trade off in quality is something I won't accept on the dinner table. Dominican cheeses? Ick! Dominican pickles? Ick ick ick! Cheaper tuna? Better off buying cat food!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I shopped yesterday at Playero, Sosua's better supermarket.

Here are some random items from the receipt to give you an idea.
Divide by 40 to get roughly the US dollar equivalent (39 to be more exact).

225 packs Splenda - 403 pesos
Ground beef 1.2 pounds - 118 pesos
2.8 pounds of sugar - 66 pesos
Keebler Townhouse crackers - 116 pesos
Bounty paper towels single roll - 108 pesos
1 pound coffee - 182 pesos
2 pounds hybrid tomatoes - 48 pesos
Protex bar soap - 35 pesos
1 pound Brocolli - 32 pesos
Iceburg lettuce 1.82 pounds - 44 pesos
Bumble Bee tuna small can - 57 pesos
2 liter Coke Zero - 58 pesos
Tropicana OJuice - 185 pesos
Tostitos bean dip - 169 pesos
Blue Diamond Almonds small can - 179 pesos
Vlasic Baby Kosher Dill pickles - 154 pesos
Smoked Pork chops 3 pounds - 382 pesos
2 pounds red onions - 64 pesos
250 grams raisins - 79 pesos
30 eggs - 148 pesos
Crest toothpaste - 211 pesos
3/4 pound bacon - 89 pesos
Peter Pan Peanut Butter - 180 pesos
Tostitos chunky salsa - 155 pesos
Purina dog food 10 lbs - 323 pesos
Prego spaghetti sauce - 140 pesos
Kraft Cracker Barrel cheddar - 228 pesos

Grand total for 1 shopping cart with no cleaning supplies (expensive) and not much meat since I have some frozen.... RD$8054 pesos or about US$206. Add another 200 pesos (US$5) to drive 10 minutes back/forth from Cabarete.

You can buy cheaper brands, but for me the trade off in quality is something I won't accept on the dinner table. Dominican cheeses? Ick! Dominican pickles? Ick ick ick! Cheaper tuna? Better off buying cat food!

How long does this food last you and your family?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

I have one more quick question for you Coco man do the term HEALTH CODE VIOLATION exist anywhere in Dominican Republic?

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
,Pi2, this is when your game can become dangerous for someone making an important decision such as this, people often see the positives (in this case your postings) when looking forward to or hoping for something, no matter how many negatives are put infront of them. You are entitled to your opinion for sure, but it is getting old, so old it is expected whenever a pricing thread springs up, but I'm sure most people can spot a pebble in a tray of sand.,

Just that everyone seems to have a vested interest in quoting vastly inflated costs. A spell working abroad in most professions is a great thing to have on a CV.

Do I need a photo of me handing over about 150 pesos for a 3 lb fresh chicken - or a few pesos for good sweet potatoes and a beautiful pineapple?

Seems gringos sort out someting to do for the most part if they want to. The gringo community is always demaning plumbing repairs, electrical work, excellent tiling etc. Plus there is call centre work etc. etc.

A years contract is short term for teachers and is usally on offer.

It is dangerous for peoples careers to vastly-overinflate costs and the difficulty of settling in as the DR is a lot easier than for example France, Germany, Turkey etc.

It is quite possible to have a nice lifestyle on the saleries offered by international schools etc.

pi2

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
That'll get me and 3 friends through the holiday weekend with what's on hand.
Certain items like pickles, toothpaste, crackers etc will be around for a couple three weeks before gone.

Average is probably 8000 pesos a week for two, two meals a day, incl misc cleaning supplies. Meatballs the other night for example. The ingredients - Panko breadcrumbs, ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, ground beef, onions, garlic, egg, EVOO, cracked pepper, parsley... the two cheeses alone were over 300 pesos for the quantity used in the recipe. Then the tomatoes for the sauce, side items, etc.

If one sticks to basic recipes and includes a lot of rice, beans, and basic vegetables... it's not so bad. But if you want to dress things up with good cheeses, good deli meats, condiments, herbs, sauces, etc... the price goes up quickly.

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
I tried to live in DR for 8 straight months and the BS was TOO MUCH everything you do in DR is a project.

Oh, so you are one of the people that couldn't cut it here. Life ain't easy enough for you here, poor baby. Best you left, and better would have been you never came here in the first place. Posting from CO of CR?

I have one more quick question for you Coco man do the term HEALTH CODE VIOLATION exist anywhere in Dominican Republic?

If you need to live where government controls everything which seems to be your preference, then live there. We love the freedom and responsibility it entails.

Find a Colorado or Costa Rica board to post on.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Do The "MATH"!
Figure out wht you think it will cost you to live here,THEN DOUBLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Came here for my first time in 1986.
Living here since 1995.
"pi2's" estimates are "DANGEROUS"!!
Cris Colon

"CoCo",I think I am starting to like you!!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Average is probably 8000 pesos a week for two,

I'd say that is spot on for a weekly trolley shop down the supermarket for the two of us as well, well and a toddler who sometimes costs us a couple of mil more here or there. Back in the UK is the same +/-

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Lorin, sure it is possible to live on U$1300 a month, everything included. There are many families in this country getting by on less. But are you prepared to live like they do.

I have a housekeeper that comes in once a week to clean my apartment. She was here today and in our conversation she mentioned that she cooks on charcoal because she can't afford propane. Having a BBQ in the back yard using charcoal is one thing, having it as your only cooking fuel is quite another.

She lives in what you would probably consider a shack beside a river that overflows its banks when we have a period of rain. When it does, she has a foot of water covering the floor until the river recedes. Inexpensive lodging, but is that what you want.

You can make rice a beans a major part of your daily diet like many of these families do, and you can buy very inexpensive parts of animals and poultry at the supermarket that will also stretch your budget.

If you are willing to make adjustments like this in your life style, then US$1300 a month will keep you going. But if you want a life style anything like what you have experienced your entire life until now, then you are in for a rude awakening when you set up housekeeping here.

Last edited:

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Rip off prices for many products. Spagetti sauce for 6 persons with this recepie using tomato paste:

Alice Jo's Spaghetti Sauce Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

Peanut butter takes minutes to make with local peanuts at about 30 pesos a lb.

Local cheeses are great mixed with local herbs etc. and are about 3$ a lb.

Its easy to make crackers in the oven and breadfruit/plantains makes great snack food.

About 2, 500 - 3,000 pesos a week should be great for two people.

I do not see why it is dangerous to suggest people do not buy glass jars that may be stuffed full of chemicals processed in other countries when there is so much good food in the DR.

pi2

pi2

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Oh, so you are one of the people that couldn't cut it here. Life ain't easy enough for you here, poor baby. Best you left, and better would have been you never came here in the first place. Posting from CO of CR?

If you need to live where government controls everything which seems to be your preference, then live there. We love the freedom and responsibility it entails.

Find a Colorado or Costa Rica board to post on.

The sad thing about you I bet you are not even latino, and I know you are not Dominican. I forgot WHY IN THE HELL I need to cut it there when half of your country is trying to hit up both of my countries US and PR.