Jan 16, 2009
JD
I think I'll go to a professional graphics house to do the blow-up

I was in the graphic arts business a million yrs ago

thx

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When Christopher Columbus first sailed by that part of the coast, he named the strait that he sailed through, between Samaná and La Española, “Estrecho de las Flechas” (Arrows Strait). Samaná was inhabited not by Taínos, but by a small colony of Carib indians that ‘welcomed’ Columbus et al with a ‘shower’ of arrows with their points dipped in some natural poison.

According to Columbus, the strait was very shallow. Probably one or various earthquakes through the centuries eventually pushed the underwater ground high enough to become an isthmus.

There is actually some debate to where the firat encounter with the inhaibitants of Samana actaully occured. According to Bernardo Vega in one of his books he says that the most likely place was playa Rincon. The chronicals mentions high hills which rose Up from the beach and that the beach was a few KM long which match playa Rincon. The local inhabitants that were characterized by having long hair and expert archers fired an arrow into the butt of a spanish soldier. They then tried to force some of the crew into the jungle. Thats when the ensuing battle occured where several indians were killed. Its historical significance is that it was the first violent conflict between the old and new world. They did not have poisonous arrows and there has not been any geological changes in the peninsula of Samana over the last 500 yeays.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW - you might want to look at some of the Admiralty Charts . No 3689 Haiti to Puerto Rico. It shows all of Dominican Republic and dates back to 1908 .
In fact it was based on Charts from the 1850s. It is quite interesting and shows many features lost today.

Olly

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Olly -- congratulate The Team on that one !!
hahaha

Having the 1st lighthouse in the New World, one would expect Hispaniola to figure prominently
on nautical maps

Good idea... hadn't thought of it