Many questions about the DR :)

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Here is my expected monthly living expenses for when I finally move down there; so that you can compare. I will also have no house/rent payments or car payments. But this is for a family of 4.

Light......$5000
Agua......$800
Cooking Gas......$900
Codetel Flash......$2265
Cable TV......$685
Celular ......$2000
Seguro de Carro......$750
Gasolina/Diesel......$12000
Compra......$15000
Miscellaneous......$1000
Going out w/ Wife......$2000
medicine, doctor visit, and so forth......$2000
Medical Insurance......$5100
House helper......$6000
Security......$800
Car Maintenance......$1500
School......$9000
Diapers......$1600
Clothes......$800
Car Wash......$1000
Hair Dresser/Barber......$1500
Going out w/Family......$2000

Total =>> $73700 / $39 = $1,889US

I would say that you could probably survive on what you expect, but again, don't expect too much. If you budget yourself correctly, and you don't mind not buying a pair of jeans every other week, not eating out everyother day, not changing your cellphone every 2-3 months than you should be fine.

Its funny how going with family=2000
Going out with wife=2000
Celuar=2000

Is the same thing you pay your maid or house help=6000. What a SAD!!! place.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
The way it is done is often the reason why the injured reach the hospital DOA.

I was looking for a tactful way to say this, and I think you found it.

Unfortunately, too many Dominicans have no basic CPR/emergency background awareness (don't move an accident victim with possible spinal cord injuries, for example) that in a crowd of people, the crowd mentality takes over, and quality first responder care doesn't happen.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I worked in "Health Care " for 40 years,10 here in Santo Domingo.
So,here is the "Real Deal" about health care in the DR!(Is "Health CARE an Oximoron Here????)
Ambulance response,first,unless you are in a known "land mark",they may never find you.
If they do,FIRST they will want to know who is going to pay!(My ins. covers "Movimed")
Second,they know nothing,or next to nothing, about critical care,or stablising the patient.They have a tank of oxygen and will hook you up,but ONLY so they can charge you for oxygen.IF they don't crash on the way to the hospital,your problems are just begining.Again,"Who Is Going to pay"????
I could go on & on,buy why bother?
Nurses here are not trained! Period!
Some doctors are trained,and quite good.MANY are NOT!
My advice is pray you get a good doctor,and you have no post op complications.If you get a "blood/wound infection,die quickly,that will minimise your suffering,and hospital bill!
If you die,the hospital will NOT release your body,UNTIL your bill is paid in full!
For any non emergency treatment,or surgery,I,like most well-to-do Dominicans,go to the USA!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"PI2" could you be "LESS SPECIFIC" please???
"An OPERATION" costs 1,000 to 1,500 dollars".

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If they do,FIRST they will want to know who is going to pay!(My ins. covers "Movimed")

That's standard in the US, too. (Except in the US, if you can't pay or don't have a social security card, by law you'll still recieve care, just delivered to a different hospital, in many cases.)

Besides giving my insurance information, I had to produce my son's social security card, which I did while the medics were attending to him. I guess had I told them he didn't have one, it wouldn't have been required, or if I was using Medicaire/Medicaid they would have needed it to verify eligibility, but it surprised me still.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I've never had to 'suffer' blackouts here either. as many on this site speak of.
Der Fish

Do you enjoy them? At least you've had to endure them?

I know some areas are better than others, but never had to deal with black-outs?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Good healthcare will cost you here in DR bottom line. I always recommend to those looking to move here, have a " what if " fund for any emergencies you may have. Although I am not a big fan of the healthcare situation in the US right now, you can still receive emergency care without having to pay. Under the EMTALA law no ER can turn you away based on your ability or inability to pay. Now again the system is not perfect but it works somewhat. Here in DR for the most part before helping you they will need to know how you are going to pay (cash, credit card, first born etc...) So can decent healthcare be found here, yes at a price. Over the years I have seen a few docs here and can't complain, however when I had to have surgery I did go back to the US.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Well, at least they have a fire truck. ;)
So, they are better off than Las Terrenas, where there is no working fire truck (nor ambulance). :ermm:

donP

So, why would anyone want to live in Las Terrenas without these important services????

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I worked in "Health Care " for 40 years,10 here in Santo Domingo.
So,here is the "Real Deal" about health care in the DR!(Is "Health CARE an Oximoron Here????)
Ambulance response,first,unless you are in a known "land mark",they may never find you.
Second,they know nothing,or next to nothing, about critical care,or stablising the patient.They have a tank of oxygen and will hook you up,but ONLY so they can charge you for oxygen.IF they don't crash on the way to the hospital,your problems are just begining.Again,"Who Is Going to pay"????
I could go on & on,buy why bother?
Nurses here are not trained! Period!
Some doctors are trained,and quite good.MANY are NOT!
My advice is pray you get a good doctor,and you have no post op complications.If you get a "blood/wound infection,die quickly,that will minimise your suffering,and hospital bill!
If you die,the hospital will NOT release your body,UNTIL your bill is paid in full!
For any non emergency treatment,or surgery,I,like most well-to-do Dominicans,go to the USA!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"PI2" could you be "LESS SPECIFIC" please???
"An OPERATION" costs 1,000 to 1,500 dollars".

In one case a gall bladder operation, the other an appendix. Both successful. I have had stitches in the same establishment and was very happy with expertise and clenliness. Other places exist for procedures - Cuba, Costa Rica, Thailand etc.

Seems the average credit card limit of $10,000 will cover lots of care in the DR.

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
In one case a gall bladder operation, the other an appendix. Both successful. I have had stitches in the same establishment and was very happy with expertise and clenliness. Other places exist for procedures - Cuba, Costa Rica, Thailand etc.

Seems the average credit card limit of $10,000 will cover lots of care in the DR.

pi2

Right... I am having a heart attack, let's fly to Thailand to get proper care....

Mind you, right now I am suffering terrible pains in my stomach, and I am planning on going to the Thai... AS THEY ARE HUNGER PAINS!!!!

BelgianK

W. W.

Apr 7, 2012
WOW.
I gave up moderating duties on a monger forum because of the responsibilities of correct delusions. I thought mongers were delusional about Dominican women in Sosua! This healthcare discussion is an excellent topic, but, It is getting lost with the trolling of a member with 762 posts...I mean 700 plus post. Good job moderating Cris Colon. But, your job is made harder by someone who obviously wants laughs and you can loose genuine intelligent insight with the psycho babble. I recommend this forums to tons of people in NYC and in Colombia (where's CR1?)
alll the best.

W. W.

Apr 7, 2012
Psycho Babble -
English Man ( with an English accent ) - " good morning ladies and gentleman. "
762 posts..I mean 700 plus post - " you sound like Benny Hill...are you from TV land ? "
English Man ( with an English accent ) - " no sir I'm from England. Somebody please get this idiot out of here ! "

W. W.

Apr 7, 2012
This video is so funny. Lawd of Mercy. Haven't laughed like that in a minute. I might have to respond with video so I don't offend with my humor. Someone already outed me with a text because of the Benny Hill joke. Its true you can tell a lot about a person by their jokes. I wont tell any monger jokes ill keep it clean. The names Buck Tooth Bandit!!!

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
In the DR,they don't START treatment without a cash deposit,or an authorization by your insurance carrier!
CC

Never heard of that - two times I have needed treatment a passort, cedula and valid credit card ( mastercard )has been great.
The other time the doctor just accepted the introduction of a friend and started treatment.
I suppose if you look like a criminal!

pi2