Many questions about the DR :)

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Good work interpreting the many opinions.
I have calculated it up and down and I eat Dominican cooking at each meal. I cannot do it less than $2500/month. Just no slack otherwise.

Yes, about $250 a month for a studio a bit out of town and another 150$ a month for food, $30 electric, $10 cooking gas would be a real minimum. Mind you sports are cheap - a run on the beach, swimming, practicing golf swings on the beach etc. This is for two people. If you are prepared to house sit can be cheaper. Of course living like this you help conserve the planet since you will not be eating many imported goods that cost a lot to transport or contributing to the execultive jet lifestyle of the moguls who run major corporations to the detriment of us all. I understand the Leonel is speaking out against speculation in food.

pi2.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Common Sense

Maybe living life in the DR will improve a retirees health to the point of reducing medications. For the purposes of someone moving here, though it's a legitimate question to ask the price and availability of meds.

IF you are inclined to take "herbal" remedies, personally I'd take the kind that involve a campesino picking it and prepariing it, as they've been doing it for years. Or I would find imported, brands you know for any supplements. I'd steer clear of anything that isn't properly packaged from a source you can't verify. There's a lot of dangerous stuff that gets added in, and much like other places, not much regulations or quality control.

I'm not big on the pills, but someone I am close to was convinced that it was not necessary for her to continue to taking her anti-viral medications prescribed by a doctor. Some other QUACK convinced her about some natural remedy, same people that believe AIDS doesn't exist, it's a conspiracy, we have a cure, etc. etc. I'm watching her waste away.

If you are new to the DR, I'd stick to the licensed medical doctors. There are more non-licensed quacks, than licensed ones, and no, I have no link to back that up with.

Experience is that over perscribing is rampant in the DR among private Quacks. Herbal remedies also exist and are cheap for many ailments.
Some ot these doctors have even been trained in the US - global central for over - perscribing - the drug bill for the average US citizen is more than twice that of the European citizen.

Are American doctors over-prescribing medication? - by Dawn Crystal - Helium

Quacks also percribe expensive drugs when a generic is just as effective - and some supply the drug through their own phamacy!

pi2

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I'm starting to think this would be a great diet plan, this food plan you talk about.

I'm wondering if $30 a month runs more than a lightbulb and a fan?

Yes, about $250 a month for a studio a bit out of town and another 150$ a month for food, $30 electric, $10 cooking gas would be a real minimum. Mind you sports are cheap - a run on the beach, swimming, practicing golf swings on the beach etc. This is for two people. If you are prepared to house sit can be cheaper. Of course living like this you help conserve the planet since you will not be eating many imported goods that cost a lot to transport or contributing to the execultive jet lifestyle of the moguls who run major corporations to the detriment of us all. I understand the Leonel is speaking out against speculation in food.

pi2.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think that "Pi2s" diet is so nutritionaly depleted,that his body has consumed his brain for nourishment!
My dogs eat better than he does,and look how smart they are!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
I'm starting to think this would be a great diet plan, this food plan you talk about.

I'm wondering if $30 a month runs more than a lightbulb and a fan?

Probably a LED bulb. Fan that burns less than 25 watts, portable icemaker to run occasionally to make ice for an xtreme coolbox that will keep food such as milk cool for 72 hours on a single charge of ice, laptop, mini-tv lcd, cellular charger ( receiving calls only ).

Great diet - plenty of spagettti, beans, soyabeans, rice, cornmeal, beans, lentils,tapioca, fresh fruit and vegetables, porridge oats, sardines, beansprouts self grown. Some foods bought in bulk.
Need a 25 dollar pressure cooker for some items.

Typical meal: three bean salad, rice, tapioca pudding with fresh fruit.

pi2

xSpAnIaRdx

Jul 14, 2009
pi2 i agree with you I believe some people for what ever reason exaggerate the cost of living here. Granted I never lived in DR but I have visited about 14 times ranging from 2 weeks to a month each time.
I usually stay in Gascue for $25.00 or so each day air conditioner included, have lunch for 125 pesos plato del dia. And for dinner go out somewhere costing i dont know maybe $10 bucks each night. Now these are about 90% of my costs. Now iI know living here would entail more spending but lodging and food , and energy should be about the majority of anyone budget I would think.
Bottom line I come here with about $2000.00 for the month and cant even spend it all even if i tried.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Can you buy LED lights in the DR? I've just bought a few, and they are not cheap.

I also wonder about solar powered security lights. They are becoming more popular, and you think they'd be useful in those area that don't have regular light service.

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy ice? Don't see the economy of an icemaker for someone on a budget trying to consume minimal energy.

Probably a LED bulb. Fan that burns less than 25 watts, portable icemaker to run occasionally to make ice for an xtreme coolbox that will keep food such as milk cool for 72 hours on a single charge of ice, laptop, mini-tv lcd, cellular charger ( receiving calls only ).

Great diet - plenty of spagettti, beans, soyabeans, rice, cornmeal, beans, lentils,tapioca, fresh fruit and vegetables, porridge oats, sardines, beansprouts self grown. Some foods bought in bulk.
Need a 25 dollar pressure cooker for some items.

Typical meal: three bean salad, rice, tapioca pudding with fresh fruit.

pi2

pi2

Banned
Oct 12, 2011
Amazon is good to buy lights. CPS or someone will ship. One 60 watt equiavalent 20 dollars but should last 15 years.

Yes solar security lights are good - no wiring required.

If you don,t have an old fridge to make ice for a hour or so a day an icemaker a sack of ice costs 40 pesos. Should last 3 days in xtreme coolbox.

Yes, sure can buy ice.

pi2

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
They also said those energy saving light bulbs would last 10,000 hours... whoehaaaaa

Mind you, I am in favor of them, but they will not last 1/10th of the time indicated, and the 5-year warranty some producers promise... whahahahahahahahaa.... You are supposed to send them back to the manufacturer, which will cost you a hell of a lot more than just buying a new one... lol

BelgianK